TomTom One XL -- Corrupt data files

Hi everyone !,
I have problem with my TomTom One XL Western Europe Edition. I updated it around 3 week ago. Since that it has problems with get GPS signal and it freezes ALL the time. I though it's some software problem and I returned it to new condition. Now when I have to choose voice it freezes and reboot and that over and over again. BTW. I have strange folder which has 54GB of some crap !!!!!!

Are you sure about 54 GB??

There isn't enough space for that!

When you look at your unit's contents using Explorer, what do you see?

Here you are my screen from yesterday evening (UK time, also called GMT). I was a bit confused but I think it might be bad sector on memory ?
anyway screen :)
]
Sorry, but I'm polish and I use Vista with polish GUI ;) Any way you see how that files are big

Today I bought TT Go 730 cause going for trip and need some GPS, but I hope I will be able to repair the One XL cause I have no warranty :/ (It finished 4 weeks ago!!! -.-)

ps. I have those strange signs on all computers :) So that might be memory problem :)

Last edited:
Better but it seems evident you have corrupt data on the unit.

Do you have a map backup? If so, I would reformat the unit, restore the map and dl the application again.

I dont have any backup's, is there any chance to redownload maps again ? Or I will have buy the maps again ? Exactly I dont care buying new maps, I just want to have my TT working :)

I could not see clearly from either screenshot whether the specific map folder seemed to be ok (not corrupt). If you look at it with Explorer and the contents do not seem to be corrupt, try moving it to the computer now and reformatting the unit.

You may need to run a chkdsk /f on the drive first.

I gave u screenshot of phone_database, only that folder is corrupted. I already tried chkdsk /f (googled before). It doesnt work :/ For now I'm coping files from TT to my desktop, how to format it then ? Just by Windows ? and then move my files from desktop to TT ?

Well, it sure seemed as if files in the root of the unit were corrupt by the strange characters listed in the screenshot from what I could tell.

The prime folder you want to try to keep is the map folder. Anything else --- application, voices....can always be downloaded again.

Yes, after copying what you can, highlight the drive in Explorer and right click (I think) and Format... do not choose quick format if given the choice.

Good news!

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

And always be careful to disconnect the unit properly from the computer. In Home, Device-->Disconnect. If not using Home, disconnect using the USB connector in the notification area.

Not saying it's the case here, but often users run into trouble disconnecting prior to the information being completely read into flash memory.

Ask a Question