2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:80
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);
Time: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:52:28 GMT

error J:\data.ch k

trying to up date and when it is trying to install in the internal memory this error comes up and it wont go further
J:\data.ch k

Given that you are talking about the data.chk file, I am assuming you were trying to update your unit's firmware?

Do you have a full backup of the content of your unit (even an older one) before you started this update?

Please identify the TomTom model you own so we have an idea of what you are trying to update. If you are not sure, please identify the first two characters of the serial number of the unit for us.

Also, are you using a Mac for this by any chance?

"CN" isn't a TomTom serial number prefix. Can you give us some idea of what model you have??? Also, please answer the other questions in my previous post.

No, that is a regulatory certification number.

Do this ...

With your device connected to your PC, see if you can find a file in the root of your device called ttgo.bif. If it is there, then open it with your favorite text editor and tell us what these lines say (just copy and paste here):

DeviceName=
DeviceVersionHW=
DeviceSerialNumber=

Flashing x now!

device id PU6319B01743
Hardware type Tom Tom One IQ Routes Edition
Ive downloaded that clear the flash software... still flashing.... I can get the black screen with white letters also

OK. That is a "ONE S IQRoutes Edition: with 2GB of memory, and has no external SD card support. It's the same as our ONE 140S in the U.S.

Now, back to two unanswered questions above:

1) Do you have a full backup of the content of your unit (even an older one) before you started this update?

2) Also, are you using a Mac for this by any chance?

and I'll add another:

3) Are you using the original cable for this unit?

OK. Since you have no backup, you're in somewhat dangerous territory here. We can recover anything else, but you MUST have your map backed up. Please perform the backup per the following instructions before we go further. With luck, your map will still be intact.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Asked about the cable since we were just reminded by another user with similar symptoms about how fickle some cables an be, and since the USB Mini-B style cable was so popular for a while, people have them laying around for other devices, and they're not always primo quality.

I think it was the app because of the filename he mentioned way back at the beginning (data.chk).

OK. Let's see if your backup includes a map. You don't say, but I peeked and see you are in Canada. So you need to look for a folder in your backup set called USA_Canada_Mexico or something similar to that. If you can find that, make sure that it has files like cline.dat, cnode.dat, etc. If so, you're good for the moment, and can move on to the next step.

The problem will be one of these, and we'll have to figure out which.
1) Lack of memory to fit the new application on your device.
2) Problems writing to your device - could be cable or device, more likely cable

Let's start by seeing if you can read/write to your device.

Connect your device to your PC.
Home will start up. Ignore it for now.
Using Windows, delete all of the loose files from the root of the unit (NO folders!)
Use your PC to see how much spare memory you have on your unit (let us know what that is)
Try copying a file (or files) that uses a fair bit of that memory from your PC to your TomTom. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it will fit. Do this a couple of times. This will give us some indication of whether there's going to be a problem writing to the device.

If you have no problems writing to the device, then go back to Home and using Manage my device in Home, remove any voices that you will not be using.
Use Home to properly disconnect your unit.
Shut down Home.
Reconnect your unit and go with the flow with Home. It will offer you a new application to replace the one that is missing (after we deleted all of those 'loose' files). Accept it for installation and see how things go.

At some particular point in the process??? Does your PC recognize your device as a disk drive? If so, you should be able to perform the steps up to and including "Try copying..."

Big flashing X when???
Does your PC recognize your device as a disk drive?

Ask a Question