fix for 9.058 traffic timeout? Sick of using buddies!!

First, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, after deleting all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, use WinRar to extract the contents of the cab file to the unit, overwriting existing files if prompted.

I just did this. Now the device can't find my maps. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Earble

I just did this. Now the device can't find my maps. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Earble
Uh oh. dhn was pretty specific about his instructions "NO folders or their contents". You may have deleted your map folder.

Using your PC, do you still see the US/Canada/Mexico folder there? If not, I really do hope you took dhn's other advice on doing the Explorer backup first.

[Say hello to Uncle Tony's and Pat Mitchell's for me, would you?]

When you use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit, do you see a specific map folder with stuff in it?

Have you tried a reset on the unit, holding the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear a drum roll.

Also try installing & running this (3 times):

Clear Flash tool

When you use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit, do you see a specific map folder with stuff in it?

I see a folder called maps with a single 7KB file named USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.tlv.

I also see a folder called USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P that has 163 files totaling 1.6GB in it.

Have you tried a reset on the unit, holding the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear a drum roll.

Yes.

Also try installing & running this (3 times):

Clear Flash tool

Done.

When I disconnect and turn on the device, it still says "No Maps Found".

Earble

Uh oh. dhn was pretty specific about his instructions "NO folders or their contents". You may have deleted your map folder.

Using your PC, do you still see the US/Canada/Mexico folder there? If not, I really do hope you took dhn's other advice on doing the Explorer backup first.

No way would I try something like this without a backup. The map folders are identical, at least in number of files and total size. So I'm hoping that worst case I can reinstall 9.058.

[Say hello to Uncle Tony's and Pat Mitchell's for me, would you?]

We moved to Bing in 2008, haven't gotten to either place yet. But I'll take your comment as recommendations and give them a try. I'll let them know you sent me. :)

Earble

Please confirm this for me. In the USA_and_Canada_and Mexico_P folder is there a file called USA_and_Canada_and Mexico_P.meta.dct ??

You may have to adust advanced settings of View in Folder Options in Control Panel to UNcheck 'hide extension for known file types'.

The file SHOULD be there.

Please confirm this for me. In the USA_and_Canada_and Mexico_P folder is there a file called USA_and_Canada_and Mexico_P.meta.dct ??

You may have to adust advanced settings of View in Folder Options in Control Panel to UNcheck 'hide extension for known file types'.

The file SHOULD be there.

The folder name is USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.

The file name is USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-261.meta.dct

They are the same in the backup folder and on the device.

Does that make sense? Thanks very much for your help.

Earble

It does.........

I'll draw supermod mvl's attention to this thread (again). I would presume he offered up the proper application in his link to you but, maybe ................

Anyway, check back into this thread later and see if he can offer some advise.

I've never seen a post of someone who attempted to downgrade apps on a 340S LIVE, so I don't know if there's a map incompatibility.

There another way to install the app that may be more reliable.

- restore your backup (so that everything works again)
- perform these steps to remove/reinstall the application
- Tomtom HOME will reinstall 8.562, and then offer a further upgrade to 9.058. Decline the second update.

Back to Square One

I have a working device again. I'll give the downgrade a shot again at some point.

Thanks very much. If nothing else, I'm learning the device. I'll be more comfortable when I start to trick it out later. :)

Earble

There another way to install the app that may be more reliable.

...<directions snipped>...

- Tomtom HOME will reinstall 8.562, and then offer a further upgrade to 9.058. Decline the second update.

I just did this. Everything worked as you described... and the device couldn't find the map. So I upgraded back to 9.058.

I'll live with this for now, and tilt at this windmill another day. Thanks again.

Earble

anyone caught wind of a fix for 9.05X's timeouts?

I opened the ticket YET AGAIN at TT to remind them

I am sure I will get the same canned soft/hard reset instructions back.

There is a post on Pocket GPS World in the Uk saying that amongst the list of Tomtom navcores available for download is v9.120 for 750. Some people have tried it and find it has fixed a lot of bugs. The question is being asked of TT as to why they have not released it via Home?

what worries me is with talk of TT killing the 740, we will get stuck without a fix for this damn timeout

mmm might be time to give up and switch to MotionX through my headunit!

Is anyone out there still running 9.054 firmware on their 740? Thanks to the new bleeping version of Home, I was forced to update the firmware in order to update anything at all (complaint regarding this duly registered with TomTom already).

If need be, I can always go back to 9.054 just by copying the requisite stuff for 9.054 back to my 740 from my backup copies after any updates, but what a PITA that will be. The bootloader is the same for 9.054 and 9.058, so no worries about doing so.

Anyway, I ask about 9.054 since it NEVER timed out on me when using Traffic or any other of the Live services.

Thanks to the new bleeping version of Home, I was forced to update the firmware in order to update anything at all

I didn't know the new version of Home had sound effects? :p

Seriously, why not just revert to the previous version of Home and stay there.

I posted up a link tonight in this post
Uninstall it and download/install a previous...

If you want a different version we can probably find it.

I didn't know the new version of Home had sound effects? :p

Seriously, why not just revert to the previous version of Home and stay there.

I posted up a link tonight in this post
Uninstall it and download/install a previous...

If you want a different version we can probably find it.

Andy,
THANK YOU
I've been looking for the link to roll back home.
I'm using 8.371 which uses AT&T network code 31410
9.058 uses T-Mobile network code 31026 which gives the time outs.

As I noted in the mod forum (I think it was there, anyway), I have already registered my complaint with TomTom about this new version of Home, and Tech Support actually offered a 2.3 version since I am running XP. Good chuckle. I advised the TS on the other end that I had retained a copies of some prior versions (2.7.6.2056, and the 2.8.0.2146 you pointed to) and would use one of those if I need to.

Meanwhile, while I can always revert to an earlier version of Home2 if need be, we're here to provide some answers, and however annoying it is for a little while, I need to be playing with this latest rather ugly version 2.8.1.2218 to see if it offers up any additional surprises.

I'm just glad to have discovered that I can also back up to 9.054 if needed - the bootloader is the same, and I won't get bit there. That was actually my only real concern in all of this. Thus far, 9.058 hasn't dropped traffic, but I've only had it out for a day so far.

Ask a Question