Corrupt files TomTom IQ Routes 340

I was updating GPSFIx and other stuff through Home when it failed. I have read many threads about this, and that one should format the device in WIndows Explorer, and make a restore from the pc.
I don't have a backup, unfortunately. But I am willing to pay for a new map.

Would the steps be
1. Format (not quick) the device through Windows Explorer
2. Buy & download map from Tomtom
3. Copy the files to device

Is that all? Has the device some built-in firmware that sees the mapfiles and then is ready to go?
I mean, there were many files on the device, are all supposed to be included with the map I will buy? Or are some not needed?

I managed to copy the folder Scandinavia (i only had maps for Scandinavia) from the device, but is that all I need? That map and no other files at all - before i format it? Then just copy back the folder to the empty root?

Are you sure you have no map on your device? If you go to Home, Add Voices/Maps and arrow right to the 'items on computer' screen, maps, is there anything listed you can select to install?

If not, I suppose you could go through the process of formatting the unit but not sure why you feel it's necessary.

Anyway, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Next, connect to Home and install the application offered. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Turn the unit off and then on again. Connect to Home.

Add Maps and go through the steps of selecting, purchasing, downloading and installing the purchased map.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

You should be good to go.

The problem is that Windows cannot recognize the device, first it says it has to be scanned or formatted.
Therefor Home is not an option now.

I just discovered that Windows cannot format it either:
Windows was unable to complete the format.

Damn...

Can you try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Also, try a different usb port.

I pressed on\off and got the drumsound, and then lots of parameters on the display.
And now - suddenly the displays seems messed up, white lines all over !?

Windows is still unable to format. This unit seems So bricked

When I go to Properties>Tools for the disk, I get a message:

"The disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted. Would you like to format the disk?"

And if I do so, it ends up with:
"The format did not complete successfully".

Is there any other disktool I could use, to perform a format?

Fixed!! It was a bad\broken usbcable that made the connectionerrors and formatting problems. Used another cable and everything when smooth!

Congrats jme2011 for the successful 'fix' and sharing it with us!!

Ask a Question