Connecting TomTom to Computer

It seems I have to have my 720 powered on before connecting the USB to the computer. Otherwise I get this error, Exception: Device disconnect.
Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

It seems I have to have my 720 powered on before connecting the USB to the computer. Otherwise I get this error, Exception: Device disconnect.
Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

No, it isn't the way it is .......

I wonder whether you have removed the device from the computer without closing down properly the usb connector in your notification area. That may be the issue.

Try resetting the device with a paperclip. Turn it on & connect to the dock and start TomTom Home. Now, in TomTom home, choose the menu option-->Device--Disconnect Device. When it says it is ok to disconnect, close TTHome AND double click the usb icon in the notification area. Choose Close and wait for it to do so.

Now shut off the unit.

Now, turn it back on while it is still docked. See if the problem has gone.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions, but I suspected that I wasn't disconnecting the unit properly. I was disconnecting in the notification area, but not at the TomTom home.

When I reset the device, will I lose any of my stored information? I'll back up anyhow to be sure.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions, but I suspected that I wasn't disconnecting the unit properly. I was disconnecting in the notification area, but not at the TomTom home.

When I reset the device, will I lose any of my stored information? I'll back up anyhow to be sure.

No......resetting using the paperclip doesn't lose settings.

It seems when I disconnect the device and it's in the dock, it goes through a reconnect process again, and asks if I want to connect. If I say NO and then power on, I get a USB Error from Windows that it does not recognize the device.

It's no big deal, but it would be nice if I didn't have to disconnect the USB.

It seems when I disconnect the device and it's in the dock, it goes through a reconnect process again, and asks if I want to connect. If I say NO and then power on, I get a USB Error from Windows that it does not recognize the device.

Wait a minute.......

When you say NO, you are already powered on, aren't you? You have to be ...

Sorry, but it's just not clear what precise steps are actually taking place. Not to me, anyway :confused:

It a Windows USB thing...

I have the same problem.
If I power up my 720 while it is docked and connected Windows objects and states that the usb device has a problem, and the 720 does not recognise its docked and connected.

The solution always seems to be to connect the docking station, power up the 720, then dock it while powered up. Windows then can check the device and confirm it is OK before the device beings up the connect to computer screen. When I say yes it does reset, and reconnect, but Windows does not see this and accepts the device has been there all along.

It a Windows USB thing...

I have the same problem.
If I power up my 720 while it is docked and connected Windows objects and states that the usb device has a problem, and the 720 does not recognise its docked and connected.

The solution always seems to be to connect the docking station, power up the 720, then dock it while powered up. Windows then can check the device and confirm it is OK before the device beings up the connect to computer screen. When I say yes it does reset, and reconnect, but Windows does not see this and accepts the device has been there all along.

i got your problem as well. but i met the problem after my tomtom 720 upgraded (it made a mistake my tomtom 720 update to tomtom 920). now it can use it as before, just can't load mp3 etc...

Ask a Question