Fix for GO720 Poor Window Mount Suction Cup

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
For the groups info.

My window mount kept falling off.

Easy/cheap solution is to use sticky back velcro.

Works Great.

If the mount is placed properly, it shouldn't fall off....

Clean both the cup and the windshield where it is to be placed. Use a bit of spit on the mount and press with thumb and forefinger of both hands. You are trying to squeeze out the air through the slits in the cup. So, use some pressure. Then mount the unit.

I tried all that several times on both the windshield and plastic circle mounting disk. It would eventually fall off.

If you want a better windscreen mount for your x20/ x30 device have a look at the EasyPort Mount TomTom have been offering for some months now, its a much better solution although I have to say I have never had my standard x20/ x30 mount fail or fall off the screen when attached correctly - Mike

I think it has to do with how much curvature the glass has at the mount point. I like mine mounted in the lower left of the window and it seems that the window is curved more at that point. I've had many more mount failures there than when I had it mounted in the middle of the windshield.

I just got an Arkon mount and am just waiting on an AMPS to TT GO adapter. That thing doesn't move.

If the mount is placed properly, it shouldn't fall off....

Clean both the cup and the windshield where it is to be placed. Use a bit of spit on the mount and press with thumb and forefinger of both hands. You are trying to squeeze out the air through the slits in the cup. So, use some pressure. Then mount the unit.

WIth ALL due respect --- I had a TT mount issue as well. All of the cleaning and other misc tricks that I knew didn't work. It would be fine, then, all of a sudden, it was raining TomTom.

I purchased an aftermarket mount (from mountguys?) that works perfectly, and has many more adjustment axes with adjusting screws.

I have an older post with the mount details. If folks have them and they are working good --- FANTASTIC. Can't say that was my experience. I drive a pick-up, and the windshield does not have much curvature at all.

I have not had the issue of it falling off the window...I guess I have been lucky. But when it does, velcro seems like a good way to go

Even my old cheap Mio C310x came with a better mount than the TT. It was even adjustable for foward/backwards as well as up/down and left/right/

No problems here with a clean window and some light spit cover. In a Honda Accord 2008, front windshield in the bottom-center. The only time it will fall is when there's big temperature change, like -30 Celsius and interior parking at 20 Celcius.

Once I had lots of problems and it was after I carried the bracket in my luggage. I cleaned the suction cup carefully to remove all cloth lint/dust. Don't use paper towel or facial tissue! They leave dust who will impair stickyness. If you have nothing lint-free to dry the cup, leave it wet. I then again added some magical spit and voil?!

Curves are another big problem. Take a credit card and hold it sideways to the window so, one long thin side make contact with the window. If you can slip a piece of paper between the center of card and the window, checking all angles, chances are the suction cup won't hold. In these cases, a deeper, softer cup will help. That's often why aftermarket holders work better: they are deeper so they can follow the curve more closely. The best are the ones with a ratchet action used to "suck" the cup on the window.

I spent $15 for a vent mount on E-Bay. Works great. Looks great. Easier to reach. Much better than putting it on the windshield.

Mine flew out of my window about a month back with the stock mount. I had done the spit method too, and pushed really hard against the windshield. STILL fell off and flew out of my passenger side window while making a left turn. That was a crappy experience (Literally since the screen landed on a piece of poop)

Did it still work? If so, that's quite a publicity stunt! "Even while deep in s**t, it still work!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's the 100 degree days we have in Texas or what, but I've had 2 Tomtom 720's and both of them don't stick on the windshield (2002 ford pick-em-up truck). I even tried bringing the suction cup inside at work just in case it was the heat messing them up but that didn't work. Did everything, from wiping the windshield with alcohol, to spitting on the suction cup and giving it a firm pull to make sure it's on there good. It'll hold, but after 25-30 minutes it falls off and I have to feel around the floorboard trying to pick up my Tomtom while driving 70 miles an hour.

Just ordered the Arkon TTGO115 mount and hopefully I won't have to worry about my TT falling off anymore.

Mine stayed on for a year, through cold winter and hot summer here in Denver, Colorado. I just recently replaced it with a vent-mount to get it closer to the driver. But my suction mount sure worked good for me. It never came off even once in a year. I never even took it off once, except recently when I removed it on purpose. It was as if it was cemented on... :)

-Frank

Ask a Question