TomTom Support Says Safety Camera Service Does Not Work in US/Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
140S
I get no Safety Camera alerts, despite navigating (live and in Demo mode) past documented camera locations. I been also not been able to find anyone on the 'net in the US/CAN who can say where there is a Safety Camera location that triggers an alert.

I've been regularly updating my One IQ Routes (aka 140S, w/App=8.414 and map=835.2460) via Home2, including the Safety Cameras feature, and in Home2's "Manage>Safety Cameras>Safety Cameras - USA, CAN - Free of Charge>More Info" link it reports that I have Safety Cameras Version 3586 (128K).

in the USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P folder on my TT there are two files that appear to corroborate this: Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTomOV2.ver (1kb), and Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2 (40kb - a mismatch there with the reported size in Home).

And, on my TT, I can see various Safety Camera functions in the TomTom Services>TomTom Safety Camera menu, e.g. "Report Safety Camera", "Update Safety Cameras" (a tip to use Home), Change warning preferences" (which I have set to sound an alert), "Disable Alerts" (showing alerts are currently enabled), and "Enable Report Button" (for the quickmenu). Finally, in the lower left corner is the text, "Last safety camera update: No info available".

So this morning (9/17) I called TT Support and spoke with Sara. I told her the information above, and asked what "No info available" meant. She informed me that "TomTom does not currently support the Safety Camera Service in North America", that "Safety Cameras are only supported in Europe", and that "I can check back on their website periodically to see if they have begun supporting this service".

She also said that the Safety Camera service was "accidently provided to some customers" but repeated that it was not currently working. She agreed with me that it appeared that the updates in Home2 were working, and the Safety Camera menu item under TomTom Services on my device was active, and the Home2 upload-new-safety-camera-info feature seemed to accept my manually-entered locations when I did a Home2 update, but repeated that the Safety Camera features on my US/Can TT were not going to work until TomTom begins supporting them. She had no information about when this might happen.

SO - in summary, according to TomTom Support, Safety Camera alerts are NOT working in the US/Canada.

One last observation: in researching Safety Camera files I have seen users in Europe report *three* files in their map directories: the two types mentioned above and a third with a .dct extension, i.e. "Safety_Cam_(nation-name)_TomTom.ov2.dct". In the map directory of my TT's the POI file (oddly named "FuelStations.ov2") has a corresponding "FuelStations.ov2.dct" and that feature is working properly.

I have not found anyone online in the US/Canada with a Safety Camera .dct file, which I think would be Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct. If anyone *has* this file, or other suggestions for a workaround to get TT's Safety Camera alerts working (besides using a 3rd party camera database like pocketgpsworld), please post here!

You did get a reply to your initial post in the other forum. I'm going to lock this so that all discussion can take place in one thread.

Not a good idea to provide duplicate posts as potential responders are not sure where to post ....

For continued discussion on this topic, go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question