What is the difference between the XL & the XXL tomtoms?

TomTom Model(s)
4ET03
What is the difference between the XL & the XXL tomtoms?

is there really a need to have unlimited updates ? which i know is one of th XXL features .... arent all the streets pretty much already loaded on to the GPS pretty much?

or does it have something to do with the detail of the interface and whatnot ...

just curious

Quick answer... the XXL has a bigger screen. (5" across the diagonal in stea of 4.3" for the XL.

I don't think there are any other differences in the hardware (Both will have more memory for a "Whole Continent" model compared to a "Single Region" one)

is there really a need to have unlimited updates ? which i know is one of th XXL features .... arent all the streets pretty much already loaded on to the GPS pretty much?
The lifetime updates are not necessarily connected to the model number. For example, one of my TomTom models was available as the basic XXL540 model, as the XXL540T, as the XXL540M, and as the XXL540TM. All of these are exactly the same GPS device, but the XXL540M and XXL54TM include the ability to download map updates from TomTom for the life of the unit, while the XXL540T and XXL540TM are able to receive broadcast information about traffic on your route.

The lifetime map updates are enabled by registering the device serial number along with a code that comes in the XXL540M and XXL540TM boxes when purchased. The XXL540T and XXL540TM include a special cable in the box that functions not only as a car charger but as an FM antenna that receives the traffic broadcasts.

The value of the map updates depends upon where you live, and where you will be driving. The map information is intended to be current for the area covered by the map at the time the device is shipped, but new construction and other changes may make significant differences in some areas as time passes.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

There were some XXL models designated as World Traveler Editions which had 4GB of internal drive storage, double the memory of other XL and XXL models. That was to enable loading maps of the US and Europe and you could switch between them (I guess if you took a reeeally long drive one day.) You will find the WTE editions to be in great demand now because they can load new maps larger than 2GB where the XL models will have to load zones of a country. (Western US etc.).

It's a squeak, but the North America 2GB map set is still just 1.65GB, leaving just about enough room for everything else. So AFAIK, we're still not segmented yet here. Europe, on the other hand, blew through the 2GB barrier quite a few map versions ago.

Ask a Question