Fix for 8.30 app on GO 720 & 920 stuttering & slow refresh

TomTom Model(s)
Go-920 App 9.465 Map N A 895.4438 C&W Europe 8.30 Magellan Explorist 710
Thanks to MikeAlder on the UK site I believe there is finally a fix to the Voice, stuttering, and refresh rate with the 8.30 app on the GO x20 & GO x30.
I have followed his instructions and although I haven't taken the unit on a road test I have done a couple of A-B route demos and everything seem great.

Go_here

Scroll down to third post from bottom and follow instructions.

Last edited:
This appears to have fixed it for me also (at least for demo trips). I'll test it in the car tomorrow, but it's the best alternative so far.

Thanks to MikeAlder on the UK site I believe there is finally a fix to the Voice, stuttering, and refresh rate with the 8.30 app on the GO x20 & GO x30.
I have followed his instructions and although I haven't taken the unit on a road test I have done a couple of A-B route demos and everything seem great.

Go_here

Scroll down to third post from bottom and follow instructions.
I did this (un)authorized update this morning. All went well and the device worked fine after upgrading from 8.300 to 8.320. However: it eliminated computer generated voices entirely? Heck, the standard voices are about 800KB or so in size, the computer generated voices are about 40MB in size. I only had the stuttering problem with computer generated voices. Probably due to processing issues. Heck, I could have selected a non-computer-generated voice to begin with and probably solved the stuttering problem.

Anyway, I restored from my backup back to v8.300 to get the computer-generated voices back and all is well. I guess I'll put up with the stuttering because I prefer the additional things that the computer generated voices can do compared to the non-computer-generated voices.

-Frank

. I guess I'll put up with the stuttering because I prefer the additional things that the computer generated voices can do compared to the non-computer-generated voices.

-Frank

Do the upgrade thing again...... then download the voice [comp generated one] from TT Home. It'll work just like you'd want it to

Do the upgrade thing again...... then download the voice [comp generated one] from TT Home. It'll work just like you'd want it to
Ah... Okay, I'll give it another try now. Update to come.

Update: Well, I re-did everthing, but now my TTHOME will not allow me to Operate Device or Update Device? I didn't try this on my last attempt so I don't know if this worked or not last time. The device itself seems to be working fine. So, I can't download the computer generated voices. When I select Operate Device it says "this funcion is not supported by your operating system." When I select to update it just hangs on the "loading" screen. Ideas?

-Frank

Last edited:
Ah... Okay, I'll give it another try now. Update to come.

Update: Well, I re-did everthing, but now my TTHOME will not allow me to Operate Device or Update Device? I didn't try this on my last attempt so I don't know if this worked or not last time. The device itself seems to be working fine. So, I can't download the computer generated voices. When I select Operate Device it says "this funcion is not supported by your operating system." When I select to update it just hangs on the "loading" screen. Ideas?

-Frank
Everything works for me including updates from Home. I just downloaded GPS fix & mapshare. The only thing that doesn't work in home at the moment is operate my go.

Here Is a liquendo Computer voice file that I am using.

Click_here

Type in the three letter code and click download, wait for free download clock to countdown then click and save download again.

You will need WinRar to open this file and extract it to your TT and overwrite the Liduendo file you just installed with App 8.320

So far this is all working well for me.

I've downloaded the TT update file, as well as the voice of my choosing, but I'm a little confused by the directions on the PGPS site.

Step 5 says to "install" the Navcore 8,320 application using WinRAR, and Step 6 says to "install" the LoquendoTT Voice using WinRAR.

Does the poster mean "extract"? I've never used winrar to "install" anything--or maybe I am unfamiliar with a feature of winrar.

Many thanks for the link. I had everything working except the voices, which I just couldn't get to go without your link.

Now I will test on a short trip.

I've downloaded the TT update file, as well as the voice of my choosing, but I'm a little confused by the directions on the PGPS site.

Step 5 says to "install" the Navcore 8,320 application using WinRAR, and Step 6 says to "install" the LoquendoTT Voice using WinRAR.

Does the poster mean "extract"? I've never used winrar to "install" anything--or maybe I am unfamiliar with a feature of winrar.

with winrar I'm sure the poster meant "extract" be sure to note the target for the extraction -- the device (i.e. G: drive for firmware or folder \Loquendo for voices)

Mule

My GO 730 started stuttering today so I plugged in the power and the problem was solved. Are you guys experiencing the stutter when on battery only?

My GO 730 started stuttering today so I plugged in the power and the problem was solved. Are you guys experiencing the stutter when on battery only?
Nope. Did the same thing to me when USB powered in the car via the standard adapter. In fact, I don't use it on "battery only" much, and never did while 8.300 was installed.

Okay, just did 300 mile trip with Navcore 8.32 and maps 8.15 (as well as the new LoquentoTTS) . Although the stuttering is all but gone, it still has a refresh rate that can vary between 3 times a second to once every 3 seconds (that's too long in my opinion). Also, I use the mp3 player with the fm modulator, and when a spoken instruction comes up, the player skips for a second or two (sounds like a dirty CD skipping).

What's interesting about the fm transmitter is if you pause the music for a few seconds the fm modulator stops transmitting. Too bad they didn't apply this simple solution to the spoken instructions also.

I'm anxiously awaiting the official update.

What's interesting about the fm transmitter is if you pause the music for a few seconds the fm modulator stops transmitting. Too bad they didn't apply this simple solution to the spoken instructions also.

I'm anxiously awaiting the official update.

I've tried the 8.3 and went back to the previous version. I won't be using the 8.3 improvements anyway. So I will wait. Hopingly by the time I buy a new map (next summer), the 8.3 problems will have been fixed. Or I hope the new maps will still work with the 0ld firmware.

For now, my 930 is 'working like a charm'... No problem with its 8.010 or so firmware..

Ask a Question