Firmware

Sorry for the delay getting back to this site but I had to download the current map. I loaded everything and everything works great.
Thanx ever so much everyone, this saves a lot of typing.

I am going to play with my new GPS now

Jeff

Mine is 4 bytes, canderson.
Sounds like you have at least a cr/lf (essentially, an "Enter") plus something else at the end of yours. The original person who supplied the hack was very specific about being certain that the file contain only the number "1" by itself, without any additional additional "returns" or other control characters. I haven't tried to break that rule to see what happens. It worked with the single byte, and I didn't see any need to push my luck!

how to upgrade firmware?

Hey guys, i checked my firmware and it says I have 7.220 installed. How do I update my firmware to 7.221? I have the latest TomTom Home installed and when i click to search for updates it says that there is no updates available for my tomtom. Is there a way to manually update my firmware or what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, i checked my firmware and it says I have 7.220 installed. How do I update my firmware to 7.221? I have the latest TomTom Home installed and when i click to search for updates it says that there is no updates available for my tomtom. Is there a way to manually update my firmware or what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

It is strange if it doesn't offer you the latest firmware. When you have HOME turn on, is it logged in with your email account?

Okay, never mind I have figured it out. I was looking at the version using TomTom Home and "Operate My Go", but when i disconnected it from the computer and looked at the version number on the device it was reporting 7.221. This leads me to my next question. I have FW Version 7.221 and I have the North American Map 710.1584. But whe I try to apply the fix to get the voice address recogintion thing to work it only works half way. The Two new icons DO appear but when i click it the reguar screen comes up and i have to type the address in. The only part that actually works with my voice is when it asks for the house number, and even that only works half assed. Any idea why i cant get the Voice address input thing to work? I have created the text file, I put only the number 1 in it. No spaces no hardbrakes, and i have the exact file name. Also the file extention is .dat not .txt. I have my computer enabled to view file extentions so its not mistakenly .dat.txt. I would really appricieate the help guys. Thanks again.

--Ryan

Last edited:
Okay, never mind I have figured it out. I was looking at the version using TomTom Home and "Operate My Go", but when i disconnected it from the computer and looked at the version number on the device it was reporting 7.221. This leads me to my next question. I have FW Version 7.221 and I have the North American Map 710.1584. But whe I try to apply the fix to get the voice address recogintion thing to work it only works half way. The Two new icons DO appear but when i click it the reguar screen comes up and i have to type the address in. The only part that actually works with my voice is when it asks for the house number, and even that only works half assed. Any idea why i cant get the Voice address input thing to work? I have created the text file, I put only the number 1 in it. No spaces no hardbrakes, and i have the exact file name. Also the file extention is .dat not .txt. I have my computer enabled to view file extentions so its not mistakenly .dat.txt. I would really appricieate the help guys. Thanks again.

--Ryan

And you have named the file support_asr.dat AND put it into the asr folder on your unit?

And you have named the file support_asr.dat AND put it into the asr folder on your unit?

Yes that is correct. Like I said, I see the buttons for speech address input appear on my unit, but the functionality is not there.

Yes that is correct. Like I said, I see the buttons for speech address input appear on my unit, but the functionality is not there.

and the icons are NOT greyed out (speech and speech dialogue)?

And you are getting to this by Navigate to-->Address-->Street & Number-->Soken Dialogue

at which the lips are supposed to appear in upper right of unt and you should hear 'State city'?

That isn't happening?

and the icons are NOT greyed out (speech and speech dialogue)?

And you are getting to this by Navigate to-->Address-->Street & Number-->Soken Dialogue

at which the lips are supposed to appear in upper right of unt and you should hear 'State city'?

That isn't happening?

Im going to Navigate to--> Address--> Spoken Address(dialog). When i do that the original screen appears where i have to type the address. The only difference is that there is a little icon at the bottom by the back button that shows a pair of lips speaking into a mic, but the button is grayed out. Here are some picutes of what i am doing.

This first picture is the options that i have under the "address" tab:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3763/step1sy9.jpg

This second picture is what happens when i click "spoken address (dialog)":

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7496/step2ff2.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to Navigate to--> Address--> Spoken Address(dialog). When i do that the original screen appears where i have to type the address. The only difference is that there is a little icon at the bottom by the back button that shows a pair of lips speaking into a mic, but the button is grayed out. Here are some picutes of what i am doing.

This first picture is the options that i have under the "address" tab:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3763/step1sy9.jpg

This second picture is what happens when i click "spoken address (dialog)":

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7496/step2ff2.jpg

For some reason, I can't open the pictures but I'm stymied. I'm sure I'm missing something. If you type in a city and street, is the lip icon at the bottom active for street number?

For some reason, I can't open the pictures but I'm stymied. I'm sure I'm missing something. If you type in a city and street, is the lip icon at the bottom active for street number?

The lip icon is never active, it is always grayed out. It is only when i get to the part where it asks for the house number that the proper voice address input screen appears with the lips in the upper right courner as if it were working. But it only allows me to say one number then it ignores anything else I say. As for the other two parts where it askes for the city and street name, it forces me to type the address in. The only difference is the little greyed out lip icon at the bottom that i mentioned earlier. I have no idea why this isnt working. Im going to try reseting the unit and seeing if that helps. I'll let you guys know tomorrow after I back it up the try the reset.

What happens with a reset using a paperclip?

I'm not sure, but im running out of ideas. I'll see what happens in a little bit, but i just want to backup everything first.

Ps. Try opening the pictures again, they should be working now. For some reason they were temporarily down last night.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but im running out of ideas. I'll see what happens in a little bit, but i just want to backup everything first.

Ps. Try opening the pictures again, they should be working now. For some reason they were temporarily down last night.

Yeah, they do......as you described.

I suffer from: information overload and old timer's disease :eek: in that I'm sure I've read somewhere about the same symptoms you describe before (namely, the voice works [sorta] for the street number only).

But, was it due to Navcore 6.xx being loaded? (you say you have 7.221), was it with USA & Canada maps (you say you have NA maps), was it with only certain models of tomtom? I just don't remember.

Again....if:
1. The map version is NA 7.10
2. The firmware is 7.221
3. The support_asr.dat file with a 1 in it is in the asr folder on the unit

then.......Voice recognition should work.

Hopefully, someone with more insight or just smarter than dumb old me will assist you better than I have been able to.

Yeah, they do......as you described.

I suffer from: information overload and old timer's disease :eek: in that I'm sure I've read somewhere about the same symptoms you describe before (namely, the voice works [sorta] for the street number only).

But, was it due to Navcore 6.xx being loaded? (you say you have 7.221), was it with USA & Canada maps (you say you have NA maps), was it with only certain models of tomtom? I just don't remember.

Again....if:
1. The map version is NA 7.10
2. The firmware is 7.221
3. The support_asr.dat file with a 1 in it is in the asr folder on the unit

then.......Voice recognition should work.

Hopefully, someone with more insight or just smarter than dumb old me will assist you better than I have been able to.

Okay, I tried reseting it and still no luck. I dont think the reset button even does anything. lol. Anyway just to double check I do have map version NA7.10, I do have Firmware 7.221, and i Do have the support_asr.dat file with a 1 in it in the asr folder on the unit. I guess i'm just not lucky enough for it to work. Oh well!!! Thanks for trying to help, i apprieciate it.

--Ryan

Okay, i have one last idea but i need some help. Does anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall the North American map? Thats the only thing i could think of.

Okay, i have one last idea but i need some help. Does anyone know how to uninstall and reinstall the North American map? Thats the only thing i could think of.

I know what you're gonna answer to this but I'll ask, anyway. When you go into the NA map on your unit using Explorer or some other file manager, do you see a file csspeech_(state).dat file for the state you're working with? In other words, if you want the information for Texas, you should see a file where (state) = TX. I don't know where you are located. If in Canada, the letters will be CAN.

Anyway, to your question......

Make sure you have in your download/maps/ folder on your computer a folder called NA_something, I forget exactly. Look in it and make sure everything there seems to appear the same as in the same folder on your unit.

(Also, make sure you use TTHome to do a backup.)

If so, I would make a copy of the entire NA folder THAT IS ON YOR COMPUTER and place it somewhere else on your hard drive .... just in case.

Now, in TomTom home, with your unit docked, go to the selection "Remove items from my unit". It should list a row for map with a + sign. Click it. Should see the NA map listed. Select 'Remove'. May get a warning.

Let it remove it. Now, go to the icon, 'Add maps/voices/etc.' to my unit. You should see a row for map listed that shows the NA map. Choose 'install.

That should be it.

If somehow something gets screwed up, you can select the 'Restore option' from TomTom home.

Good luck.

p.s. Having a rum & coke by your side may assist.;) ;)

I know what you're gonna answer to this but I'll ask, anyway. When you go into the NA map on your unit using Explorer or some other file manager, do you see a file csspeech_(state).dat file for the state you're working with? In other words, if you want the information for Texas, you should see a file where (state) = TX. I don't know where you are located. If in Canada, the letters will be CAN.

Anyway, to your question......

Make sure you have in your download/maps/ folder on your computer a folder called NA_something, I forget exactly. Look in it and make sure everything there seems to appear the same as in the same folder on your unit.

(Also, make sure you use TTHome to do a backup.)

If so, I would make a copy of the entire NA folder THAT IS ON YOR COMPUTER and place it somewhere else on your hard drive .... just in case.

Now, in TomTom home, with your unit docked, go to the selection "Remove items from my unit". It should list a row for map with a + sign. Click it. Should see the NA map listed. Select 'Remove'. May get a warning.

Let it remove it. Now, go to the icon, 'Add maps/voices/etc.' to my unit. You should see a row for map listed that shows the NA map. Choose 'install.

That should be it.

If somehow something gets screwed up, you can select the 'Restore option' from TomTom home.

Good luck.

p.s. Having a rum & coke by your side may assist.;) ;)

LoL, im gonna need a bottle of Vodka the way i feel now. lol, anyway i looked in the NA Folder and yes I do see csspeech_(state).dat file. (im in florida by the way, it says csspeech_FL.dat). I haven't tried reinstalling the map yet but I will in a bit. Thanks for the information on how to do it and I will let you know the results in a few. C ya later.

--Ryan

Success!!

Success!!! It worked, all I needed was Vodka!! LOL, jk. I followed the method you described to uninstall the NA Map and then reinstall it. After the Reinstall the Spoken Address function worked perfectly!!! Thanks for all your help dhn, I really really appreciate it!! Im going to jump and my car now and give commands to my GO!! LoL. Thanks again.

--Ryan

Ask a Question