Another Upgrade Error, Why Does This Keep Happening?

So I took my FUBAR gps back to the store and told them it was DOA, and that I wanted to upgrade my GPS.

So I came home with the XL 335TM, and low and behold another error while updating the North America map.

Why do these GPS units have such problems upgrading? Is it due to poor software standards or what?

I was hoping since this is a different model than before, that I wouldn't have any issues, but I was sorely mistaken.

I did make a backup though explorer this time, so I am currently moving the map folder back onto the GPS.

But can anyone tell me why the heck HOME won't do it's proper job and update the GPS without any issues? My dads older TT unit never had any issues at all, just trying to figure out why things keep heading south for me.

Can you cut and paste the specific error message? It can help us figure out the root cause.

This is the error I get when I download and try to install the TomTom application for for TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition S:

TOMTOM1.png

I didn't even try to install the map this time, just tried to install this application. Any idea what's wrong?

That kind of error is sometimes indicative of a corrupt file during the download. Were you using a wireless connection, by any chance? (instead of a directly connected computer).

One thing to try is to go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\program\
and delete anything found there. Next use Explorer to delete any loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Now, connect to Home, download the offered application and see if it installs properly.

Alright, what I did was redownloaded the updates via a wired broadband connection, and everything installed correctly. Thanks for the help on both of the threads I created, dhn!

The next question I have is, is it at possible in the future to change my accounts email address but still use the lifetime maps code that I have? I will be switching internet providers at the end of this year and I want to keep my promotional code working, but I will probably have a different email address beginning next year. How do I do that?

In truth, you really don't need to change your email address (unless you want to actually receive the odd advertising info from TomTom). When you create an email address, it could even have been a dummy one as long as it is in the correct email format.

My reluctance in having you switch account email addresses is that when subscriptions to something are involved, TomTom has been known to screw up the proper transference of account information.

If you do wish to make a new account for the existing account, I'd suggest you do so by calling support and having them confirm the proper steps with you...........

Again, it isn't mandatory that you do so.............

Ask a Question