Did the Latest Map Guarantee work for you?

LMG on a refurb

It worked for me after contacting support and resolving a Windows firewall problem preventing the download. My XL 350 works fine now with the latest map loaded. Thanks to TomTom Support staffs patience and excellent guidance.

Rudy
Western Maryland

How do I go from here?

Used credit card to pay for map updates, got an email confirming payment but no map available when I try to download.

II'm in Queensland Australia, how and who do I contact to get this sorted.

TIA.:mad:

Telephone support for Tomtom in Australia is on 1300 135 604

I got the number from Tomtom's Australian website Support Home page Support Home Page

The link to the phone number is on the right at the bottom - "Phone us".

Does it work.. like hell it does.!

The biggest issue with map garantees is that if your equipment has changed before you are "allowed" by Tom Tom to change it on your account..you are basically SCREWED as the new unit will not be recognized as being tethered to your personal account and as such you are not allowed new map download even though you have paid for it.

total BS in my opinion.

I have had the unfortuante misfortune to have two devices stolen within a 14 month period. In Oct of 2010 I paid for 2 yr of map upgrades. (At least I think it was for 2 years.?), ...anyway - cost was $89,95 on my mastercard. To date I have only been e-mailed once with an update and when I tried to DL it and install into my then current unit, was blocked from doing so. The latest episode of theft was 3 weeks ago. I now sit with a refurbed Go 730 that cannot be added to my account...If I want to update it now...that will be some $71.20CAD pls. Because I just cant get the updates...Oh no...I am forced to purchase the latest map as well. That, is near theft in my mind.

That is crap. It should not matter one whit what device I am using, I paid for a series of updates / garantees & as such, I should be allowed to install it into whatever device I wish...No.? Granted it may be only a one time to one device DL/Install and I have no issue with that. Yet at same time it is maddening to be forced to use 3 different accounts/passwords/e-mail addresses for 3 devices within the same family group.! What are they using there...386's with 16 Mb of memory and Word Star on 5.5" floppys..?? give me a break people.

As for attempting to contact CS at TomTom...good luck wiith that...I do not believe there is such a thing...they simply cannot exist.!

stk

Last edited:
You may need some perseverance with customer services, but they CAN (and do) sort this sort of problem out all the time.

If you have had a device stolen, they can either link a new device to your existing account - along with any current subscriptions; or they can move a current subscription to a new account. It's all possible, you just need to talk to the right person and will probably need to send them a scan of a purchase receipt..

Where can I get the latest map. I have the via1405tm and when I turn on my unit it says my maps are outdated but my TomTom software says everything is up to date. I use the My TomTom software it will not work with the TomTom home software. Please help.

If the unit was recently purchased (within the last 90 days) and you've never had a map update for it, you should be able to use MyTomTom and log in. At your MyTomTom screen, a map should be offered (8.75 is the latest). If that isn't happening, call CS at 866-486-6866.

They had sent me a map update e-mail but when I click on the update it opens a page to open the home software which this unit via 1405tm does not work with it says device is not connected even though it is.

get straight back to TomTom customer services and tell them of their "schoolboy error"!
(I was going to be a lot ruder about them!)

While we are waiting, can you confirm whether you can connect the Via to MyTomTom and it is recognised (picture of it in the top right corner) and that you are correctly logged in with an email name that isn't shared with any other TomTom devices?

Thanks

It was an error on there part said my ativaction code had expired but they fixed it.

Also another question My father has the TomTom xxl 540tm and checked the version and it said v875.3669 is that the most updated version.

Thanks in advance

tom tom maps

I was a huge fan- bought my TomTom Go910 when they first came out - at a huge price too ?499. Mainly used for holidays. I Understood maps would be updated automatically.My UK, American and Australian maps were great initally.
My Tom Tom now often loses GPS signal, can take ages to find it when I switch on and seems to hang, plus the maps are always needing updating - have worked out the cost of maps and the sat Nav,is bad enough but it seems to me the updating constantly is becoming a very expensive business and I have Heard there are much cheaper options on the Market. whats your views

Unfortunately, AFAIK, no major GPS manufacturer is offering a one-price lifetime AUS map subscription for their units, nor are they offering lifetime maps with any of the AUS units they sell. That does make your decision more difficult.

The good news is that on average, screen size has gone up and prices have come down. When you say you use yours primarily on vacation --- vacation to which countries?

Latest Map Guarantee experience with Start 25

I bought a new Start 25 a couple of weeks ago. It worked fine until I set out to install the latest map.

The results in brief:
Don't use your old Tomtom account if you have one, get a new email address and use that.

Download and install the Mytomtom app, ignoring what it says at www.tomtom.com/getstarted about supported devices.

Use the Firefox web browser. Don't worry about firewall or anti-virus.

If the procedure fails, leaving the old map on the device having downloaded a new version, get on to Tomtom support, tell them that it is a known fault and that they should get second line support to set up a script to delete the old map. Don't accept any other advice from first line support!

Since you have registered a new account, you can claim a 10 UKpounds or 10 Euro voucher.

Now the long version
First of all, I followed the instructions in the box, which said go to www.tomtom.com/getstarted. There, I was offered a button to download the Mytomtom application, but it also said that this was only for Go 1000, Via Series and Sony XNV Navigation Module. If not, it said to download the Home 2 application.

I already had Home 2 from my previous Go 700, so I tried that. It didn't recognise the Start 25. So, having read around and going from the instructions, I installed the Mytomtom app.

That asked me to log in, which I did with my existing account details. It then recognised the Start 25 and asked whether I wanted to register it. OK, I did that.

I forget the exact sequence of events, but it deduced that my current Europe map was out of date and that I could update it. After 30 minutes on my 15 Mbit/s odd DSL connection, the map was downloaded, all 3 Gbytes of it and since the old map was too large to remain in memory, it tried to delete the old one and replace it with the new one. This failed and I was told to call customer support. This was Saturday, one of the times when most customers have time to play with their Tomtom devices, so of course Tomtom support only work weekdays during those hours when most customers go to work.

Anyway, 9:00 am Monday, I was in the queue for customer support, which was at that time fairly short. The support person thought that maybe I couldn't have two devices associated with one email address, so I created a new email address and he returned my Go 700 to the old one.

I then repeated the procedure with the new email address. Same result. I then spent a total of about three hours on the phone over a period of three days or so, speaking to maybe four different people. I was told to use Home 2 (which didn't work) reinstall the Mytomtom app, turn off firewall and anti-virus, use Internet Explorer not Firefox, use Firefox, not Internet Explorer all to no avail and 30 minutes download time each attempt. I must have spent a couple of full days on this.

Finally, it emerged that there had been a similar problem: inability to delete old map with a previous version, but they thought that it had been fixed. Eventually, second line support sent some form of script to the device which cleared it and then the new map downloaded fine.

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but in my researches, I saw mention of a 10 euro voucher for new registrations. I enquired and found that in the UK, in fact it's 10 pounds. So, armed with this, I've bought a USA map which I intend to use at the end of the month. I haven't actually dared to connect my Start 25 to the computer again, because I need to use it in Europe next week, but I'll post any updates if there are problems.

Yes, all Navcore 10.X models require MyTomTom.

Unfortunately, many screens on the TomTom site are out of date and don't reflect all models.

Also, as you've found, each unit must have a unique mail address.

Finally, and I'm just starting to notice this taking place this week in a few posts, users of N10 models updating their maps are seeing messages that there isn't room for the new map. As I guess you are aware, there isn't much a user can do to free up space since there is no access to the file system. It does require Custom Support intervention to delete the old map at their end.

As I said, this seems to be a new 'bug' in the map download process and I've only seen it a few times, but it's bothersome.

Just bought a TomTom VIA1505T. The manual says I have 30 days from the start of using the device to update to latest map. When I connected it using MyTomTom, it updated the Nav Core, but it's telling me it has the latest map. The map is NA v865.3296 (Release date: 1/2011). I understand the most current map is v875. Very annoying.

Just bought a TomTom VIA1505T. The manual says I have 30 days from the start of using the device to update to latest map. When I connected it using MyTomTom, it updated the Nav Core, but it's telling me it has the latest map. The map is NA v865.3296 (Release date: 1/2011). I understand the most current map is v875. Very annoying.

Update on my problem. I plugged in the unit later the same day that the Nav Core was updated, and again got the message that the map was up to date, but at the same time I also noticed that MyTomTom was slowly downloading something that was estimated to take almost 5 hours. I left the unit plugged in overnight, and when I woke up, the map was updated to v875. So, maybe a bit of patience is sometimes all that is required. At least that was the case for me. Not a perfect system by any means.

Yeah, the mismatch between what the web site's MyTomTom says and what it does is quite confusing & aggrevating. TT is aware of the issue...........

Thanks for the update. Glad it's sorted for you.

Ask a Question