Did the Latest Map Guarantee work for you?

Looking at TT home it says that the map is installed but needs to be activated :confused: There is a files downloaded on my laptop called activation_map_51010.cab If I run this will it activate the map?

Use WinRar to extract the file within the activation CAB file and place the resultant .meta.dct file in to the same folder on your device as the map files, the device should then recognise the new map - Mike

I read the link to the instructions on how to install a downloaded map. I copied the extracted meta.dct file into the Western Europe map folder on my 930 then it just locked up :confused: the only way I could switch it off was to press the reset on the bottom.

After resetting, did it recognize the map?

If not, this sometimes help, the Clear Flash tool.

It's found here. Run it 3 times

Just looking at the files now on my TT there seems to be a mix of them with different dates, where the ones in the zip file of the new map are all the same date 20/11/2009
On my TT for example the faces.dat file is dated 21/06/2008? The file out of the activation cab is dated 21/08/2102 :confused::confused:
I'm guessing somehow things have got mixed up & I have bits of both maps, is it best to delete everything out of my Western_and_Central_Europe on my device then copy the downloaded map + the activation file?

Just checked the sizes of the Western Europe maps
Original Folder size 1.83 GB (1,968,258,784 bytes) Backup saved
Current Folder size 2.02 GB (2,179,361,226 bytes) Currently on 930
Downloaded Folder 2.07 GB (2,230,290,566 bytes) New maps on laptop

Last edited:
Some files within a map folder do not get overwritten from map upgrade to map upgrade.

do not consider doing what you suggest unless you've made a complete Explorer backup first. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then you can try keeping the folder on your unit but deleting all files within and then doing the map install and see if it is recognized this time).

New maps on laptop

How is your Laptop connected to the internet? if you have been using WiFi you might have a corupt download as Home is known to mess up when using WiFi, direct cabled connections are always better - Mike

I did do a complete backup before I did anything. Just checking & the the folder has 57 files in it, the downloaded zip file has 35. Looking at the folder sizes between the original installation & the new one is 262 mb, from memory I think there was only about 230 mb frre when I first checked?

Is my best option to first copy the whole of the original backup on to the 930? Just want to get the dam thing working. At the moment I can only get the USA maps to work & they aren't much use in North Wales :eek:

Yes it was on wifi & it did have a problem & had to do it again. If I can get it working with the original maps will try again with a direct cable. I did download it onto my pc using a cable can I not copy this onto my laptop? TT support seemed to think this wouldn't work (talk of preventing piracy)

Last edited:
Ok I wiped everything out of the Europe map folder & copied the original back up (thanks for all the warnings to do this) It is now working again, or at least it's back to where I started a couple of days ago.

Now I have the LMG for Europe on my laptop (possibly corrupted but I don't think that's the problem) checking the size of the new map against the map installed & the free space showing it won't fit :confused:
TT home reports I have 232.1 mb free the new map is bigger by 262 mb !!! I need another 30 mb.

I have an 8 Gb SD card in the slot but would prefer not to pt the Europe maps on to it. If I do a map upgrade of the USA map can I get it to install onto the SD card (I've no plans to go to the US at the moment) this would then free up about 1.5 Gb on the unit. Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb but will this work? Or if I install the US maps onto the card (if thats possible) do I need to delete all whats in the North_America folder or does TT automatically do this? :confused::confused:

No, TomTom doesn't do any deleting automatically. Just always make an Explorer backup to play safe then move your specific map folders to where you want them. you certainly can have more than one map on the car and you just move between them via the Manage maps icon on your Tomtom.

I have both NA and New Zeland on the same sdhc card. When the unit will be used there, it's just a case of switching to that map.

At Last

If you have a box I can tick of Yes but with problems then I could vote for that.

I now have my 930 working with both the maps updated. I spoke to a nice lady at Tomtom & she helped me get it sorted. One thing I do know is that the latest European & American maps won't fit on my 930 internal memory. I first deleted both maps from my device, then I was able to install the Europe map I had downloaded on my laptop onto my TT. I copied the North American map from my PC onto my laptop but home didn't seem to be able to see it. So I deleted it then did it via the LMG update, but this time selected the memory card as the device to install in onto. So now I have the Europe maps on the 930 with about 1.8 gb free & the North American maps on the SD card with about 5.7 gb free.:D:D

Starting to load it up with POI's, voices etc. ready for our trip down to Portugal next month. Find download the POI's from TT home very time consuming, after downloading one you then have to go all the way back through the pages until you get to the next one you want.

BTW thanks for the help & advice.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about only being able to select one poi type at a time using Home. It's a real pain in the rear end and complaints have been filed with TomTom about this.

Hopefully a future version of Home will allow for multiple selection at a time ..... :eek:

Why not have a look at PGPSW for UK based POI files which you can download in batches of 20 at a time and load to the device using Windows Explorer in batches of as many as you like - Remember the current limit is 255 custom POI categories in any single map folder. To find the POI download page click Here - Mike

TomTom 740 Live, warranty replaced yesterday. Map is severely outdated (my 3 year old TomTom 530 had more accurate maps). TT Home states I have the newest map already for my device.

CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=825.2157

Last edited:
Did you try to connect to Home with an email user_id for a previous unit? Create a new email address.....doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper format. Then log in with the new email address.

If you are not offered the LMG, a call to support is necessary: 866-486-6866.

i did try to login and transfer the original account to my new device. however it would not do it so i created a new login. It's with the new login that I attempted to use the map guarantee. I called support, but they require proof of purchase (which is at home). Once I send that in, they'll link the map to my account so it can be downloaded.

740 thinks map 825 is the latest

I added my vote to the list - HOME thinks 825 that came preloaded is the latest. Also, I couldn't connect with the home dock. Finally had to use a USB cable connected to the windshield mount to get it to work.

My "new" Go 730 comes with a Home 2.7 CD. Everything worked.
All the documents inside didn't utter a word about latest map guarantee though.:eek:
My brother in law's XL340S box contained no CD. I installed Home into another computer, use another email ... and the XL340S was also brought to the latest software and map updates.
Giving up on Tomtom for a while because I took on Linux, now I can say that I am impressed with Home, which I used to hate.

Ask a Question