Error Message on Updates

I have been trying for some time to update my XXL 540tm without success. I receive an Error: internal/malformed: Exception message indicating Home can't complete this task. In details, says malformed item info: Name=USA & Canada, id=USA_and_Canada version=825.2159 location type=1251 metadata= severity 1105. Further below it says home can't complete this task due to bad value: "USA AL Alabama" (type: string) severity 1105 with 25 chrome messages following.

Can you give me any suggestions on how to correct this issue?:

Home is complaining about one of your maps. I say "one of" since your PC likely has at least one old copy as well. Chances are it is one of those, and if we get rid of it, the complaints should cease.

What map version do you have on your unit now?

Also, what happens if you ignore the error by clicking on the "X" in the upper right of the 'complaint box' and continue on?

I have map version 860.3121. If I ignore the error message by clicking on X in upper right corner then I can proceed with downloads but at each stage of this process will again receive the error message. If I click on X as before then can proceed. I haven't attempted with the map share option but when I have tried to update that will also receive the same error message. I'm right now in the process of downloading an updated version of the US/Canada maps. Will this help eliminate these nasty error messages?

No, it probably won't. Just keep 'X' ing the error message when you see it.

After your download........ AND making an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents, you could try moving all the compressed maps found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

to a different location (new folder) on your computer. That may stop the error. But wait till your current updating is done before you try it.

I'm right now in the process of downloading an updated version of the US/Canada maps. Will this help eliminate these nasty error messages?
No. Home is complaining about an old 825 copy of the map that still resides on your PC. For some reason, at 2.8, it started checking everything on the PC very carefully, and now complains about it. Believe it or not, I still had one old backup of 745 that 2.8 found and took exception to.

There are two places the offending map may be located. Start with this one:

If you go to
My Documents \ TomTom \ HOME \ Downloads \ complete \ map
you may find that you have a fair number of older downloaded map sets, each in its own folder. If you open each folder, and open the *.toc file you'll find in each one with a word processor, you'll see a line that looks like this:

<Version>850.2781</Version>

That tells you the version number (this one was 850). When you find the folder that contains a *.toc file that shows version 825, back out and delete that folder.

Truth to tell, there's probably no reason to keep any of these map folders apart from the current one and one back from that.

I opened Documents, selected Home as you suggested, then to Downloads, then Complete, found maps, went to Library, found only one that had USA/Canada, the rest were USA/Canada/Mexico. I found I'm not able to open the TOC file with Adobe Reader 9.1. Not sure which program I should be using to do this. Since this is the only one with only USA/Canada, thinking this might be the one to get rid of. Map is from 5/09 in this version. Do you think this might be the one to delete?

I opened Documents, selected Home as you suggested, then to Downloads, then Complete, found maps, went to Library, found only one that had USA/Canada, the rest were USA/Canada/Mexico. I found I'm not able to open the TOC file with Adobe Reader 9.1. Not sure which program I should be using to do this. Since this is the only one with only USA/Canada, thinking this might be the one to get rid of. Map is from 5/09 in this version. Do you think this might be the one to delete?
Just use a word processor or text editor of any sort, not the Adobe PDF viewer.

However, your date (5/09) puts you at the 830 map, give or take, but I'd bet that's the 825 one. You surely don't need THAT one anymore!

canderson,

I was able to open the file using Word processor and found the version to be 825.215 which was the error message I was receiving. I then backed out to the USA/Canada folder, deleted it and then asked for an update on my TomTom XXL. Even though there were no updates as I had just downloaded new map, I also did not receive the error message. By golly, I think you solved my problem. What a relief. :) I thank you for all your assistance. I didn't have a clue and would never have been able to get to the bottom of this issue without your comments. I appreciate you walking me through this process. QC

Glad I could help. If it hadn't been for the personal experience of being bit by Home 2.8 in a similar situation, I'd have not known which way to point you. All of the folks at TT Tech Support should be required to use these things for their daily commute!

Solution for TomTom One 2d Edition

I had similar error messages as in the base note, and following the suggestions, under "downloads', found two map directories for USA____Canada-1 (dated 3/6/11) and a second one for USA____Canada (Dated 12/23/09). I moved the older to a new folder and the error messages stopped for Version 2.8. My current map for USA____Canada is V865.3259, and my device is a TomTom ONE 2nd Edition. :)

Ask a Question