Did the Latest Map Guarantee work for you?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
We see a lot of posts about TomTom Homes "Use Latest Map Guarantee" not working properly or reporting owners have the latest map when they do not. Is it a common occurance or just a very small percentage of owners that are affected? Let us know.

Last edited:
Darn it. I voted that I didn't see the option but meant to vote that LMG didn't work. It happened with the 630 I bought and later returned and again with the 740. Both times LMG didn't work and I had to contact customer service to get the latest map.

So that should have been TWO votes that it didn't work:)

I got your back Germerican

And I forgot to vote. I know it didn't work on at least one of my TomTom's, but can't remember for certain on the other.

Last edited:
So that should have been TWO votes that it didn't work:)

I got your back Germerican

You're right! That should have been two votes. Thanks for changing it! :D

I'm not sure why the LMG didn't work both times. I remember back when I got my ONE XL the LMG worked like a charm. TomTom isn't doing this on purpose, hoping that some people won't bother contacting support about it, or are they?

EDIT:
Wait a second. I guess that makes it two votes for NO and one for YES. I think I'm mentally already enjoying my long weekend.

Last edited:
I have a 3yr old TT One XL and it worked just fine yesterday with the latest LMG, the one prior to this worked just the same, I voted yes.....John

11-27-09 update, the new map worked fine, but this time when I was out on a ride and punched in home it was blank, had to reprogram home back into the TT, this didn't happen on the previous map update, not a biggie but still was there............

Last edited:
The LMG is just the first FREE update you get when you purchase a new device Eldorado. Not the map subscription or notification that a new map was released for your older Tomtom:)

When I got my 730T a few months ago I was about 3 weeks from the 835 release. When it was released I used my LMG to update to it. I had to call TT CustServ to get it on my account. They were very nice and I did not have to produce any proof of purchase. They enabled it and I was off the phone 10 minutes later. That being my first contact with CustServ I was impressed.

So just ot be clear, The Latest Map Guarantee option within TomTom Home did not offer you the latest map, or it indicaated the map you already had was the most current available? You had to call Tomtom to get it taken care of? Yes, TomTom has been very good at taking care of it if a new buyer knows to call.

What I'm trying to determine is whether the LMG option in Tomtom Home works more often than it doesn't. That's the only way most owners would ever know a newer map was available, so that feature working properly in TomTom Home is important.

How know if truly latest?

If it said I had the latest map, how would I know if that is true? Is there a place to check what is the current version?
I did find where to find the map version on mine.

Last edited:
If it said I had the latest map, how would I know if that is true? Is there a place to check what is the current version?
I did find where to find the map version on mine.

check here what is the latest map

and my sig at bottom shows the latest version as well

hope this help

Just a reminder for our new members with their brand-new TomTom's:)

All of you are probably due the latest map, 8.40, for free as part of your 30 day Latest Map Guarantee. Be sure to answer our poll whether TomTom Home properly notifies you that a newer map is available. Welcome to the TomTom Forums family!

I bought a XL 325 SE from Wal-mart on Black Friday. LMG stated that I had the latest map. The map was 835.

Called TomTom and they enabled the new map on my account. I downloaded & installed map 840.2570 through TomTom Home.

The way I found out that my map was out of date was when I tried to sign up for the map update service & it informed me that I had to install the new map update before I could sign up.

Things must be messed up from all of the new sales that Black Friday created.. :eek:

Worked fine for me. I have the 140s and it came with 8.35 maps. When I hooked it up to the computer, HOME recognized that there was a newer map available to download (for free) while checking for updates.

It showed me the map (US/Canada/Mexico) and a link that said "show more info." When I clicked the link, it showed the version of the new map (8.40) and a description (US/Canada/Mexico map, the size of the map, 7 million POI, etc.).

I bought the 730 from bestbuy for 174.00 (now they want 360!) Once I got home and setup home ect, I plugged it in and it said my maps were out of date, and gave me the new na 2gig 8.40 version, I didn't even have to click on the 30 day map Guarantee!

I bought the Walmart Black Friday XL325 SE. I have the 835 map and TomTom Home tells me it's the latest version. I just called customer support and I have to get them my proof of purchase, either by faxing to them or scanning to file for them. Snail mailing them a copy is not an option. I don't have access to a fax; I had a scanner that's been packed away in my basement for 3 years.
I don't know if it's even worth the bother. I'm not sure how but it seems they should have an easier way of handling this. For instance, this model has only been on sale for one week; how could I have had it for more than a month?
_ _ _ _ _

edited to add update.

I did connect to Home and update did not help.
So I spent a couple of hours running around town, to the library to copy my receipt, then to crowded Staples to stand in line to fax, only to have the fax machine say this number does not accept incoming calls.
Back to home, called TomTom again. Verified the first guy gave me the wrong fax number. I did not write it down wrong - he sent it in an email.
So I verified with this rep that the XL 325 SE was introduced only eight days ago so it was impossible that I had had it over 30 days. But she said I still have to verify proof of purchase because that's their policy. So now I'm back out again to face the Staples crowd. Then I should get the map update "within 2 days". So even at best it might still take 2 days to get the update. Arggghhh !

I have become very much not a TomTom fan.

Last edited:
Connect to Home and see if there is an updated application for your unit. If so, download and install and then try the LMG again.

No problems?

Worked fine for me. I have the 140s and it came with 8.35 maps. When I hooked it up to the computer, HOME recognized that there was a newer map available to download (for free) while checking for updates.

It showed me the map (US/Canada/Mexico) and a link that said "show more info." When I clicked the link, it showed the version of the new map (8.40) and a description (US/Canada/Mexico map, the size of the map, 7 million POI, etc.).

Did the new map load without any issues? My recently purchased 140S says to delete 3.2MBs due to insufficient memory and of course, no detailed instructions on how to accomplish it.:(

Try using Home to remove all voices except one computer voice and perhaps just one non computer voice.

Remove most car icons from the art/cars folder using Explorer. If you see any files in the raster folder, delete them.

In the license folder, remove all files not showing ENG_US.

Try now to install.

Did the new map load without any issues? My recently purchased 140S says to delete 3.2MBs due to insufficient memory and of course, no detailed instructions on how to accomplish it.:(

Like dhn said, you'll have to delete some files and then it'll work.

All I removed where all the voices except one - the computer voice I wanted to keep. If you want text to speech, make sure you keep at least one of the computer voices (Dave or Susan).

To delete the voices, simply hook up your 140s to the computer and when HOME opens, go to the "Manage my One" folder. Click on the tab "Items on Device" and click on Voices. Check every voice except the one you are going to keep. Then click on the "Remove Items form Device" button.

You should now have enough memory to install. If you still have a problem, maybe you should try to delete the map in the same manner as above and then install the new map.

Ask a Question