Dire Help

Thank you for the suggestions.

Perhaps I should try uninstalling the app from my PDA, then reinstalling to SD card via card reader? Will try afresh tomorrow.

Tomtom is working at the moment provided I don't try and activate the maps when installing them (!) and provided the other (Flash) memory card is not inserted. It's true, I can back up the SD card and its maps in the card reader now but not the PDA or card via cradle and Activesync.

Have had nothing useful at all from Tomtom "support". It would help if they read what the problem was before making up a reply.

It may also help me if I had some idea how the activation/validation/device ID process works. If the device code is correct, why won't it accept that my Tomtom accounts are associated with that ID are valid? Why are valid activation codes being rejected?

Goodnight from Spain.

If I understand your situation correctly, you have Navigator installed in the onboard memory and the maps on an SD card.

Shouldn't the TT application and the maps be in the same location, i.e.: the SD card? I don't think the application can find the maps if they installed somewhere else.

Why don't you just have everything on the SD card?

Whoopee! That was the key. The above is almost right, I think. TomTom gets installed in the onboard memory but VIA the card.

Another key for me is not to let TomTom Home anywhere near my IPAQ via Activesync! By doing everything via a card reader has enabled me to solve this problem. Sorry, these problems!

First I uninstalled TomTom from my IPAQ.

Then I backed-up my Flash Memory card (where, I think TomTom was looking for maps whenever it was inserted, hence "NO MAPS") and reformatted it in my super-duper new multi card reader.

I made sure my IPAQ was put in another room(!) and put my new, fast 2Gb SD card in the card reader. TomTom Home was happy to be logged into one of my TomTom accounts and to install TT to the SD card. I then put the card in my IPAQ and allowed TT to install itself there.

I then went back for the big test, and loaded another USA map on the SD card (via the reader of course). Activation of the map took a second and it installed.

I put the SD card back in the IPAQ and all was well. Hooray.

Thanks so much for all your help. I have a few minor questions about TomTom but will save those till tomorrow. I'm taking the rest of the evening off.

TomTom Support have been absolutely useless. The paranoia of this company (over piracy) and the lack of resources put in to support its customers beggars belief. And, unless I'm missing something, the software is not as good for route planning etc as my much cheaper alternative, Pocket Navigator (but they only have maps for Europe, which DON'T require activation, by the way!).

Thanks again
Sweet dreams!

the Spook lurks always, posts rarely, and when he does...he hits the mark nearly 100% of the time.

I threatened some more "minor" questions - these are (will be) below.

But first, back to my original question about 2 sets of maps on 2 SD cards. Having sorted out "most" of my problems, as above, I have my US maps on the SD through which TT installed itself on to the PDA memory. All is well. I put my Europe maps on my other SD. "No maps", oh no!

So I simply copied all the files, except maps, on the 'US' SD on to my 'Europe' SD (with me?), and TT happily then found the maps. Not sure what it's looking for but whatever it was, it found it in those files somewhere! Thought this might be useful to others who may be struggling with this beast.

I'll but my questions in a later thread. Must just go and watch the Australian F1 Grand Prix!

You should have a map.mms for each card where
'map' = name of your map (like 'North_America').

mms Files

You should have a map.mms for each card where
'map' = name of your map (like 'North_America').

No, I don't see any mms files anywhere! (IPAQ/Navigator 6). It's working anyway.

TomTom Navigator Usage

Thanks so much for all your help. I have a few minor questions about TomTom but will save those till tomorrow. I'm taking the rest of the evening off.

My "minor" questions over use TomTom Navigator

1. Planning routes in advance. With my old Pocket Navigator (http://directions.ltd.uk/personal-navigation/) which I'd thoroughly recommend for those who only want to travel in Europe), I could plan tours or routes with multiple waypoints and view them on the map, view the detailed itineraries etc change them and fine tune them. Unless I'm missing something, in TomTom I can only use Advanced Planning in which I can enter a departure and destination, and then add one waypoint (Go via) afterward (it took me a while to find that, too). But only one waypoint. I can use Itinerary planning but cannot view it on the map so I have no idea if the itinerary is a sensible one.

2. I have tried loading the USA/Canada map but TomTom won't load it - it locks up - think I may be out of memory. It would seem also that the North America map is not available to PDA users, maybe for this reason? Did I read here that the North America map has more POIs?

3. I have compared the Western Europe map with the Iberia/Spain & Portugal maps and local roads (eg my driveway) are not present on the Europe map. Does this apply to the USA map vs Regional/State maps for the USA? In which case I'm much happier with the state maps as we shall be doing a lot of local touring.

4. I'm looking for good sources of pre-prepared/recommended touring routes/itineraries to load into TT. TomTom Home presents me with some tours for Europe if I Visit Online Store, Routes, but I can't find any there for USA nor indeed have I found a good source on the Net. Any ideas, please? I'd like to get some tours prepared for our "Grand Tour " to USA in September.

5. When we get to Las Vegas on the last stage of our trek, we are staying at the Golden Nugget, again. I'm amazed it does not seem to appear as a POI. And if you plot a route from the airport to the hotel, avoiding motorways, it takes you up Fremont Street which is pedestrianised and is marked as such, I think, on the map. Does not bode well for visits to other city centres! Any ideas, please?

As ever, many thanks for all your help.

>> I can use Itinerary planning but cannot view it on the map so I have no idea if the itinerary is a sensible one.

If you load the Itinary then do 'Start navigating' then you can view the map. I don't have a PDA , but that's how it works on my Go 510.

>>
If you load the Itinary then do 'Start navigating' then you can view the map. I don't have a PDA , but that's how it works on my Go 510.

Thanks. But no. As I am in Spain and therefore "off the map" TomTom won't find a valid GPS position to start from.

Perhaps I'll try another board in the hope of getting some other responses to my questions?

Sorry you aren't getting the help you are looking for johnash. I think most users here have a TomTom device and not many have NAV 6 installed on a PDA. Please stick with this site while you look for another for your solution. Others may end up inthe same spot as you, or maybe someone will eventually be able to help.

Sorry you aren't getting the help you are looking for johnash. I think most users here have a TomTom device and not many have NAV 6 installed on a PDA. Please stick with this site while you look for another for your solution. Others may end up in the same spot as you, or maybe someone will eventually be able to help.

For sure - I got all the help I needed to get my system working OK. Thanks for all your hard work battom!

I think I can confirm for myself that TomTom is nowhere near as flexible for route and itinerary planning as my old Navigator which I have now reloaded onto my IPAQ for local travel - we are of to the Balearic Island of Mallorca in a while to do a bit of touring there and at least I can plan routes in my old Pocket Navigator and maybe use TT when we actually go. For me, planning vacations is at least half the fun!

Meanwhile, I have found TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) which plots TomTom itineraries for you onto Google Earth! Take a look at http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

I still have not found a good source of ready prepared routes/itineraries for the USA I can download?

Not sure what it's looking for but whatever it was, it found it in those files somewhere! Thought this might be useful to others who may be struggling with this beast.
It is looking for the TT system files. If you plan to have different maps on different cards, each card must have a copy of all the other files (i.e. everything except the map folder) to work.

As I understand it, all that is loaded to your PDA memory is a link to the SD card, nothing else. So, that SD card needs all the system files and a map.

Never do anything via ActiveSync if you can help it, because it modifies files that it transfers. Any files/maps for TT Navigator should be transferred via a card reader (ideally) or explorer.

I don't think TT home will work correctly via activesync, but it should do when the TT card is in the reader. Did you try that?

Ask a Question