GO 1000 on FCC website

",,,It comes with an improved user interface, is easier to use..."

I think "improved" is a comparison to the Work 7000 model, which is the corporate twin of the GO740.

I think all they're doing is creating a fleet-focused variant of the GO 1000, with all the Work-based server tracking/dispatching integration.

If the Pro models are simply a different menu and work maps/ PC interface why do they need seperate listings on FCC - I would have thought a direct read accross from the other model tested would apply. Only a hardware difference would require re-testing or does the FCC work in a different way? - Mike
There must indeed be something modified in the electronics. You don't go back for retest just for the heck of it. Too much time and money (and potential aggravation if you don't pass and have to do remedial work) involved.

A few possible reasons for separate testing of those units ...

Change to clock rates throw off any previous measurement. I noted that the models in question are expected to provide speedier routing results, etc. It's entirely possible that the Work units are operating at a higher processor speed. That alone sends them back to retest.

Some sort of new interface option that requires an external cable or device to be connected. As noted earlier, if there's some sort of peripheral device or dongle that can be attached, especially with a cable, the FCC (and CE - same rules apply) boys want to see it connected to see if it radiates anything interesting. If they've added any new I/O to those units, they'd have to be connected and retesting done.

Board layout changes or population of previously unpopulated component areas of a board can really change the emissions of a unit. There's a bit of an art to how you run traces to keep from accidentally creating Radio Free TomTom. If they had occasion to do anything significant, the agencies won't be inclined to offer a quick paperwork shuffle and call it a "permissive change". Instead, they'll be back in retest.

That's actually not the case since the Verizon phones will be backwards compatible with cdma while Vodafone's will not be.

It'll be a long time before they phase out the cdma portion.

There are different flavors of LTE based on backwards compatibility needs.

My rationale for LTE isn't the speed. LTE is the first time Vodafone and Verizon will be on the same hardware platform. I assume TT needs Vodafone in the mix to launch HD traffic in the USA.

However, with all the shareholder pressure for Vodafone to sell their Verizon Wireless stake, you never know what might happen.

The test report only approves bluetooth functionality, no approval for a LIVE internal modem. I'm wondering if Tomtom doesn't want to disclose it's LIVE modem yet (I had always speculated that Tomtom may go Verizon LTE to launch USA HD traffic via Voafone's tech, if that's the case the device would have to be 700mhz and maybe they don't want to disclose that yet).

With the release of the GO 2405 and 2505, it appears to explain the FCC approval for bluetooth frequencies without LIVE modem approval. Tomtom ended up releasing GO devices that supported bluetooth and not a modem.

All the references to LIVE in the device names aren't relevant to the FCC. If no cellular modem frequencies are approved, no cellular modem can be sold.

A modem-frequency test/appoval will have to show up before Tomtom sells a new LIVE device in the USA.

Ask a Question