Another new GPS user.

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25
First post to say hi.
Just purchased a GPS after years and years of using maps and the wife to navigate my way around Europe. However over the years we are finding that old style road atlases are just not published in the scales/details they were. Whilst no stranger to PC we are finding a little hard to adjust to the use of the GPS.
I hope the forum will be able to answer a few questions either via me searching or asking a question or two. I do hope it is more of the former.;)

What model did you buy?

Oh sorry, I see you show your model. What issues are you having?

Issue? I can see lots advice as to what to look for and where the files should be loaded in the GPS. But my unit does show up on the PC, as a drive, when I plug it into the USB port. Maybe it is something for the newer models? That is what I am going to investigate.
I have some issues with my updating the maps (on line). But that is not so important.

You need MyTomTom, not Home 2 with that device. Get it tomtom.com/getstarted.

It will not show as an external drive on your computer but should show as a network adapter.

Sorry I have not replied sooner. Yes I already have myTomTom installed on the PC. Thanks for the info about the network drive. I did not know that.
I have been doing some searching around the web. Found a programme which is called BBS. Unfortunately That also does not work with the TT unit I have.
I have purchased a dash mount and plan to hardwire the TT into the car. I hope to later write a small review of the mount.

I have purchased a dash mount and plan to hardwire the TT into the car. I hope to later write a small review of the mount.
My apologies for stating something you already know, but I always assume that if things can go wrong, they will go wrong.

Be careful when hard-wiring your device into the car. Don't forget that the GPS is designed for 5 volt input power and the wiring in your car will provide 12 volts - which can fry your device very quickly. (The CLA plug provided with your GPS actually converts the power supplied by the vehicle to 5 volts.)

- Tom -

I don't quite understand why Paper map sees the device as a drive on his PC.
# 3
Paper map said:
But my unit does NOT* show up on the PC, as a drive, when I plug it into the USB port.
# 4
dhn said:
You need MyTomTom, not Home 2 with that device.
It will not show as an external drive on your computer but should show as a network adapter.
# 5
Paper map said:
I already have myTomTom installed on the PC
I wonder if it was a simple omission. When I the added the NOT, it all made sense.

Last edited:
I have some issues with my updating the maps (on line).
I have purchased a dash mount and plan to hardwire the TT into the car.
I am sure the first quote still referred to not being able to see the device as a drive.

I may be misunderstanding but, to update, the device must be plugged in to the computer as it will be directly connecting to TomTom via the software.

If you really hardwire the device, how do you plan to make a USB connection?

et- Yes I know about the 5 volts and I have a box in line which reduced the voltage, fused too. It is meant to another TT but I found the mini USB is the same, but on the start 25 is angled and this one is not.
Arno- Nope I do not see the TT as a drive. When I read about the explanations on this forum on how to do this that and everything else I cannot do them. So you are correct. Thanks for pointing my mistook!

Arno- I was typing at the same time as you. The TT will be mounted on a, well a mount. It will not be in the car for all the thieves in the world to nick.
This is similar to the item I purchased.

That is rather negative?
They are located in the Channel Islands according to the name of the town. Some say that is not really the UK; other say it is just a cover location for tax avoidance.

For Foreign Affairs, the UK is responsible. they are not part of the European Union although included in its free trade area.
Both, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Bailiwick of Guernsey are dependencies of the Crown but are not part of the United Kingdom.

@Paper map... Hi and welcome!
Sorry this has got a bit sidetracked. Hopefully not every question you might have for us will end up on discussions about obscure parts of British politics :rolleyes:

Ask a Question