Distinquish the Tomtoms please!

I was hoping someone could explain the differences between certain TT models for me - I've researched as much as I possibly can before my brain has broken from an information overload and even the TT user manuals are too vague!

I wanted some information on the one and xl/xxl models (and the IQ versions) I know that the IQ versions offer better route planning and probably have more up to date maps etc (and the xl/xxl have bigger screens) but I want to know if it's possible on ANY of these models to select the 'find alternative routes'? and if the edition 2 of the XL has this option too? There seems to be some conflicting information on reviews and the manual just gives a generic answer.

Many thanks!

Welcome to TTF.

You can see some comparisons here:
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - TomTom Product Advisor

and a very good reference guide put together by supermod mvl is here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference.html

Full menu models will all have 'Choose Alternate'.

Models with 'EasyMenu' are much less flexible in user choices.

Be aware that certain models in the UK are named differently in North America and some come with different feature sets. Mvl's link will show both North American and European nomenclature for model names.

(I'd avoid any European model with a '2' in the name. Means 'EasyMenu')

Last edited:
Have a look Here for a few decent units at bargain prices, don't be put off by them being refurb units as they are indistinguishable from a new device and come with the same 12 month warranty.
If you want mp3 player capability and FM transmitter look at the 530 for UK only use of the 550 Live if you want to access the HD Traffic and Google Search options (bear in mind these services are subsription based but you get 12 months thrown in with the device) - Mike

Ask a Question