Did the Navore 8 upgrade kill VR on your unit? A theory why

I always use the disconnect option, but Home is telling me during any update process to disconnect and reconnect the TOMTOM (TomTom's CSR told me to ignore this, that it is a software issue with Home that they are working to fix)...
I have this also. As you said, no problems to ignore it.

...I haven't tried to make the cspeech???.dat read only. How do you do that?..
It's a Windows file. You open your Windows Explorer, find your TOMTOM dirve letter, go in the "NorthAmerica..." directory, find that cspeech file, right-click and select "read-only" check box, then click ok. I don't think this is the problem but, we never know!

... Does the File you add in the ASR folder have to be in the map ASR file which I have on the memory card or the one on the internal memory? I have two ASR files, but never had any problems before the navcore 8 update.
The "support_asr.dat" file need to be in the ASR directory only. From what you're saying, you have the colored icons and it sometimes work so, the "support_asr.dat" isn't the issue.

The "cspeech???.dat" must be in the directory where your "in use" map is so, if it's on an external card, it need to be there. If you have a map in the internal memory and one on an extra SD card, the "cspeech???.dat" must be on both the internal and extra card directory where the map is located. NOTE: On mine, (on the internal memory) this isn't in the directory called "map", this is in a directory called "NorthAmerica 2Gb" or something like that. Putting the "cspeech???.dat" in the directory called "map" will not work!
I understand you have 2 maps? If not, why use the SD card to put the map? Maybe this is where the TT gets confused? Anyhow, I'd say confirm the "cspeech???.dat" is really where your map directory is.

Thanks papossible.!!

I don't know which map I have on the internal memory card. I put my NA 2GB on the memory card. It could be guam. anyway, I put the ASR file in both of the folders and it did nothing, so I did a pin reset and it worked. -- for now.

Thanks papossible.!!

I don't know which map I have on the internal memory card. I put my NA 2GB on the memory card. It could be guam. anyway, I put the ASR file in both of the folders and it did nothing, so I did a pin reset and it worked. -- for now.

Look at the contents of the unit using Explorer. Look for a folder called North_America (something). If you see it, then that map is in internal. Also use Explorer to see what the contents of your sd card are. Again, the map folder should be obvious (called Guam, for example).

Yeah, it's weird how it's affecting some and not others. I just kept smackin' it into submission...... I WON !!

Deffinatly working....and working quite well

dump479080500.jpg

dump479080503.jpg

I had a problem when I updated firmware to 8.010 with no VR untell I copied the support file and yet everything worked well untill I did the upgrade.

I notice you have North America V805.1801 on your Go 720.
How do you like the new features with ver 805 map ?

Last edited:
It's alright.

Alot of HYPE with the "pretty pictures" -AKA- lane assist/ view thangy

Pretty much the same.

Now Chilly.......

There you go again........being practical. Next thing I expect you to report is that, after the novelty wears off, VR doesn't get used too often (or is that me saying that? :confused: :D )

Now Chilly.......

........being practical.

Yeah, I guess i've tired of all the "coolness" , diggin round changin stuff.

Most importantly ..... I need good mapping = check

.......I like voice prompts at certain times = check

All this other stuff's just fluff.

........Outta here

Here's my experience (this is my first post). I got my 720 6/29. I don't recall what firmware it had, and it upgraded the first time I connected to Home. It came with NA_2GB v710.1584 (do I need to upgrade this? Home reports that it is the latest, but I have seen refs to 8.050 maps, I think). My App is 8.010, OS: 190943.
VR worked for me right away, and then it quit working. The two icons were still present and active, but when I punched one, it was as if the mic was dead. The voice level meter did not move, and the 720 did not hear my (increasingly loud) instructions.
So I read around here and noticed the instruction that the support vr file needed to have no spaces and not return. I checked mine, and it had both two spaces and a return. I downloaded the support vr file from one of the links offered here, installed it over the file with the extra spaces and return, rebooted and--bingo--it now works. We'll see if it keeps working. Hope this helps someone.

Here's my experience. I got my 720 on 6/29. I don't recall what firmware it had out of the box, and it upgraded the first time I connected to Home. It came with NA_2GB v710.1584 (do I need to upgrade this? Home reports that it is the latest, but I have seen refs to 8.050 maps, I think). My App is 8.010, OS: 190943.
VR worked for me right away, and then it quit working. The two icons were still present and active, but when I punched one, it was as if the mic was dead. The voice level meter did not move, and the 720 did not hear my (increasingly loud) instructions. Same symptom as bilybob had.
So I read around here and noticed the instruction that the support vr file needed to have no spaces and not return. I checked mine, and it had both two spaces and a return. I downloaded the support vr file from one of the links offered here, installed it over the file with the extra spaces and return, rebooted and--bingo--it now works. We'll see if it keeps working. Hope this helps someone. BTW, I had tried a soft reset, but not a pin hardware reset--to no avail. The voice recognition is not very accurate, in my estimation. But I will need to play with it more to know for sure.

What TomTom REALLY needs is both competent software engineers AND competent QA (Quality Assurance) analysts.

I think we all continue to suffer since it appears they have neither at this point.:(

Agreed with you on the QA, but I don't think it's software engineering that's at fault here, it's the product managers. I'm biased 'cause I am one, but to briefly explain the role: the product manager finds out what the customer wants from the product and tells the engineers what they need to go build to make the customer happy. The software engineer rarely gets to see their code running in the full product; they only get to see their little piece of it.

Example: NavCore 8 includes the ability to correct speed limits on the whole road or a part of it. Functionally, this part was written very well. Kudos to the software engineers. ...but practically speaking, it should not require the user to tap on every road segment where the speed limit does not apply. It's more likely the user would be selecting the portion of a road they travel regularly rather than unselecting all the other parts one tap at a time. If the software engineers had understood the requirement better, they would have implemented it differently and the feature would be easier to use.

The difference is in these two descriptions: "Build a way that users can select a portion of the road where the speed limit applies." vs. "Build a way that users can choose a portion of road that they travel often where the speed limit applies, with no more than 5 finger taps no matter how long or short the road is. This will be used to accommodate things like school zones (where the speed limit is lower)"

Anyway, I'm off topic here, sorry. Back to VR...

My theory is that it there has been a sly attempt on the part of tomtom to correct the unintentional presence of VR in the TT720. The speech recognition files are most definitely downloaded with the North American 7.20 maps. You can see them when you go the the download folder and explore the zip file that is present. But it is the HOME software that, during the installation of the map on the TT720, fails to migrate the speech recognition files from the downloaded file onto the tomtom itself.

I had the same problem after upgrading to navcore8 and upgrading to the most recent map. I had a brand new unit, did the upgrade "by the book" and was not able to get VR working after adding the support_asr file into the ASR folder. All I had to do was go to the downloaded map and directly copy over everything within the North_America_2GB.zip file into the map folder on the TT720, and VR worked wonderfully.

Ask a Question