Does a TomTom support a .GPX file?

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
I have a rider2.. A site I like that designs trips based on input from members will release the trip for download in a GPX file, I understand that that file extension and format is a common use file by all GPS units.. Will it work on a TomTom rider 2?

Thanks..

I have a rider2.. A site I like that designs trips based on input from members will release the trip for download in a GPX file, I understand that that file extension and format is a common use file by all GPS units.. Will it work on a TomTom rider 2?

Thanks..
No, but there are tools to convert the *.gpx points into TomTom *.ov2 points or *.itn itineraries. I recommend Tyre for this. Tyre

The new Urban Rider and Rider Pro both natively support gpx files. For earlier Rider models (like the Rider2) you need a converter like Tyre .

The new Urban Rider and Rider Pro both natively support gpx files.
The cool part is that they'll even create *.gpx tracks, not just read in somebody else's. I was surprised to see TomTom finally get with the program. Wish they'd support that with a firmware upgrade to previous units, though. I've got a buddy with a Rider 2 and a GoldWing that would love to ditch his Garmin handheld that he uses for creating compatible tracks when he rides.

I just downlaoded & installed Tyre.. what an easy program to use.. Fantastic ! Thanks !:D

Canderson.. quick question.. after I have created an itinerary in Tyre.. How do I get the entire trip to my TomTom? There is a tomtom command.. asking if I want to add a specific point (that I have highlighted within the trip) to my TT as a favorite.. but how do I get the entire trip there? One thought to me is that I pull the SD card from the TT and do a "save as" in the Tyre program and save it to the SD chip, then put that back into my TT.. I don't want to do that until I know that is the correct thing to do..
Thanks..

Canderson.. quick question.. after I have created an itinerary in Tyre.. How do I get the entire trip to my TomTom?
When you're finished establishing all of the points of your itinerary in Tyre, and ordering them as you prefer for your itinerary, you will select "File" and "Convert to TomTom itinerary". Tyre now understands what was previously just a collection of points of interest as a continuous string of points of an itinerary.

Now you select "TomTom" and "Copy to TomTom". This moves the *.itn file (using whatever name you chose when you created the original itinerary list) over to the "itn" folder on root drive of your TomTom (be sure your TomTom is connected and turned on).

You can now go to the itinerary planning menu of your TomTom and load the itinerary with the name you chose.

You can now go to the itinerary planning menu of your TomTom and load the itinerary with the name you chose.

Thank You.. !
Do I access the Itinerary planning menu while the TomTom is connected to my computer, or after I have "copied to TT" and the unit is disconnected.

You can access the Itinerary Planning menu when the unit is disconnected from the computer.

Thank You.. !
Do I access the Itinerary planning menu while the TomTom is connected to my computer, or after I have "copied to TT" and the unit is disconnected.
Once you have performed the "Copy to", you can access the itinerary on your TomTom either with it disconnected or from TomTom Home while it is connected to your computer.

Unless I've got something huge in the works, I often create and tweak itineraries directly on the TomTom using the Home interface on my PC using "Operate my Go" (I'm sure the Rider calls it something similar but different). I find it a lot quicker to use my mouse and keyboard to set up the waypoints that way than to fiddle with them on the face of the TomTom. For bigger jobs, Tyre is the easier method. Obviously, you needed Tyre to begin with for the file conversion. But you can both load/view and modify your new itinerary either on the TomTom or from Home.

for mapping an really large itinerary will it all load on the Rider 2 at once? I'm talking cross and around the country into Canada.

Are you talking about recording one with the device, or putting one on the device and running it?
Recording takes points every 1 sec, so it would require some external memory (uSD card) to manage that.
If running an existing *.gpx, that wouldn't be as data intense since you could use the tool to create it in a way that reduces the point count considerably.

Ask a Question