Found shorter route - how to correct it on TOMTOM 720

Jen

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hello,

I'm pretty new with my TT 720 and still learning a whole lot about it. Question is, I know of a much shorter route to get to a specific destination however tomtom always wants me to take the longer route. I have tried deleted a section such a a hwy it wanted me to take to see if that woudl make a difference and it still took me a longer route.

So how do I make the route I want and save it for future, as this would be a common destination I would go.

Thanks so much!

Hello,

I'm pretty new with my TT 720 and still learning a whole lot about it. Question is, I know of a much shorter route to get to a specific destination however tomtom always wants me to take the longer route. I have tried deleted a section such a a hwy it wanted me to take to see if that woudl make a difference and it still took me a longer route.

So how do I make the route I want and save it for future, as this would be a common destination I would go.

Thanks so much!

Create the route as an Itinerary with way points and save it. The next time, you can retrieve this itinerary.

Hmmmmm.... interesting, ok I will give that a try and see how that works. Sounds great! thanks for the prompt reply :)

Also if you don't mind I have another question.... why is it when I take my daughter skiing to get their it brings me one route but to get home it brings me a different route, yet coming home is the faster and better way to go? I found that odd that it would bring me one way yet back a another?? is that common?

Thanks again :)

Hmmmmm.... interesting, ok I will give that a try and see how that works. Sounds great! thanks for the prompt reply :)

Also if you don't mind I have another question.... why is it when I take my daughter skiing to get their it brings me one route but to get home it brings me a different route, yet coming home is the faster and better way to go? I found that odd that it would bring me one way yet back a another?? is that common?

Thanks again :)

Depends...did you ask for the Fastest Route? The Shortest Route? Were Toll Roads involved?

Others have experienced the same situation....who knows what's in the little algorithm brain of the unit, sometimes? :rolleyes:

Depends...did you ask for the Fastest Route? The Shortest Route? Were Toll Roads involved?

Others have experienced the same situation....who knows what's in the little algorithm brain of the unit, sometimes? :rolleyes:

Actually it's set to the fastest route and no toll roads involved. It's weird for sure, but bottom line I guess is it still got me to where I needed to go. I live in Ottawa so to drive over to the Quebec side for me was scarey. :)

Actually it's set to the fastest route and no toll roads involved. It's weird for sure, but bottom line I guess is it still got me to where I needed to go. I live in Ottawa so to drive over to the Quebec side for me was scarey. :)

I'm curious, Jen.....

You mentioned you were taking your daughter skiing. What did you set the 'Navigate to' destination to? The city? (like 'St. Agathe'?). I don't think there are poi's for ski resorts ... not Canadian, anyway.

I think, and this is a wild theory, that it takes into account Left Hand turns (or right, if you drive on the left side of the road). This morning, I had to take my truck into the dealership. When I was navigating from my work, it wanted me to drive an extra 3 or 4 km in a clockwise direction, taking a bunch of right hand turns, in order to get there. That was via the Fastest Route option. After I shook my head clear of disbelief, I recalculated with the shortest route, and it took me on the exact route that I would have taken without the GPS (with two left hand turns involved). (And before anyone asks, no I am not avoiding anything and I don't have traffic addon.. :) )

I think, and this is a wild theory, that it takes into account Left Hand turns (or right, if you drive on the left side of the road). This morning, I had to take my truck into the dealership. When I was navigating from my work, it wanted me to drive an extra 3 or 4 km in a clockwise direction, taking a bunch of right hand turns, in order to get there. That was via the Fastest Route option. After I shook my head clear of disbelief, I recalculated with the shortest route, and it took me on the exact route that I would have taken without the GPS (with two left hand turns involved). (And before anyone asks, no I am not avoiding anything and I don't have traffic addon.. :) )

I think you may have hit upon the issue (or problem).... There are threads here and elsewhere that have users **convinced** the latest routing algorithm firmware (in 720's anyway) is flawed in that it has an aversion to left hand turns.

Last edited:
I'm curious, Jen.....

You mentioned you were taking your daughter skiing. What did you set the 'Navigate to' destination to? The city? (like 'St. Agathe'?). I don't think there are poi's for ski resorts ... not Canadian, anyway.

I hit 'Navigate to' City ' Wakefield' address '358 Edelweiss' it got me there however I must say that it told me I reached my destination before I was actually there. I new it was further up the road cause I can see the hill and lights. So it was a little off on telling me I reached my destiniation, but I figured no big deal.

And your right there is no poi's for ski resorts. There shoudl be though! perhaps I will work on that.

I hit 'Navigate to' City ' Wakefield' address '358 Edelweiss' it got me there however I must say that it told me I reached my destination before I was actually there. I new it was further up the road cause I can see the hill and lights. So it was a little off on telling me I reached my destiniation, but I figured no big deal.

And your right there is no poi's for ski resorts. There shoudl be though! perhaps I will work on that.

The determination of 'reaching the destination' is a limitation of the map being used, not the unit as such. For example, both the TomTom720 and Google place my home 8 houses away from my actual address.

I'm curious, Jen.....

The determination of 'reaching the destination' is a limitation of the map being used, not the unit as such. For example, both the TomTom720 and Google place my home 8 houses away from my actual address.

I see, well I still look at it like it still got me there and big deal if it was a bit off. I love the 720 so far and haven't really experienced any major problems. I got my handsfree to work after a bit, I got my voice recognition to work, I got my contacts from my phone book working and I got my sd card to work that holds all my mp3's. So i can't complain! :D just need to work on how the map sharing and buddies thing works.

Last edited:
I think you may have hit upon the issue (or problem).... There are threads here and elsewhere that have users **convinced** the latest routing algorithm firmware (in 720's anyway) is flawed in that it has an aversion to left hand turns.
Just for the fun of it, I had Suzie TomTom (that's Susan's new household name) give me a route to the dentist yesterday. Heck, I know how to get there, I just want to get some experience with areas I already know to get a feel for what Suzie will likely do to me in areas that I don't know!

Suzie assiduously avoided a stretch of road that would have taken me directly to the highway towards the dentist. She insisted on trying to get me to make a left turn (about 5 times) to take me substantially out of my way to use a road about 1 mile east that she thought a better choice than the far better one I was already using. She certainly didn't have any heartburn about forcing me to make left turns.

The road I was on was a simple "city street", but one on the periphery of the city that has few lights and a 45mph limit. As I ignored her and had begun to travel on this road, Suzie was attempting to force me into a 2 mile detour solely because she saw a road marked as a US highway, even though it goes straight through the middle of town, had a traffic light about every 2 blocks, and has a 25mph speed limit!

As I noted in another thread yesterday, the shortcomings of the routing appear largely related to

a) the lack of knowledge of actual speed limits, and attempts to categorize roads into three simple (too simple) types, and associating a fixed speed with each. In its North American trim (I hear differently about the European model), the 720 has no real idea about actual speed limits, and of course,

b) the 720 has no idea at all about the frequency of stop lights and other fixed impediments to speedy travel.

c) there really are some mapping errors that cause the 720 to be unaware that certain routes are even possible.

So the routing can be really goofy at times, especially in town.

As a result, there's no question that each of us can find better in-town routing from our own personal experience than a TT720 is likely to find. That kind of "insider knowledge" will nearly always produce a better result. These devices, at their current state of the art, really should not be expected to produce the best routes when it comes to "quickest time".

They are very useful when navigating in unknown territory, however. Just be aware that when you ask for "quickest route", while there's a 99.99% chance that the 720 will get you there, a local could probably have gotten you there a bit quicker.

It will be a while before the state of mapping and real-time traffic information makes it possible to say with any certainty that a GPS nav unit will be able to produce as good a result as a native could with any frequency. In the meanwhile, it's going to be necessary to accept a change in expectations, and understand that units like this are good for routing in unknown territory, and with real-time traffic working decently, avoiding messy jams that can be routed around.

Last edited:
Just for the fun of it, I had Suzie TomTom (that's Susan's new household name) give me a route to the dentist yesterday. Heck, I know how to get there, I just want to get some experience with areas I already know to get a feel for what Suzie will likely do to me in areas that I don't know!

Suzie assiduously avoided a stretch of road that would have taken me directly to the highway towards the dentist. She insisted on trying to get me to make a left turn (about 5 times) to take me substantially out of my way to use a road about 1 mile east that she thought a better choice than the far better one I was already using. She certainly didn't have any heartburn about forcing me to make left turns.

The road I was on was a simple "city street", but one on the periphery of the city that has few lights and a 45mph limit. As I ignored her and had begun to travel on this road, Suzie was attempting to force me into a 2 mile detour solely because she saw a road marked as a US highway, even though it goes straight through the middle of town, had a traffic light about every 2 blocks, and has a 25mph speed limit!

As I noted in another thread yesterday, the shortcomings of the routing appear largely related to

a) the lack of knowledge of actual speed limits, and attempts to categorize roads into three simple (too simple) types, and associating a fixed speed with each. In it's North American trim (I hear differently about the European model), the 720 has no real idea about actual speed limits, and of course,

b) the 720 has no idea at all about the frequency of stop lights and other fixed impediments to speedy travel.

c) there really are some mapping errors that cause the 720 to be unaware that certain routes are even possible.

So the routing can be really goofy at times, especially in town.

As a result, there's no question that each of us can find better in-town routing from our own personal experience than a TT720 is likely to find. That kind of "insider knowledge" will nearly always produce a better result. These devices, at their current state of the art, really should not be expected to produce the best routes when it comes to "quickest time".

They are very useful when navigating in unknown territory, however. Just be aware that when you ask for "quickest route", while there's a 99.99% chance that the 720 will get you there, a local could probably have gotten you there a bit quicker.

It will be a while before the state of mapping and real-time traffic information makes it possible to say with any certainty that a GPS nav unit will be able to produce as good a result as a native could with any frequency. In the meanwhile, it's going to be necessary to accept a change in expectations, and understand that units like this are good for routing in unknown territory, and with real-time traffic working decently, avoiding messy jams that can be routed around.

I totally agree with what you are saying and have myself experienced TT bringing me for a ride in areas I was fimiliar with and taking routes where I think what the heck??? but at the end of the day the hole idea is to not have it navigate you obviously to where you know where you are going, but to get you there if you don't know where you are going and I have experienced so far it has done it's job in doing so. Longer, Fastest or Shortest route at the end it brings me there. If you know a quicker route, do you know how to input that into the tt to save for future? Dhn mentioned intinerary, I haven't used that feature yet, what about you?

I use 'Susie' as well. (as an aside, I stumbled upon a splashscreen somewhere that showed Susie, or his idea of her. Gee, I wish I had dl it:eek: ).

Anyway, what I would find cool but is w-a-y above the capabilities of Tomtom (or any other GPS, I suspect) is this: I create a route and, as happens, ignore some of Susie's suggestions as to where to turn, exit, etc. The next time I plan that same route, it would be nice if Susie suggested exactly the ultimate route I took, right from the get-go.

But I think that requires AI, doesn't it?

If you know a quicker route, do you know how to input that into the tt to save for future? Dhn mentioned intinerary, I haven't used that feature yet, what about you?
I believe DHN has, in suggesting the use of the itinerary function, about taken the solution as far as you can. It allows you to force a specific set of directions on the 720 based upon your own preferred route. You specify A to B, B to C, C to D, and do it in such a way as to leave the 720 with few options apart from your own preferred route. If you specify the itinerary in sufficient detail to avoid any but really silly options, there's no way the 720 will deviate from it.

I'm sure somebody will pipe up and ask what, apart from a real short term memory problem, the point of all of this is when you already know your specific route so well that you could punch it into the 720 as an itinerary.... ???

One reason that pops immediately to mind (apart from the amusement), is TRAFFIC reporting. Unless you and your 720 agree on your routing, the traffic information provided will be for a route that you don't plan to take! By forcing an itinerary (e.g., your preferred home to work route every day), you can be assured that if the TT system has traffic data for your route, you'll get that instead of the information for whatever oddball route the 720 has in mind for you!

I crafted an Itinerary for a route from Seattle to Lee Vining, CA. The initial route the 920 chose was over more freeway until the last screaming turn.

I know the route I chose is more direct although along possibly slower roads but much more scenic. Now, yes, I do know the route but it involves a number of smaller highway intersections pretty much in the middle of NOWHERE. Now, the 920 can warn me about upcoming turns rather than me having really study the map and try remember, yes, about 25 miles is the intersection I'm looking for.

I used Google and a tool that takes that route and converts it to a TT itn file.

What I did to limit its options was to pick points (via's or destinations) JUST AFTER the intersection - that way it makes the turn at the Intersection to that "next via" and then again, just past the next intersection, and again, down the road to where I wanted it to stop. Now looking over the TT route, it appears to stick to the roads I want. Whether it will in real life as I travel along these roads is another question - once in the field, Suzie might decide something else is better as I hit an intersection.

I, too, am using it locally but am sometimes confounded by its routes since I KNOW my areas. Next summer in Los Angeles may be interesting and you may never hear from me again, if Suzie does something stupid and I oblige!!!

What we REALLY need is a "record" function. For example, if I drive a route that I know is better than what the GPS is offering, I hit a start recording button, and it records the route I take. When I arrive, I hit stop recording, and it sends the information to TomTom via MapShare.
I'd ALSO like to see it record the trip especially if it is an area that does not have the roads already mapped.
Wouldn't require any AI, and I am damned sure it is possible to do it - they'd just have to add the functionality to do so.

What I'd like to see on TT or 3'rd party is a way to have the voice talk back to you a bit. Right now I have DR. Evil has me voice and if I take a diffrent way then he says I think it would be great to have him say "you Idot follow my directions" or some thing like that. Or Yoda saying "follow my directions you must" I just think it would be a blast.:D

What we REALLY need is a "record" function. For example, if I drive a route that I know is better than what the GPS is offering, I hit a start recording button, and it records the route I take. When I arrive, I hit stop recording, and it sends the information to TomTom via MapShare.
I'd ALSO like to see it record the trip especially if it is an area that does not have the roads already mapped.
Wouldn't require any AI, and I am damned sure it is possible to do it - they'd just have to add the functionality to do so.
It's actually sorta doable using the itinerary function, creating "waypoints" as you go. If you set an option for your "Quick Menu" for "Add Position to Favorites" after each turn you make on your trip, and a few points along the way just past turns for optional routes, you could then use those coordinates to make a rock solid itinerary that the 720 couldn't try to stray from.

Of course, it would be a lot nicer to just say "Go" at the beginning and "Stop" at the end!

What is a "quick menu"? That's a new term for me...

And yeah, GO and STOP would be preferable for the route selection... But an automatic long/lat reading every second when recording roads that aren't on the map would be needed to "paint" an accurate picture of the road and it's bends/curves.

Ask a Question