TomTom One 140 with corrupted files

Hi. I just bought a One 140, registered with HOME, and tried to download the latest maps and GPSfix. It looks like I've got a couple of corrupted folder/files: ephem and bootloaderversion.
I can't do anything with these files/folder because they are corrupted and the TomTom downloads won't override them. Anyone got any suggestions? I feel like just returning it as I only just got it home a few hours ago.
Thanks.

What makes you think they are corrupted? The bootloader is essentially a text file and the ephem is a folder that should contain 3 files.

When installing the error messages referred to these folder/file. I then tried opening these up and got a message from Windows saying they can't because the file/folder are corrupted and unreadable. I just tried something else now and got an error message referring to Australia/cname.dat. I renamed ephem as I can't delete it and tried installing the software again. A new ephem folder has been added but when I try to open it I again am told by Windows it's corrupted. This really isn't acceptable so think I might just return the unit tomorrow - they better give me a different one.

Any solution?

I have a TomTom One about a year or so. It *always* get ephem folder corrupted, although I do not know how it happens. In theses cases I format the device and restore backup. But it is not always so simple, although I have got success in restoring so far.
Just a couple of months without updating and without corrupted files, today I decided to updated QuickFixGPS and, surprise, can't update... Error: can't create ephem folder.
If I go to File Explorer, I can see the folder is there. But now it is corrupted. If I run chkdsk, I got this kinf of message:
Unrecoverable error in folder \ephem
Any ideas why I get corrupted files? Please, I don't want to keep formatting my device anymore. It's so boring...
If I can't get any solutions, I will have no option but to not recomend TomTom to my friends, although I have already done that :-/

Are you disconnecting your unit PROPERLY from Home after updates, meaning using the Device Disconnect icon on Home's screen?

If not, you may be disconnecting prematurely before all data gets written to the flash drive. That'll corrupt data.

Use Explorer and go:
Start-->Run-->cmd and in the box that opens,
chkdsk X: /f where X: represents the drive that Windows has allocated to your TomTom unit.

After doing so, see if there is a ephem folder on your unit and, if so, delete anything in it. If not, create the folder.

Also, on your computer, go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and delete any sub folders found there.

Upon connecting to Home, you should get a new quickgspfix file. Install but disconnect PROPERLY from Home afterwards.

Ask a Question