Another XL rebooting - H E L P

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ LIVE ROUTES
Hi gang, I have a XL IQ LIVE routes (which as been trouble free for 2 years) I was in Belgium yesterday, on leaving the ferry I started my TT, it played the drum, went on to the logo screen, did nothing for approx 35 - 40 sec, then rebooted (with no drum). Left it switched on and during next hour it rebooted over and over. Once back home I have tried all suggestions that I have read on your site but cannot get it past logo screen. Can anyone help please.
Oletimer (George)

Have you tried the following (in order-- if step 1 doesn't do the job, move to step 2, etc.) ?

1. Reset the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds [unless your model has a dedicated reset hole]

2. Connect to the computer. Use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder (you'll lose your custom settings but this often cures the rebooting issue)

3. Make an Explorer, not Home backup. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html
Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their content. Connect to Home and install the application offered by Home. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

4. Format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the backup made if you needed to go to step 3 above.

Last edited:
Hello Sir, thank you for your reply.
I will now attempt to follow your instructions - not a competent computer user :eek:
I will return shortly, ...

Ok sir, I've followed your instruction (backed up to Windows) I don't quite follow the next bit ...''Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their content. Connect to Home and install the application offered by Home. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

4. Format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the backup made if you needed to go to step 3 above.''
Would you simplify that for me please...
Which loose files?
How to format?
Thank you for your patience.
George

OK. Let's not talk about step 4 at all for now.

"Loose files" = the ones in the root (lowest level directory you see when you look inside your unit with Windows itself) that are not in any folders. Such files include 'data.chk', 'settings.dat', 'system', and 'ttsystem'. David is asking that you delete all of those files from the 'root' but do NOT delete any of the many folders you find there which include 'ephem' and 'program' and 'sounds'.

Once you have done that, use a proper "Disconnect" method using Home, and then unplug and replug your unit to your PC. When Home rediscovers your device, it will also discover that the software is missing, and will offer to install some for you. Go ahead and allow that.

Hi, thank you for replying.
OK I'll go and do that, be back asap
George

See here:

loose_files.jpg

Hi, the good news - I got the files reinstated and all seemed to be good...
the bad news - its still doing the reboot over and over (sigh)
what might I do next (I have a BIG hammer ... :confused:)

Mine looked slightly differently but that is only my setup. Yes I did as you instructed. The result was not expected because there was no change in what it was doing...

Hi, sorry for the delay, I got into the football and lost track of time.
No I didn;t format the TT, I'm not sure how to do that. Can you advise please.
George

Make sure you have made the Explorer backup.

Then click on the 'My computer' icon on your desktop. It should open to show the device as a removable drive. Highlight it and a sub-menu should appear with an option to 'format'. Select it but don't choose 'quickformat'.

If it does show options for fat or fat32 or anything else, select fat32.

Ok I will attempt that. After the format do I go back to the TT site for the update etc?

I'd suggest you restore the Explorer backup you need to have made first. All the info is in the link in my post at the top of the thread.

Ok sir, I have started the transfer, it says it will take a while, so I'll let it get on and report back tomorrow (it's 00:20 here in UK) thank you for your invaluable help
George

I don't think he'd gotten there yet, David. We were trying a simple software delete/restore first. Looks the format/restore is his next option, though.

Good afternoon gentlemen, Update - Followed your instructions, back-up, wipe-out, format and reinstall.
I found that I had to go thru the process of reinstall 3 times - I think this was my own fault but the TT said it had updated files to load. So I just let it do what it wanted to do - I'm going nowhere (lol).
Testing today revealed a fully working TT.
I cannot thank you people enough. You are brilliant.
Thank you again and please enjoy a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.
Oletimer (George)

Good news George! Now, do one more thing .....

Make another Explorer backup (see my post at the top of the thread) to a different folder on your computer.

This is your 'safety net' ......:D

I found that I had to go thru the process of reinstall 3 times - I think this was my own fault but the TT said it had updated files to load.
Likely no fault of yours at all, George. Depending upon the unit model and the firmware that was already loaded and where we are in the firmware release cycle, Home will often reinstall the firmware in 'steps', bringing you to a newer level with each pass until it finally reaches the current version, whatever that is. We should have warned you about that. Sorry.

Ask a Question