Frozen TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Start 40 / Start 45
From reading other threads I see this is a common problem with this model. I really regret buying it. However, since I can't find my receipt I suppose I'll have to try and resolve the issue on my own.

I turn it on and it freezes on the screen showing the TOMTOM and a cord connected to it. When I unplug from my computer it flashes the X and when I plug the USB back into my computer the X goes away. The device does NOTHING else. My computer won't even recognize it so I can't even open it to reformat. I've reset it, charged the battery fully (2 hours) and it's still frozen. It worked for the first week I bought it and then it froze up in the middle of my vacation in a large city!

Now what?

If anyone has any advice at all, please bear in mind that I'm very "device illiterate". I can read directions one hundred times and still not be able to figure things out. Crayons and paper, please.

You said you did reset the unit. Did you hold the power button until you heard the drum sounds (about 20 seconds holding the button)?

I did, yes. I've done that several times and it used to bring up a black screen with system info on it. Now it goes straight to the screen with the device photo/cord and freezes there.

And when you connect to the computer, there isn't recognition that the device is showing as an external drive?

I did, yes. I've done that several times and it used to bring up a black screen with system info on it. Now it goes straight to the screen with the device photo/cord and freezes there.
Normally --- if you continue to hold the button down AFTER the drums and logo, only then do you get the diag screen which is black with white text. It is important to release the button immediately when you see the logo and hear the drums, and not continue to hold it beyond that time. However, it sounds like you are past that point in the fix-it process now.

@canderson You are correct. I get the info screen when I keep it pressed past drums and logo. I'm looking at it now. Still no change however. *sigh* I really love the GPS technology and probably rely too much on it anyway.

No need or use at all to do that. It won't help you to go to the diag screen. I just needed to be certain that your button wasn't somehow stuck.

OK. I now have something I will attach for you. It assumes you are running a windows PC. I need for you to dump it into the folder of your choice, unzip it, and execute the *.exe file. It's all standalone code, so it makes no changes to registry values or anything of that nature. All of the necessary items will reside in the folder where you unzip the file I attach.

Then I want you to review what it reports regarding your Start 40 when it is connected to your PC and powered on, assuming it shows up at all. In particular, I need to know (scrolling over a bit on the display as needed) the following:

Device type
Connected
Drive letter
Product name
Service name

Attachments

• usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 247
What happens if, while your device is connected, you attempt to copy a small file from wherever on your PC to drive E?
(FWIW, though - I am very distressed that the Product Name field is blank).
How long ago did you buy this unit? Still under warranty?

Not gonna work. As soon as I chose a small file and clicked "send to", E: drive was not an option. Only C: and D: (my dvd drive). E: drive isn't recognized.

Now it goes straight to the screen with the device photo/cord and freezes there.
And when you connect to the computer, there isn't recognition that the device is showing as an external drive?
I am a little lost here.
I thought that Start 45 is a HOME device and thus your question if it is recognised as a separated drive letter by Windows Explorer.
I have only seen the screen with the device photo/cord on Nav3 devices.

Maybe these photos will help you understand? This is the screen I get when I start up, drums or not. The other photo is the serial number that shows what model I have.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 341
Not gonna work. As soon as I chose a small file and clicked "send to", E: drive was not an option. Only C: and D: (my dvd drive). E: drive isn't recognized.
Ugh. We've hit a bit of a wall, then. If we cannot get the thing recognized as an external drive by your PC, none of our usual tricks are going to help you. Unless there's some issue about either the cable or the USB port, I'm out of ideas that don't include returning it for another one. I've seen what you are describing, but only once, and it had to do with a USB port that had taken a few too many ESD hits during a dry winter here. Some devices would be recognized, but not all. If you have a known good cable and are using a rear (primary) USB port on your machine, then as I say, there's not a whole lot else we can do. If you can find a cable/port combination that allows you to copy a file back and forth to it, we can probably resolve this. If not, it's back to the store with that one, I'm afraid.

OK, add on question, When you right click on the E: drive, then click Properties at the very bottom do you get something similar to this (although mine is 4 GB):

Internal_sample.jpg

Ask a Question