One XL Fabulous Features but CRAPPY DIRECTIONS (Please Help!)

Hi,

I am a very capable user, and I quickly and easily configured my TomTom One XL and learned most/all of its features. While I think that it has a lot of great features, it just doesn't seem to give me decent directions at all. I received it as a gift, and the gift giver waited too long for me to be able to return/exchange it (which I would like to avoid anyway). Obviously, if I can't get it to give me good directions, it is basically useless.

Some details:

I live in well-documented suburbs in the Denver metropolitan area.

Google Maps always seems to coincide with what a local who drives the route frequently, would recommend. I have been comparing Google Maps's routes with that of my TomTom, and the TomTom is sending me out of the way or down an ill-advised path every time.

Today, I tried "fastest route", which gave a route that sent me through miles of lights when a parallel road would have been smooth sailing. I checked "shortest route", but that was just ridiculous. On another trip, which takes me 18 minutes via Google Maps (and is the way I would drive intuitively), it sendse me in the other direction to start, and takes 28 minutes instead of 18 minutes.

If anyone has any advice on how to overcome this, I would really appreciate it. It is such a nice gift, and I would hate to just let it sit there unused while I drive around with paper directions.

Thank you so much for your help.

There is no way to "overcome" this. It's what it does. Don't depend too much on the Time frames. TomTom's maps for us Westerners only takes into three road types with three associated speed limits. So the times will not be accurate because it has no idea what the speedlimits are on the road.
I always go by the difference in distance. It's going to be hit and miss constantly... But, as also mentioned in several posts, the purpose of a GPS is to get you to your destination. There is no way a GPS can replace local knowledge - ever.
But with that being said, I have misgivings as well because sometimes it routes me a long way around an intersection for some strange reason, when it is not blocked or anything. *shrug* All I know is it unfailing gets me within a block of wherever I want to go - 99% of the time.

The time frame isn't as big of a deal. It bothers me that on a route that is relatively short, should just be 5 roads on a grid (everything is on a grid here) , it takes me in the opposite direction to start with--180 degrees out of the way. This makes it useless.

If it gets you to you destination, it's not useless... The main goal is to route you to your destination - not find the best possible route from point A to point B...
Are there issues? Sure. But they are a far far cry away from making the TT useless.

The time frame isn't as big of a deal. It bothers me that on a route that is relatively short, should just be 5 roads on a grid (everything is on a grid here) , it takes me in the opposite direction to start with--180 degrees out of the way. This makes it useless.

I don't get it. If you already know which way you want to go why are you using the TT for directions?

If you don't like the TT choice you can ask it for an Alternative Route or if you don't like that you can tell it to avoid the road you don't like or if you don't like that you can create a detailed itinerary or if you don't like that you can ignore it completely and just get a thrill when it says "You have arrived at your destination."

two cents

I think Shadows right. You can't replace you knowledge of local roads with any gps. I tried a garmin before tt and they both did about the same (the tt did do a bit better though).
I do travel alot and the tt is yet to let me down, I always get where I needed to go.:)

Nav systems are best at getting you somewhere you don't already know how to find. Otherwise they're just distracting you from watching the road. When I first got my One, I tested its route planning and it does pretty well except for the very-strong preference for Interstates because of the default speeds programmed into it, but it does better when I tell it to prefer the shortest distance. No technology is a substitute for common sense.

Thank You

If it gets you to you destination, it's not useless... The main goal is to route you to your destination - not find the best possible route from point A to point B...
Are there issues? Sure. But they are a far far cry away from making the TT useless.

I don't get it. If you already know which way you want to go why are you using the TT for directions?

If you don't like the TT choice you can ask it for an Alternative Route or if you don't like that you can tell it to avoid the road you don't like or if you don't like that you can create a detailed itinerary or if you don't like that you can ignore it completely and just get a thrill when it says "You have arrived at your destination."

I think Shadows right. You can't replace you knowledge of local roads with any gps. I tried a garmin before tt and they both did about the same (the tt did do a bit better though).
I do travel alot and the tt is yet to let me down, I always get where I needed to go.:)

Nav systems are best at getting you somewhere you don't already know how to find. Otherwise they're just distracting you from watching the road. When I first got my One, I tested its route planning and it does pretty well except for the very-strong preference for Interstates because of the default speeds programmed into it, but it does better when I tell it to prefer the shortest distance. No technology is a substitute for common sense.

Thank you guys!!! I agree! :cool:

TomTom Good For Getting Unlost, Google Maps for Fast and Efficient Directions

First, thank you all for your replies and input. I really appreciate it, and it is helping me get a frame of reference and develop and reality-test my own expectations.

Having said that, I must respectfully disagree with some of the things that have been said. If I know exacrly where to go, then of course, I don't need to use my TomTom. Frequently, however, I will want to so somewhere where I know the begining part, but not the ending. IF the TomTom is so off on the beginning part, it doesn't make me confident that it is going to route me well on the ending (and it often hasn't).

More importantly than this, I wholly reject the notion that the point of a GPS is to get you there without regard for speed or efficiency. Time is money, and if I have to go to an appointment or commitment, I can't afford to be spending extra time (and fuel) driving around for no good reason. When I use Google Maps on a route that is new to me, I know that I am almost always travelling the fastest way, and I can learn this route and add it to my mental database for future trips. I can understand the value of what you are saying, as far as, if I Was dropped in the middle of an unfamiliar area, the GPS would be helpful in geting me home. This is great for a one-shot deal, where I am not under any time constraints, and I want total flexibility in my itinerary. If, however, instead of going to work, I want to wake up, drive to an appointment at a new place in a new town, then go to work, I want to know the fastest route, so I don't waste my time and fuel, and I get to work ASAP and don't have to work later.

So my conclusion is that the TomTom seems helpful if you find yourself lost and just need to get back to a known place without regard for time. If you want fast, efficient routing and good directions, it doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Comments?

I wonder why the map data (or TomTom's interpretation of it) is so off where you live. As I said, I tested mine on some routes I was already familiar with when I first got it, and the only thing I found wrong-headed about its choices was the fact that if there's an interstate anywhere close it'll choose that, even if you end up with a right-triangle situation where the not-interstate route was a straight line, but TomTom goes down the interstate and makes a 90-degree turn in the middle of the route. "prefer shortest" fixes that, and it hasn't chosen any whacked-out routes in town when I told it to navigate from my house to an address.

That suggests to me that the map data is deficient in your area, since the routing algorithm should be the same between your XL and my One New Edition that's updated to the latest.

I live in NY. When I tested it in areas I was familiar with it gave the same directions that I would pick.

The road information such as speed limit, type of road, etc comes from government sources. The mapping company uses that data plus any other information it can get to create maps and sells it to TT. If the original road data in your area is wrong or lacking detail that can be a problem for a GPS picking a route.

There is a street error in my neighborhood that is shown wrong on every map I've looked at for the past 20 years. That includes various printed street maps Google Maps, Yahoo Maps and TT. I guess I should attempt to fix it with Mapshare. If a GPS is trying to pick a route and the information in your area is not correct it may not optimize the route. Wrong information like speed limit or Red Lights would cause a problem.

I've had it route me some wacky ways, but it wasn't totally off the ball - except for once, but it's never done that route again, so it could have been an issue with the GPSFix or something, no idea. Sometimes it takes you VERY literal - like shortest route I believe takes you the absolute shortest route it can find - and it doesn't care about speed limits, lights, left hand turns, etc. Fastest general works the best, and try the route - I bet you'll see why I sent you that way - whether it actually is the fastest route or not, the algorythums it's programmed with THINK it is, and it cannot be as smart as you with local knowledge. It doesn't understand street lights & stop signs for one. And it also, at least prior to 7.15 maps - I've heard mention that some speedlimits have been added, ignores actual posted speed limits - it only bases the speed limits on three different types of roads (so I have been told.)
But the point is, the GPS isn't there to save you time and money - no where does it claim to do so, nor do I think ANY claim to do so. It's there to get you to an unknown destination. Period.

First, thank you all for your replies and input. I really appreciate it, and it is helping me get a frame of reference and develop and reality-test my own expectations.

Having said that, I must respectfully disagree with some of the things that have been said. If I know exacrly where to go, then of course, I don't need to use my TomTom. Frequently, however, I will want to so somewhere where I know the begining part, but not the ending. IF the TomTom is so off on the beginning part, it doesn't make me confident that it is going to route me well on the ending (and it often hasn't).

More importantly than this, I wholly reject the notion that the point of a GPS is to get you there without regard for speed or efficiency. Time is money, and if I have to go to an appointment or commitment, I can't afford to be spending extra time (and fuel) driving around for no good reason. When I use Google Maps on a route that is new to me, I know that I am almost always travelling the fastest way, and I can learn this route and add it to my mental database for future trips. I can understand the value of what you are saying, as far as, if I Was dropped in the middle of an unfamiliar area, the GPS would be helpful in geting me home. This is great for a one-shot deal, where I am not under any time constraints, and I want total flexibility in my itinerary. If, however, instead of going to work, I want to wake up, drive to an appointment at a new place in a new town, then go to work, I want to know the fastest route, so I don't waste my time and fuel, and I get to work ASAP and don't have to work later.

So my conclusion is that the TomTom seems helpful if you find yourself lost and just need to get back to a known place without regard for time. If you want fast, efficient routing and good directions, it doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Comments?
I agree with what you are saying, only difference is that if I'm in unfamilar area and have to rely solely on the GPS it is going to give me a time frame and that is what I'm going to rely on, when I make a run and have the route planned on google the way I want to go (familiar) with 90% of the area, I just follow my own way to the 10% area and the GPS has done a great job getting me to the location I want, everything is not 100% and I can live with that, as mentioned with even the Garmin (which I had previously) it worked in the same manner as the TomTom...

Comments?

I absolutely agree with you, and suffice it to say that there are satnav systems that do a pretty decent job at choosing a good route, and others that generally don't do quite as good a job at choosing the best or most logical routes. In the end, one must choose the feature set of the system that best suits one's needs. Unfortunately, we generally don't KNOW exactly what these comparative strengths are until AFTER we've bought the darned things, and compared them. I suspect that in your case, as in my case, relatively high focus will be placed on the system's ability to select an economical/logical/quick route.

My next satnav purchase decision is going to be to buy 2 or 3 systems and try them in parallel to the same destinations for a few days, and return the ones that don't work as well for MY PERSONAL preferences/needs.

Last edited:
While I can appreciate that it is not that easy to create the shortest route or the most logical route, I am finding the trip planning quite silly.

I live about 100 meters east of Yonge St. in Toronto.

When it is trying to to get me 1 km north on Yonge St., it tells me to go east, then north, then west to Yonge St. then north, rather than just going west 100 meters to Yonge St. and turn north.

If it can't figure out that going west and then north is more logical than going east then north then west then north, then I'm afraid I will just have to ignore parts of the plan.

Fortunately, it seems to auto-correct when I deviate from the plan.

While I can appreciate that it is not that easy to create the shortest route or the most logical route, I am finding the trip planning quite silly.

I live about 100 meters east of Yonge St. in Toronto.

When it is trying to to get me 1 km north on Yonge St., it tells me to go east, then north, then west to Yonge St. then north, rather than just going west 100 meters to Yonge St. and turn north.

If it can't figure out that going west and then north is more logical than going east then north then west then north, then I'm afraid I will just have to ignore parts of the plan.

Fortunately, it seems to auto-correct when I deviate from the plan.

Mabe it was taking you to an intersection with a stoplight? :D Nah!

Ask a Question