Does Tomtom One XL-S support 4GB SD Card (Non HC)

Hello, im newbie!

Just bought TT-1 XL-S, i am using 2GB SD Card now, i want to upgrade 4GB SD (not SDHC) as 4GB Standard SD Card. I am not sure 4GB will support my Unit, can someone share experience? Thanks alot

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

From this link on TomTom's website (buried deep) it supposed to support a 4GB SD card (not SDHC)
I specifically searched out a 4GB SD and have haveing the usual fun with TomTom Home trying to get it initialized.

I backup the 2GB card to the PC, plug in the blank 4GB card and power up. Home then tells me restore is not supported on this device. It does work with a 2GB card.

Still trying, will let you know if I get it to work or throw it through the window. :)

What model do you have? I sure don't see any reference to a 4 gig sd card for a TT One model in that link.

I was under the assumption that the only limitation to any ONE model was that it couldn't use an SDHC card because SDHC cards write differently using memory addresses or something of that sort. I do know non-SDHC 4gb cards exist but there aren't too many out there.

I've always told everyone to always use a max of 2GB SD cards anyway to be on the safe side. You CAN, however use a memory card reader to update the TomTom files but that's just an annoying hassle to do.

Also, from now on, do backups and restores using Windows Explorer and not TomTom Home. MOST of the time, lately, people have been getting the message that restores are not supported, for whatever reason..

Last edited:
I've used SDHC cards in my XL-S. I don't want to repeat all the little details I've posted again and again. To sum it up is that you won't have problems at all providing you use an up-to-date card adapter/reader to update files on the card. If you use the card in the TT with the USB cable, you are likely to have problems when updating non very small files as the interface is the old USB standard which is so slow it is completely ridiculous.

If you want to read the details, just do a search with my id and ?SDHC?.

How much (SD capacity) the device supporting is depended upon its bootloader (as I mentioned long time back)

How much (SD capacity) the device supporting is depended upon its bootloader (as I mentioned long time back)

Does this apply to ONE models? I know it does for GO models who use a different chipset but wonder about ONE models. I know the original bootloader for my XL-S had no problem reading and writing to my 4GB SDHC card. Using the USB cable with the SDHC card was where the problems occured for most file updates.

Gilbert, really good to see you posting again.

Thanks! I try to answer those problems where I feel the answers are not what I consider complete.

I've gotten thru a round of radio and chemo therapy for my lung cancer. About 3 weeks ago, right after my 16th daily treatment of radiotherapy out of the 30 scheduled, I had a bad reaction and was taken off radiotherapy because they uncovered a metastase to my adrenal glands. Today, I started a new round of chemotherapy with the next one next week. So far so good with no adverse reaction yet. I've also joined Folding@Home with my new NVidia gtx260 graphic card purchased expressly for folding and joined World Community Grid where my triple core Phenom II crunches for cancer and phase ll of the human proteome project 24/7. The World Community Grid (World Community Grid - Home) offers different projects you may want to participate with your idle cpu.

Does this apply to ONE models? I know it does for GO models who use a different chipset but wonder about ONE models. I know the original bootloader for my XL-S had no problem reading and writing to my 4GB SDHC card. Using the USB cable with the SDHC card was where the problems occured for most file updates.
Theoretically, it should.
Side note: it does come along with its NavCore.

Truly wishing you well, Gilbert.

Thanks! I try to answer those problems where I feel the answers are not what I consider complete.

I've gotten thru a round of radio and chemo therapy for my lung cancer. About 3 weeks ago, right after my 16th daily treatment of radiotherapy out of the 30 scheduled, I had a bad reaction and was taken off radiotherapy because they uncovered a metastase to my adrenal glands. Today, I started a new round of chemotherapy with the next one next week. So far so good with no adverse reaction yet. I've also joined Folding@Home with my new NVidia gtx260 graphic card purchased expressly for folding and joined World Community Grid where my triple core Phenom II crunches for cancer and phase ll of the human proteome project 24/7. The World Community Grid (World Community Grid - Home) offers different projects you may want to participate with your idle cpu.

Very interesting, idle CPU power is something I have an abundance of. I hope it helps someone out somehow...

Very interesting, idle CPU power is something I have an abundance of. I hope it helps someone out somehow...

Glad you're considering joining! Statistics show 1 out of 3 will experience cancer. The likelyhood it is someone close to you is rather high. Cancer treatments are rather experimental nowadays and oncologists don't yet know much about the process and treatments. Research is important so they can find better ways to cure and prevent it.

Glad you're considering joining! Statistics show 1 out of 3 will experience cancer. The likelyhood it is someone close to you is rather high. Cancer treatments are rather experimental nowadays and oncologists don't yet know much about the process and treatments. Research is important so they can find better ways to cure and prevent it.

Been running it in the back ground for a few days. It surprisingly not intrusive to normal computer operations. I subscribed to help all the listed places in that program. Far be it for me to discriminate against who my computer donates too.. :)

Folding@Home- User Stats for sageuvagony

:)

I use my dual video card setup to fold.

You stopped folding? Date of last work unit: 2009-05-14 18:08:10

I started in April when I put together a new system because I needed too many new components (full tower case, larger power supply etc. You can see my stats here:
Folding@Home

I fold 24/7 since I started and later joined World Computing Grid to use the cpu in the same team (TechPowerUp). While only an AMD dual core, I added my older system to contribute to WCG.

I have a couple of TT One LE (SE, NE whatever) ... not exactly XLs, but they work OK with 4GB non HC ... BUT ... only just. Specifically, I purchased two Transcend TS4GSD133 and they worked fine (unexpectedly). Encouraged I purchased another two some time later as 'back ups' ... identical (theoretically) cards (TS4GSD133) ? identical labeling, identical packaging ? different batch ? didn?t work in either LE.

Serial numbers for anyone with sufficient ?techie? knowledge to spot a potential problem were 200515 1064 & 200515 1065 (both OK) and 230885 9273 & 230885 9597 (both no good).

If anyone has found a ?benign? 4GB SD that that doesn?t appear to cause problems, would appreciate a post of the brand and model.

Did you purchase them from a reputable location, such as brick and mortar in NZ? Many fake sd and sdhc cards on the net, especially at ebay.

Also, I thought that the max for that model was a 2-gig sd card. Not 100% sure on that, though.

Do you have a card reader and can the new cards be seen via the reader?

Ask a Question