Do not upgrade to new app

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
I have a TomTom 140S and downloaded the new application (8.415). Using TomTom Home I have lost the ability to "Operate My Device" AND Back-up and Restore." I called Tech Support an they acknowledged that they FORGOT to include the appropriate files with the application update put do not plan on fixing it until the next application update!!!!!!

Update. I deleted the app form the device (using TomTom Home) and re-downloaded the app. Now it seems to be functioning normal.

Last edited:
Steve, we suggest NEVER using Home's Backup/Restore functionality...

See this link

So, you got lucky that it didn't work in Home! ;):D

Operate my device, and backup/restore, need special updates installed into Tomtom HOME.

Tomtom takes days or sometimes months after the device firmware release to create these HOME updates.

Are you now saying that these features work on app 8.415? It's possible that in the days/hours between your first and second attempt, Tomtom got HOME updated.

Operate my device, and backup/restore, need special updates installed into Tomtom HOME.

Tomtom takes days or sometimes months after the device firmware release to create these HOME updates.

Are you now saying that these features work on app 8.415? It's possible that in the days/hours between your first and second attempt, Tomtom got HOME updated.

It's very possible. As I said, the TomTom Tech Support people knew it was an issue. However, they said it would not be corrected until the next release. Apparently they were wrong as I deleted the App from my device and then re-downloaded it and it worked fine. Now that it is working, I'll use Disk Utility (I'm using a Mac) and image the TomTom to create a good back-up.

The same problem happened with me, all I did was to d/c the device, turn off, connect, turn it on and worked.

I have a TomTom 140S and downloaded the new application (8.415). Using TomTom Home I have lost the ability to "Operate My Device" AND Back-up and Restore." I called Tech Support an they acknowledged that they FORGOT to include the appropriate files with the application update put do not plan on fixing it until the next application update!!!!!!

Update. I deleted the app form the device (using TomTom Home) and re-downloaded the app. Now it seems to be functioning normal.
I just downloaded it and the download was in two phases. When it was done, I tried "Operate My Device" and it downloaded yet another file. It all seems to have worked. So I suspect they patched the upgrade process. (I didn't try backup/restore since I don't use the in-Home method.)

I have noticed few issues with the new application, it could be me though:

- Slower satellie acquisition time
- Had "unable to save setting: file save error" for few time yesterday but it was gone after turning the device off then on then had it again after leaving it off for 8 hours, but today it is working ok
- recalculating is slower than before.

Is anyone having similar or different issues after the update?

I have noticed few issues with the new application, it could be me though:

- Slower satellie acquisition time
- Had "unable to save setting: file save error" for few time yesterday but it was gone after turning the device off then on then had it again after leaving it off for 8 hours, but today it is working ok
- recalculating is slower than before.

Is anyone having similar or different issues after the update?

Yikes, something definitely got corrupted. I'd recommend a full backup, a format (quickformat disabled) of the Tomtom drive as fat32. Then a restore of the backup.

If it still gives those errors, that would be scary indeed, because it means that the IO controller software is no longer reliable in the new app version.

Ask a Question