Dire Help

TomTom Model(s)
Via 135. "Lifetime" Europe map. Purchased USA map. Old TT GO 930T as backup and for ITN use!
I have mixed feelings about my first experiences with TomTom. I have been using a European navigator (Pocket Navigator 6) until now with a "cheap BT GPS (Zaapa?).

An update to TomTom Home was downloaded and the headaches began. It did not like the TT account I'd already setup and insisted on having a new one. The transfer of maps has been far from glitch-free with errors reported, often near the end of the transfer, and TomTom Home keeps locking up. I think it may be because it does not like my IPAQ being in its cradle and connected when TomTom Home is started up?

The Maps of Spain (which the TT site claims are the latest) are at least 4 years out of date. Our local town had a new bypass built then and it is not on these maps, nor is the new AP7 Autopista passing near my house.

My new G-sat GPS receiver is wonderful, however; locking in within a minute. (My old one used to take up to 15 minutes and even then was not always seen by my IPAQ).

Help Please! In dire straits

Things were going so well.....

I had problems with my 2Gb SD card. I deleted maps and voices using Tomtom Home. Reformatted it. Tried to install new maps and voices. When I ran Tomtom it said no maps.

Tried my other (1Gb) card> still reported no maps.

Each time I tried something new, Tomtom Home insisted it could not associate with my existing Tomtom online account so I created a new one using a different Email address. Each of the, by now, 4 accounts, however, refer to the same and correct Product ID.

I can now install and activate maps from my Western Europe (Maps only) DVD. However, when I try and use maps from the original USA/Tomtom6 DVD, it goes online and seems to activate them, then installs them to SD card. But when I launch Tomtom to use USA maps it states they are not activated. I go to ttcode.com. Enter Product Code. It gives me back the correct Product ID, gives me a code which Tomtom then says is not valid when I try to enter it.

Any ideas please? I have uninstalled an reinstalled Tomtom to no avail. The same conditions apply.

Thanks, in desperation.

This post has gone unreplied to all day?!?!?! Wow... johnash, I'm sorry no one has gotten back to you on this. Maybe you stumped everyone! :)

My first insticnt on this particular one it to tell you to write down step by step exactly what you did, then email it to TomTom support (or call them).

I'll muttle over this one some more and see if I can figure it out, but I've been hanging sheetrock for my sister all weekend and quite honestly, I'm beat. Exact sep by stp, post it, also contact TT Suport. Someone will get back to you!

I guess I over looked this post.
I also would like to know what steps you took to install/upload the map(s).

My first question would be, did you install the app from the DVD or did you just try to install the maps? I had trouble when I just tried installing the maps. When I installed the app, maps, and voices, all went well.

Last post before bed for me... Actually I was laying in bed thinking about this one... try uninstalling HOME and reinstalling from the lastest version on TomTom's support site. install the app (again) on the SD card, them load yoru maps again... see what happens.

...night. West coasters will take over :)

Sigh... the only real problem I have ever encountered being an IT professional... is that I can't leave a problem unsolved. It eats at me... I posted about 30 minutes ago I was going to bed, but I can't sleep unless I try to help fix this... (re-reading your original post)

Last edited:
Muchas gracias, but...

Goodness. You shouldn?t be losing sleep over my problems! That?s my prerogative!. It?s great of you guys to have such a conscience. I was thinking about this at about 4 am (Spanish time!) but not for too long.

I have an IPAQ hx2490. Windows CE5.0. TomTom Home 1.5. Navigator 6.010. Maps 6.5.

Yes, I have a backup. But it won?t restore. Though TomTom Home knows my IPAQ is there (it tells me what is installed) when I go to ?Backup? it says NO DEVICE at top right. It opens the progress bar to restore but just sits there smirking at me! Oh, it also said I was about to restore to a different device. It seems to think I have about 43 devices!

From failing memory, here?s what happened:-

1. Installed TomTom Home (update downloaded, I think).(All with IPAQ in cradle and connected with Activesync)

2. Installed Nav 6 to Internal Memory (At some very early stage, TomTom does not like the ?My TomTom? a/c already set up so set up a new one.)

3. Installed a US map. There was a glitch with this. Don't think it did the activation stage before copying the file.

4. Tried again with more US maps. All went well, but with a couple of failed transfers. This MAY have been due to power or other glitches my PC suffers from. TomTom Home often locks up. Try and remember to put IPAQ in cradle AFTER loading TomTom Home

I do a backup around here!

5. But then all went smoothly. More US maps. All working. Quite impressed except that TomTom tries to route you to Golden Nugget in Las Vegas when "no motorways" selected (avoid I15 like the plague!), up Fremont Street. Don?t think people watching Fremont Street experience would be too pleased!. Beginning to not be so elated with TomTom. I digress.

6. Decide to try W Europe maps from W Europe maps DVD. Tries to install an older version of TomTom Home and downloading a newer version from the Net. Does not seems to know it is already installed.

7. Load and activate maps for Spain and give it test run. Very old maps! Disappointing. And TomTom site tells me these are the latest. (Not if you go to US site though!).

8. Decide, after reading this forum, I need to put on North America in total. Delete existing maps using TomTom Home. Think it may be quicker to use card reader. (TROUBLES BEGIN HERE). TomTom Home thinks this is yet another device. Then cannot see the card. Reformat 2Gb card in IPAQ (unlike PALM, there is no resident facility to do this in WM5 - I download Storage Tools from softwinter.com which checks and re-formats my card to FAT32. )

9. Try putting on maps. Another TomTom account created.. All sorts of problems. Uninstall and reinstall TomTom Navigator 6 to IPAQ.

10. It is interesting this card is not recognized in my card reader). I now suspect the 2Gb card may have a problem. It works OK in IPAQ but my PC cannot see it or format it. Decide 2Gb card may be the problem (or one of them!). Concentrate on my 1Gb card with which I have never had a problem.

11. TomTom Home say this is yet another device! I am losing my sanity.

12 Install a map of Guam (small file!). It appears to activate

13. TomTom reports ?no maps?

14. Install some W Europe maps (the W Europe DVD tries, as ever, to install another Version of TomTom Home). They activate OK. TomTom reports no maps.

15. Suicidal. Then remember this article: http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=206 [Search on page for "I've discovered the source"]
If I take out my Flash card, TomTom sees the maps! But states Gaum is not activated and tells me to activate it manually. Which I do. The Device ID, as ever, is correct. I get the same activation code as before. But TomTom says it is not valid. This is the case for all US maps I have tried. Europe maps OK as long as I don?t have the Flash card in.

However, the 2Gb card WAS working fine (thought it has never been recognized in the card reader ? though that is pretty old). And it had all worked without the need to take out the Flash card.

I rest my case. M?lud. These are events as I recall them. The order maybe slightly different but the key facts are here. I now have 4 TomTom ?My TomTom? accounts ? all showing the correct device code.

LATEST
I thought I was making progress. I put my 1Gb card into my cardreader and TomTom Home was happy. It was even happy with the a/c I was logged into. I tried loading Illinois. It went ahead and activated, transferred the files in but a few minutes. Did Navigator see the map? No, of course not. The Illinois directory on SD card turned out to be empty. Tried again. This time it said my card in the card reader was ?not associated with this TomTom account?, again.

Back to IPAQ in cradle. For each of the four ac/s I try to log into, each of them gets the message ?The device that is connected to your computer is not associated with this TomTom account.?. I?m not creating a fifth! How can it not recognize my device after all this? Oh dear?.

Maybe this is the key. My creating all these account and none of them being recognised?

Sorry to be so long winded. There must be a clue here somewhere?

Having laid out several hundred Dollars/Euros. One really shouldn?t have to go through all this! Eh? It?s a nice morning here in Murcia, Spain, at least.

Thank you.

Postscript

2 things.

1. I had already Emailed Tomtom with a brief summary of my woes. Sorry.

2. Florida map just loaded via cradle and TTHome. I SKIPPED activation. (Not logged in as no a/cs valid). Rebooted IPAQ. Loaded Tomtom. Switched to Florida map. And I'm looking at a parking lot in Miami!?!?! No request for activation, no dramas, no nervous breakdowns, no nothing.

What IS going on? But progress at least, except we are not going to Miami! I'll try another I have had loaded before

If I go out and buy myself a new 2Gb SD card, how do I start to use it without the dreaded "unrecognised device", reports? In other words, how to normal people who have not had all this upgrade their cards, having started with a smaller one?

William John

Bit more News

Right. Have now loaded a further set of US maps, ones I had loaded before.(NY VT etc)

PROVIDED I am not logged on AND I skip activation, they work! Also with the proviso that I do not have my flash card inserted.

I still can't do a backup or restore, log on to a valid account etc..

I'd like to end up with one SD card with W Europe maps on and another with N. America map set on. I'll wait for further advice.

Many thanks
Feeling happier. (Who he?)

Pps

Sorry for the dribs and drabs but that's how it goes and thought every little helps..

Maybe the reason it does not like the Flash card inserted is because, when I uninstalled and reinstalled TomTom to my IPAQ, it installed via the Flash card not the SD card - in my shellshocked condition I had not realised what was going on - so I guess it may be looking for maps there when I run TT with the Flash card inserted? Shall I delete files from the flash card?

WJA

Thanks. Before I try that, I need to sort out the other problems. Particularly the backup/restore problem.

Could the problem with "device not associated with this account. Create new one....etc" be something to do with ONSPEED through which I connect to the internet?!

WJA

I am beginning to get to the bottom of this. As TomTom reinstalled itself via the Flash Card, its various files are there whilst the maps are on the SD card. When the Flash Card is present it looks for maps there and there aren't any?

I run TT without the Flash card and it finds the maps, but, I assume it is missing various files so maybe this is why, for example Backup and Restore don't work.

What I'll think I'll try is uninstalling Tomtom. Make sure its files are removed from Flash Card. Then reinstalling via SD card (having ONSPEED switched off at all times so my account can be properly accessed).

Think that's a good idea?

It's odd maps seem to work without activating when the Flash Card is removed.

Off to bed now.

Last edited:
I am beginning to get to the bottom of this. .....

No I'm not.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Tomtom via a brand new, fast 2Gb SD card (this is getting expensive).

No change. Europe maps install and run, US maps will install but not activate. It still does not recognise any of my Tomtom accounts as being valid even with ONSPEED turned off.

If I install (but not necessarily activate!) my maps via a new card reader (even more expense), it recognises that and will do a backup but still sees my PDA as not really valid even though it installs the software and maps to it, it still won't backup or restore: "No Tomtom device".

I am going to send this link to my retailer as I think it was their, possibly, faulty SD card that started this problem. I think I need to completely reset my PDA and start again. But will Tomtom install to what would appear to be another device?

Oh:- response from Tomtom support was that my USA maps had been activated and then quoted the codes for my Europe maps. Totally useless. I think they had read 3 words of my message to them.

(I can still run Tomtom if I remove the flash card (from which all reference to Tomtom has now been removed). For some odd reason it does not need the US maps activated then?!?) However, even with 'FLASHY' removed it is still not liking any Tomtom accounts. Or properly recognising the device.

If I understand your situation correctly, you have Navigator installed in the onboard memory and the maps on an SD card.

Shouldn't the TT application and the maps be in the same location, i.e.: the SD card? I don't think the application can find the maps if they installed somewhere else.

Why don't you just have everything on the SD card?

AFAIK, It needs to be installed on the SD card.

Maps should be installed via the card reader, not the PDA. When the SD card (with app and map) is in the card reader, it should be recognised as a TT by the PC.

If you want to do a backup, do it via the card reader!

Ask a Question