Firmware

voice with 7.20 only?

I have a firmware upgrade tp 8.010 and no.....i do not have a back-up of the old version. Map is 7.2 as well..........can I get voice?

I have a firmware upgrade tp 8.010 and no.....i do not have a back-up of the old version. Map is 7.2 as well..........can I get voice?

Well........check these out.

Do you have a file called support_asr.dat with a 1 in it (nothing else, no spaces, no carriage returns) in the asr folder? If not, create one using Notepad. Make sure the file is NOT really called support_asr.dat.txt. Set folder view to show extensions for known file types to check that out.

With the file in the asr folder, you need csspeechxx.dat files in your North_America map folder, a bunch of them (1 for every state and 1 for Canada). Do you see these files in that folder? If so, VR should work. If not, look in the download folder where your NA map first got saved on your computer. The NA map file will be zipped so use winzip or the like to view the contents. You should see the csspeech.dat files there. Extract them and copy them to the NA map folder on your unit. There may be space issue putting all of them in the folder so, perhaps, be selective and don't copy files for states you'll never drive in.

Report back with your results.

Thanks for the info.......here is the problem; Due to my arguing with tomtom, i got the new maps sent to me for free (long story)...so I have ver 7.2 on my maps....HOWEVER....tomtom sent it to my tomtom home acct........so there is no file to go back to (ie-zip, etc). I don't have the csspeechxx.dat files in my North_America map folder. Is there a way someone can send them to me? I do have the support_asr.dat file, but i guess it won't due much good without the others!

Thanks for the info.......here is the problem; Due to my arguing with tomtom, i got the new maps sent to me for free (long story)...so I have ver 7.2 on my maps....HOWEVER....tomtom sent it to my tomtom home acct........so there is no file to go back to (ie-zip, etc). I don't have the csspeechxx.dat files in my North_America map folder. Is there a way someone can send them to me? I do have the support_asr.dat file, but i guess it won't due much good without the others!

Your map folder is saved in your computer.
the default settings is usually 'My documents/TomTom HOME/Download/map/North America - North America.zip

Your map folder is saved in your computer.
the default settings is usually 'My documents/TomTom HOME/Download/map/North America - North America.zip

Thanks for the info, but I seem to be lacking the files...actually the actual folder. This is what I have:

My documents-tomtom-HOME-Downloads-

Within "downloads" I have "carsymbols" ,"ephemeris", "poi", "tab icons", "download cache", "loquendovoice", "program"......don't see maps with the ccspeach files! HELP!

If you got the map from TomTom using Home, the zip file MUST be somewhere on your hard drive since anything dl from TT first goes to the hd and then gets installed on your computer.

If you use Home and Add Maps/Voices and move through the screens, you should come to Items on My computer. Does that show a listing for 'map' and, if so, can you expand the row listing to see North America there?

The other method you may want try is use windows explorer and cut your map and paste it somewhere in your hard drive.
Next connect your device to HOME and reinstall the map.
HOME should still recoginize that the map is still needed in your account.
If this doesn't work, you can place your map folder back to your TomTom drive.

THANKS FOR THE 2 LAST REPLIES.......

dhn........YOUR IDEA DIDN'T WORK.......BUT i DID TRY IT. i FOLLOWED pEDRO AND RELOADED MY MAP.....HAD TO DELETE A FEW VOICES SINCE THERE WASN'T ROOM.....BUT IT WORKED!!!!!

tHAKS A BUNCH!

VR icons greyed out

i bought GO 720 a few days ago. no VR was on it when i opened it. i have read all the post as to how to get VR. i eventually got the icons to appear on my screen but they are greyed out.

where do i go on my tomtom to see what firmware i have and what maps i have? i have updated my maps and done all that but i do not know where on the tomtom i have to go to verify the software that is on my device.

has anyone else had this problem of the icons being on the screen but you cannot select them? any help would be greatly appreciated. if you have any advice please put it in simple terms as i am not a computer genius. thanks again.

dparker

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the firmware version. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map and build number.

Please report all information here. Thanks.

Will VR work with firmware 8.3 and map version 710? I have the support file in the ASR directory. The icons appear but are greyed out. Also do not have the csspeech files in NA folder.

Anyway to get this to work?

Won't work without the speech files. You can go here to get them, unzip them in the NA map folder, do a pin reset and see if you have any luck.

Not sure what all of that business in the reply above about running TomTom Home was about. Unless the firmware on your unit happens to be "old", the tweak that makes the ASR happen is of the manual do-it-yourself variety.

First, I don't know whether all 720's were originally delivered with the core of the speech recognition included or not. Mine certainly was. However, in the US, none of them were "activated".

In order to activate yours, you will want to connect your 720 to your computer, and respond "Yes" to your 720 when asked if you want a computer connection.

As for TomTom Home, if it comes up, you can just shut it down. It plays no part at all in this process.

You will find that your 720 is recognized as though it were some kind of external USB hard drive (like a "thumb drive", if you know what those are), or as many digital cameras are today (except the devil Sony, going its own way as always).

So you can click on "My Computer", and behold, you'll see your 720 there looking like a hard drive that can be opened.

Click on it. One of the folders you see should be called "ASR" (Auto Speech Recognition). Click on that. It should have a fair number of files in it that start with "acmod3200". If so, you're good to go. If not, you should first assure that the *current* level of software is loaded on your 720. Docking it and letting TomTom Home do its magic will take care of that. I don't know how far before firmware version 7.221 the folks at TT may have incorporated the ASR pieces.

Assuming you are up to date on your firmware, you just need to add one tiny file that contains JUST the number "1" to cause all of that software to work. The file you need is called "support_asr.dat". Once that file is placed in the "ASR" folder, you're done.

The way most people have created this file is to open Notepad, hit the "1" key exactly once (don't even hit "Enter") and save that file to the filename mentioned above. If the name gets a little munged (get's a .txt stuck on the end) by Notepad, just rename it to the name shown.

This system won't allow *.dat files to be attached, but I'm going to attach mine here as a *.doc file (it will have to be renamed from "support_asr.doc" to "support_asr.dat" after it is downloaded). Click on it, save it to your hard drive, rename it, and slide it over into that "ASR" folder, and have fun!

The ASR software handles some basic information for providing destinations, etc., and can be used for speaking town names, street names, and street numbers. I've even told it "NO" in English when it asks if I want to reroute based upon traffic conditions. The instructions should have been in your manual, since the 720/920 seem to share a lot of the same manual information.

I did it and it works fine but the only thing is why when reading house numbers it understand the first digit but not the next digit after. For ex: 14 if I say one it gets it and if I say four it will say repeat and if I say it together as a whole as in fourteen it still doesn't understand. Anyone else have this problem?

I did it and it works fine but the only thing is why when reading house numbers it understand the first digit but not the next digit after. For ex: 14 if I say one it gets it and if I say four it will say repeat and if I say it together as a whole as in fourteen it still doesn't understand. Anyone else have this problem?
That's come up before, but it's been a while. It's a timing thing. I can't recall precisely, but I believe you need to provide more time between the numbers (or just the opposite -- it's late and it's been a long day). Try adding time between numbers, or using less and one or the other works. Do as you have been doing and pronounce the numbers separately.

Won't work without the speech files. You can go here to get them, unzip them in the NA map folder, do a pin reset and see if you have any luck.

Thanks for the link for downloading the speech files. I have the file downloaded and unzipped.

Do I need every state file or just the ones that I will be using?

If you KNOW you won't need certain state files, don't install them .... for now. Just don't delete them. Keep them in a folder on your computer.

I copied midwest states just to see if it worked. It is working except it doesn't do a very good job understanding what I am saying for city name, street name. It seems to recognize the house number better.

Any suggestions on getting it to understand better?

The usual things to try are: speak slower or faster, speak louder or softer, make sure the environment around you is as quiet as possible when you are speaking, have your mouth closer to the microphone, further away, that kind of stuff........:eek:

Oh, you might want to switch voices on the unit, too.

The usual things to try are: speak slower or faster, speak louder or softer, make sure the environment around you is as quiet as possible when you are speaking, have your mouth closer to the microphone, further away, that kind of stuff........:eek:

Oh, you might want to switch voices on the unit, too.

I would like to thank you for all the help. Much appreciated.

One more question. I notice there is a new map available for the Go 720 (version 8.15 I think). I have the free upgrade good for 30 days. If I upgrade, will the VR still work?

Ask a Question