HELP - New TomTom GO 720 Files Corrupt

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi

Hoping you guys can help. I've just bought my first TomTom, it's a GO 720, ex display model hence the reason it's slightly out of date. I downloaded TomTom home and started updating the 720. Everything was going fine, it was working through about 13 updates.

Unfortunately during this process my PC froze. I've had issues with my PC recently, it freezes for no apparent reason and can't be restarted for 20mins or so. This happened during updating the TomTom, and now it appears to have corrupted a few files on my TomTom.

I tried backing up the TomTom to my PC using Windows Explorer (XP machine) and got an error message stating it couldn't copy a file as it was corrupt or damaged.

Does anyone know if I can get hold of the software files on the TomTom and simply copy and paste them?

Could I get a copy of the corrupt files from another Tom Tom for example, my colleague has just got a 930 for example?

I really don't want to send it back to TomTom as I'm sure the repair cost will make the total cost of the bargain 720 and the repair more than a new 750.

Any advice appreciated.

Alan McLean

The vitally important folder to salvage is the specific map folder. Everything else can be replaced for free. Was one of your updates a new map? If so, it'll be found here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

So, do you have a compressed map folder in that location? Also, do you know what file could not be backed up?

In any event, you want to back up the specific map folder on your unit using Explorer. If you can do that without a problem, format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then, connect your unit to Home and you should be offered an application, accept it. Once that is installed, copy back the map folder. Then use Home to add computer and recorded voices.

And, if you did update the map, then use Home's Add maps/voices icon to install the new map.

DHN

I've went through each folder one at a time, and now made a back up of all the files (using Windows Explorer).

The Western Europe Maps folder seemed to copy over ok.

The corrupt files appear to be:

Folder: Helpme
Files: Index_us (in all sub folders), Index2

Folder: LoquendoTTS (text to speech)
Files: Just about all of them

I have found a recovered file fragments file - data.chk in the parent directory, total size 4.95MB.

I was thinking about doing a disck check. What would you suggest?

And after this is sorted I think I'll get Windows 7 and do a clean install on my home PC to sort the problem with the freezing out !

Thanks again
Alan

Windows thinks anything with a .chk file is a recovered fragment file but TT is linux based and, as such, the extensions used are quite different in use and meaning.

You can download anew computer voices so it isn't an issue whether you format the internal drive, wiping out that folder.

As I said, as long as the specific map folder is safe, you can reformat the internal, restore the map and then download the application and computer voices.

OK, I formatted the unit, copied the western europe maps folder back over to the TomTom and hooked it up to HOME, and let it do the updates. It done that and I was able to get the TomTom back on. Some of it looked a bit different (map colours) but it was functioning.

However, I then tried to add the traffic camera locations for UK, France and Portugal, and that caused it to freeze again. Now it only starts up, and goes to a blue screen with the message GPS signal lost 10secs ago.

I can repeat the exercise, but where is the traffic camera data stored, is that in the Western Europe folder, and if so, is there an old file that should I need to delete before downloading a new copy of the camera locations? I would like the traffic camera data on the unit.

Thanks again.

The safety camera files do go in the Western Europe map folder but if you are really concerned about having a reliable, current, accurate safety camera data set, I'd seriously consider the subscription provided by pocketgpsworld.com. See the information here.

One of our supermods, Mikealder, is UK based and is also a mod on that site. He can provide further info if you need it.

Ask a Question