Firmware

I am new here and I see a bunch of the 'experts' that obviously been here a long time and used their tt's for a long time and they talk their own language. Can anyone tell me in simple english how to get the firmware that will allow me to activate my voice recognition feature?:(

Hello! To get updated firmware, you must connect your TomTom to your computer and open up TomTom HOME. This is the software that came with your unit on a CD. You can also go to tomtom.com and download HOME directly from TomTom. In any case, once you have HOME installed on your computer, launch it, connect your unit to your computer via a usb cable, turn it on, and your computer will detect it and ask if you want to connect to the computer. Click yes on your unit and it should automatically update your unit for you.

Hope this helps!

Not sure what all of that business in the reply above about running TomTom Home was about. Unless the firmware on your unit happens to be "old", the tweak that makes the ASR happen is of the manual do-it-yourself variety.

First, I don't know whether all 720's were originally delivered with the core of the speech recognition included or not. Mine certainly was. However, in the US, none of them were "activated".

In order to activate yours, you will want to connect your 720 to your computer, and respond "Yes" to your 720 when asked if you want a computer connection.

As for TomTom Home, if it comes up, you can just shut it down. It plays no part at all in this process.

You will find that your 720 is recognized as though it were some kind of external USB hard drive (like a "thumb drive", if you know what those are), or as many digital cameras are today (except the devil Sony, going its own way as always).

So you can click on "My Computer", and behold, you'll see your 720 there looking like a hard drive that can be opened.

Click on it. One of the folders you see should be called "ASR" (Auto Speech Recognition). Click on that. It should have a fair number of files in it that start with "acmod3200". If so, you're good to go. If not, you should first assure that the *current* level of software is loaded on your 720. Docking it and letting TomTom Home do its magic will take care of that. I don't know how far before firmware version 7.221 the folks at TT may have incorporated the ASR pieces.

Assuming you are up to date on your firmware, you just need to add one tiny file that contains JUST the number "1" to cause all of that software to work. The file you need is called "support_asr.dat". Once that file is placed in the "ASR" folder, you're done.

The way most people have created this file is to open Notepad, hit the "1" key exactly once (don't even hit "Enter") and save that file to the filename mentioned above. If the name gets a little munged (get's a .txt stuck on the end) by Notepad, just rename it to the name shown.

This system won't allow *.dat files to be attached, but I'm going to attach mine here as a *.doc file (it will have to be renamed from "support_asr.doc" to "support_asr.dat" after it is downloaded). Click on it, save it to your hard drive, rename it, and slide it over into that "ASR" folder, and have fun!

The ASR software handles some basic information for providing destinations, etc., and can be used for speaking town names, street names, and street numbers. I've even told it "NO" in English when it asks if I want to reroute based upon traffic conditions. The instructions should have been in your manual, since the 720/920 seem to share a lot of the same manual information.

Attachments

• support_asr.doc
    1 bytes · Views: 1,054
Last edited:
Thank you canderson. Those were the most clear instructions I have had in a long time.

Now that I have it loaded I need to just figure out how to test it on the tom tom.

Thanks. Matt

Canderson,

Thanks, GREAT instructions!

One question, I keep seeing "firmware 7.221" mentioned...is there really such a firmware or is this just the name given to the procedure you describe? TT website has no 7.221 firmware that I can find...

Thanks again!

Rob

Canderson,

Thanks, GREAT instructions!

One question, I keep seeing "firmware 7.221" mentioned...is there really such a firmware or is this just the name given to the procedure you describe? TT website has no 7.221 firmware that I can find...

Thanks again!

Rob
In order to keep their work sorted out, software engineers are required to release their product with version numbers. The current release version of your TT's firmware is indeed 7.221.

If you tap the area of the lower right corner of your main navigation screen, where the "signal strength" bars are, this will take you to a "system" page of sorts. Besides the # of satellites and the current latitude/longitude info, you'll see (in very tiny print) in the lower right, the word "version" and a number. Should be 7.221 if you're up to date.

Canderson.

I too thank you for the concise instructions. I had to download the new firmware 7.221 from TomTom home when I first got my unit...18 hours ago.

VR ... kewl.! :D

thanx again,

stk

I did everything as described and it all worked right up until I touch speech button after navigate. A bar comes up and says that files are not loaded for ASR. Everthing is in the file and I put "1" in a .dat file. Maybe someone has an answer.

Thanx very much for the help and the info

Jeff

I did everything as described and it all worked right up until I touch speech button after navigate. A bar comes up and says that files are not loaded for ASR. Everthing is in the file and I put "1" in a .dat file. Maybe someone has an answer.

Thanx very much for the help and the info

Jeff

Besides the TTHome firmware of 2.221, you also need NA 7.10 maps and also make sure your file support_asr.dat has NO extension of .txt on it (in other words, the file should NOT be named support_asr.dat.txt) In Control Panel (this is assuming you have a PC, not a MAC), go to Folder options-->View--> Uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types' to make sure.

So, in summary:
1. Firmware 2.221
2. Maps of NA (NOT USA & Canada) 7.10
3. The file support_asr.dat with just the 1 in it (no quotes) and the file in the asr folder on your unit.

Is that what you have and still have problems?

Thanx for the quick reply.
My info page says that I have MAP north america v705.****
is that the version I shouldn't have? If so how/where do I get the 710 version?

Thanx again

Thanx for the quick reply.
My info page says that I have MAP north america v705.****
is that the version I shouldn't have? If so how/where do I get the 710 version?

Thanx again

No, you need version 7.10.

How long ago did you purchase your TomTom? If you bought it within 30 days ago then you can get a free map update from the HOME software. If not, you'll have to purchase the updated map.

I purchased my Tomtom 3 days ago on Friday.
I will check for map upgrade on tomtom home page.

Thanx again

I purchased my Tomtom 3 days ago on Friday.
I will check for map upgrade on tomtom home page.

Thanx again
Don't use the tomtom.com home page. Use the TomTom Home software that came with your 720. In the upper left corner, you will see "File", and in that pulldown, "Use Latest Map Guarantee".

Don't use the tomtom.com home page. Use the TomTom Home software that came with your 720. In the upper left corner, you will see "File", and in that pulldown, "Use Latest Map Guarantee".

Agreed. Go to the TomTom homepage ONLY to download the latest version of the HOME software (the version included on the CD is out of date and does not include the feature that you need). After you download the software, turn on your TomTom and plug it into the dock. The TomTOm should ask if you want it to connect to the computer. Select "Yes". Then in the HOME software click the File menu -> Latest Map Guarantee. The software will then check your edibility and will download the new map.

I warn that it is a very large file (~1.8 GB) so make sure you have a high speed connection and that your computer does not shut down after being idle for a certain amount of time.

RE: Voice recognition installation

just recently I tried to enable voice recognition on my TT 720 by following the above instruction, and it did not work.... no voice recognition or additional icon in the address page. I also made sure that the support_asr.dat did not have a txt at the end.... can anyone help me figure what happen?

just recently I tried to enable voice recognition on my TT 720 by following the above instruction, and it did not work.... no voice recognition or additional icon in the address page. I also made sure that the support_asr.dat did not have a txt at the end.... can anyone help me figure what happen?

What is your current map and software version?

1) Assuming you are running the version 710 map set,

2) make sure that your 720's ASR folder (where you stored that support_asr.dat file) contains numerous files starting with "acmod3200_". If not, you do not yet have the requisite files from the 710 map set that seem to include the voice recognition feature.

3) If so, be sure that the support_asr.dat file you have in there is exactly one byte long (right click it and check "Properties" for the "Size").

Make sure that you do it via the right click, because the smallest allocation of a harddrive cluster is 4 bytes... And even if the file is smaller than 4 bytes, it will still show up as 4 bytes.

Make sure that you do it via the right click, because the smallest allocation of a harddrive cluster is 4 bytes... And even if the file is smaller than 4 bytes, it will still show up as 4 bytes.

Not only does the size of my file (by right clicking) show 4 bytes on the computer, it shows the same size on my unit.

What can I tell you? :confused:

Ask a Question