Difference between the GO 2405/2505 vs. the GO 2435/2535??

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom GO 2405TM
I have looked up the specs on Tomtom.com and Amazon.com and have not been able to figure out what the difference between them is. TomTom's site mentions an integrated mount on the GO 2435 but Amazon shows this model with the same magnetic mount that my GO 2405 uses. TomTom's site also shows the GO 2435 has Eco Routes but so does my GO 2405 even though TomTom's site doesn't mention it. The only real difference I see is that the GO 2435/2535 can come in various series trims (base, T, M, & TM).

Is the GO 2435/2535 a simple name/series replacement for the GO 2405/2505?? I've noticed Tomtom is again discounting the GO 2405 and 2505 and Amazon shows a steep discount for the GO 2505 with only 13 left in stock.

The 2435 and 2535 models come with a different speech engine than the 2405 and 2505 models. The newer ones are supposed to be able to handle vocal instructions in one shot such as "Navigate to Address" Response is 'state address' and user is supposed to say "125 Main Street Yourtown Your State' all at once.

The 2435 and 2535 models come with a different speech engine than the 2405 and 2505 models. The newer ones are supposed to be able to handle vocal instructions in one shot such as "Navigate to Address" Response is 'state address' and user is supposed to say "125 Main Street Yourtown Your State' all at once.

Really, that?s the only difference? Seems kind of silly to make a new model line based just on one new software feature. Especially when such a feature could have been added to the GO 2405/2505 via an update. If that?s the only addition then no big deal, still happy with my GO 2405 :).

But if TomTom is reading this, it may be wise to give owners of the GO 100X and Go 2X05 this software feature as a way of making up for the delays in software functionality of these earlier units. Just a thought ;).

There are many other newer voice controls available on the new models as well.

(and I have also heard, not verified, that the 2X05 models are being pulled as well....)

There are many other newer voice controls available on the new models as well.

(and I have also heard, not verified, that the 2X05 models are being pulled as well....)

That would explain why Amazon is heavily discounting the GO 2505 ($242 as of this post) and running out of stock. If TomTom is getting rid of the GO 2405TM and 2505TM already, what was the point of releasing them in the first place?? They should have just released the GO 2435 and GO 2535 from the start.

And they could add the other voice controls to the GO 2405 and GO 2505 as well. Its just some additions to the software seeing as its the same basic navcore as the newer GO 2435 and GO 2535.

Last edited:
And they could add the other voice controls to the GO 2405 and GO 2505 as well. Its just some additions to the software

Do you know that for sure, or is it just a guess?

If (as said above) they are using a new voice recognition engine, it could well involve completely new licencing arrangements from different third-party suppliers, so
a. the new system would not be licenced to be retro-fitted onto older devices, and
b. there is no download mechanism to install it anyway as it is not part of the main Navcore.

Do you know that for sure, or is it just a guess?

If (as said above) they are using a new voice recognition engine, it could well involve completely new licencing arrangements from different third-party suppliers, so
a. the new system would not be licenced to be retro-fitted onto older devices, and
b. there is no download mechanism to install it anyway as it is not part of the main Navcore.

It is just a guess as I have no way of viewing the software within the device. If it isn't part of the main navcore then how does it ever get updated? The only main file sets I know of from my old TomTom 130S was the navcore, voices, and map. Seeing as the standard voice comands on the GO 2405 are tied to the computer voice (TTS) I would figure the enhanced voice recognition was part of the navcore or maybe just a more advanced version of the computer voices. If anyone who knows the actual info on what voice recognition software is running on the GO 2435/2535, please let us know! :p

As far as licensing I wouldn't think it would make a difference. Hardware is the exact same for the GO 2405 and GO 2435. And even if it does cost some money to add this software to the GO 2405/2505 units, I think TomTom owes it to us. I’ve had my unit since November and its still missing MapShare updates and QuickFixGPS functionality to name a few. Believe me I love my GO 2405 TM but TomTom’s delays and what looks like TomTom pulling the 2405 and 2505 models from production already is starting to wear thin on me.

Last edited:
The main difference I see is that 2505TM has 4GB of flash and 2535TM has 8GB. Weirdly, 2535M Live is the only model out of this series that has only 4GB of flash and I don't see the reason why. It's the same Map Lifetime updates model so that space would come in handy and being a Live services enabled it could certainly use more elbow room too. So for me the main question is why 2535TM has twice as much memory when it even priced $30 cheaper than 2535M Live? All data is in specs on Tomtom.com site, none of that mentioned anywhere on Amazon.

The main difference I see is that 2505TM has 4GB of flash and 2535TM has 8GB. Weirdly, 2535M Live is the only model out of this series that has only 4GB of flash and I don't see the reason why. It's the same Map Lifetime updates model ...
I don't think so. The 2535TM appears to be a "WTE" (world traveler edition) that includes European maps as well, so it NEEDS the extra memory.

I don't think so. The 2535TM appears to be a "WTE" (world traveler edition) that includes European maps as well, so it NEEDS the extra memory.

Actually there is a plain vanilla 2535TM that includes maps of US, Canada and Mexico and 2535TM WTE (World Traveler Edition) that includes Europe as well. Both of these models have 8GB of storage and I understand WTE need for that space but what buffles me that plain 2535TM and 2535M Live have exact same maps but the first one has twice as much space. Doesn't make lots of sense to me.
Just to make it clear, there are 3 models in the series:
  • 2535TM (North America) - 8GB
  • 2535TM WTE ((North America+Europe) - 8GB
  • 2535M Live (North America) - 4GB

If you believe what you see on the TomTom site (it's the only place I've been looking), there are in fact SIX of them. t's all a bit of a cluster, really. It's three different hardware configurations, and one of those configurations comes in 4 different map/traffic combinations.

This page Car navigation - Products - TomTom shows the three hardware configurations, and includes the

2535TM WTE (8GB),
and the 2535M Live (4GB),
and a link to the "2535 Series" (the third hardware configuration).

Jumping to the 2535 Series page at GO 2535 Series - Car navigation - TomTom it refers to these models:

2535, 2535T, 2535M, 2535TM (all the same hardware, different map or traffic packages included).

... and if you hit the "Specifications" tab there, you get

GO 2535 Series - Car navigation - TomTom

What you see there is 4GB specified for the entire "Series", which includes the 2535, 2535T, 2535M and 2535TM.

So make of that mess what you will. I don't know what to think of it. The only unit I find with 8GB is the WTE. Where did you see a 2535TM (non-WTE) spec'd with 8GB?

Last edited:
Where did you see a 2535TM (non-WTE) spec'd with 8GB?

You are right, its not there although I could've sworn it was there when I looked it up. If you look into "Series" link it does list 2535TM with no Europe but you can't get specs from there. Amazon still lists 2535TM and 2535TM WTE as two different models with different prices, $320 and $350 respectively. What a mess!

You are right, its not there although I could've sworn it was there when I looked it up. If you look into "Series" link it does list 2535TM with no Europe but you can't get specs from there.
You don't click on the individual units to get the specs. If you click on the "Specs" tab above, it gives you the specs for the entire "Series" of four. They're identical units apart from the map/traffic subscription options that get bundled with the hardware.

Amazon still lists 2535TM and 2535TM WTE as two different models with different prices, $320 and $350 respectively. What a mess!
They are two different models. There's the 2535TM (domestic map and memory only), and the 2535TM WTE (maps for both continents and the larger memory).

It's the same deal as for the XXL540 where they offered a WTE version with both sets of maps and 2X the normal amount of memory. The idea of the 2X memory was to try to keep the user from having to swap maps on and off a PC all the time. Of course, when Europe got too large and was segmented, that didn't help the 540 WTE owners so much :mad:

Ask a Question