One XL-S to 1605 lost features

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S IQ,Via 1605M
I just bought a Via 1605M mainly because my One's maps are outdated and I don't want to pay big dollars (repeatedly) for map upgrades.

I like the big screen and it's useable but I'm surprised to find the number of useful features that have gone away compared to the older unit. Why do new versions of everything have to go backward?

Partial list:
-Quick disconnect mount (now I have to pull off and remount the suction cup every time)
-Save multiple itineraries
-Slide show route preview
-Operate from PC
-Backup to PC
-Free safety cameras
-Simulation speed adjustment

Workarounds, comments?

Last edited:
-Quick disconnect mount (now I have to pull off and remount the suction cup every time) Yes - it's not just the one you bought, either. They've been doing this cheap mount for a while. Drives me nuts, but only certain models have the better mount. The VIA series is all this way.
-Save multiple itineraries That's one of the more annoying losses. Most of us save them as POI, but as you will understand, that doesn't keep them sorted. So you have to use a paper list to keep yourself in sequence.
-Slide show route preview Not sure what you mean, but no doubt it's missing!
-Operate from PC I always liked the emulator mode, too, especially if I had any serious data entry to do for which there was no convenient automatic method for creating the info.
-Backup to PC This is ONE item that isn't nearly as bad as you think. All of your personal information (POI, favorites, icons, voices etc.) can be backed up separately. As before, if things go badly, the device will download code itself. The one GOOD thing is if your maps are corrupted or 'lost', they're always waiting for you on the TT server in 'your account'. That's actually one improvement for this new line of units.
-Free safety cameras Don't you get the initial load for free?
-Simulation speed adjustment Nope, and it sure would be nice. Real-time isn't always what a person wants.

-Slide show route preview Not sure what you mean, but no doubt it's missing!
It was called "Browse as images." It would show each turn as though you were approaching it, and let you step through them.
-Free safety cameras Don't you get the initial load for free?
Yes, but TomTom Home always gave me updates for free too.

You should get periodic updates offered to you as well via MyTomTom. Nothing showing up?

4 quarterly map updates at $ 39.95 for the old device might have gone a long way relative to the new price. These days, the top of the line cost half as much as I paid for my 930 five years ago. Something gotta give to maintain life time free maps.

Like canderson and you I also bemoan the loss of the features mentioned but even more so that I have no Blutooth remote control on the newer devices.

At least one improvement you will learn to appreciate and that is when planing a route before satellite acquisition, after entering the destination it asks if you want to depart from the last known location (where the device was shut off).

What I too miss most is not to be able to program routes and POIs in the emulator.

I never used the "Browse as images" 2D map turn-by-turn preview.

4 quarterly map updates at $ 39.95 for the old device might have gone a long way relative to the new price.
You might have a point. Last time I checked it was $69.95. Is there something I need to do to get that price? If it had been "4 updates any time" instead of 1 year I might have gone for it.
I never used the "Browse as images" 2D map turn-by-turn preview.
I found it the quickest way to see just which roads it had come up with for a route. Now I have to zoom the map which is a pain. If tapping the instruction in the text list ("Show instructions") would just zoom in to that spot instead of showing the entire route it would help a lot.

You might have a point. Last time I checked it was $69.95. Is there something I need to do to get that price? If it had been "4 updates any time" instead of 1 year I might have gone for it.
I cannot say. A couple of days ago I got a direct eMail offer at that price.
In 2009 they wanted nearly 100 bucks plus that 21 % VAT they charged as shipped from the Netherlands. I didn't go for it, figured once every 3 years is enough dough.
A bit later we got eMails telling us that they now had opened a Canadian map store and wanted $ 64.00. I went for it (quick, before they changed their minds again) but was billed actually about $ 48.00. After installing the 2nd quarter of that one I got a note in HOME that my map was about to expire and that I could update for a year with a 50 % bonus for 39.95. I did, accidentally, thinking that my previous subscription had expired. That was 7 quarters ago.

I found it the quickest way to see just which roads it had come up with for a route. Now I have to zoom the map which is a pain. If tapping the instruction in the text list ("Show instructions") would just zoom in to that spot instead of showing the entire route it would help a lot.
If I don't know the area, it makes no difference to me as I would not know any better.
If I do know the area I ignore the instructions anyway and keep it going mainly for hands free telephone calls. (Illegal in Ontario to use hand held communication devices while driving).

If you made that feature a habit for you I can see how annoying the deletion can be.

That link is strange, mvl. If you click on the button for US and World maps, the screenshot changes to a 550 model with EasyMenu. (but still says 540)

Ask a Question