TomTom not connecting to computer

I got my TomTom ONE 3rd this morning (for Christmas) and hooked everything up. Everything seemed to go just fine until I made one change. I connected my TomTom to my computer to add a voice file, and as I was browsing the folders in Windows Explorer, I noticed that the device name was "INTERNATIONAL". I really don't know what I was thinking, and I changed it to "TomTom". I then started having trouble connecting it to my PC. I plug in the USB cable, it asks me if I want to connect to my computer. I say "yes" and it resets to try, but then just goes right back to asking me if I want to connect to my computer. I have checked my USB cable and it is pluged in. I can see in my system tray where TomTom is trying to connect, but just never does. I did try going into the settings and Reset Factory Defaults. After I did that I was able to connect to my PC (with the device name still TomTom). However, ever since that one time, I havn't been able to connect again. Is there any way I can COMPLETELY reset my TomTom, or some way I can force it to connect to my PC so I can change the name back?

UPDATE: Ok, well, I don't think it's the TomTom that's messed up. My sister got the same one and I just took hers out of the box and tried it and it's doing the same thing. Does anyone know what's going on?

UPDATE2: I downloaded TomTomHome onto my dad's computer (which is running HP's version of XP Home) and using the same cable, and connecting it to the same TomTom I was having trouble with on my PC, it connected every time with no problems. Are there connectivity issues with XP Pro? Is there a place I can download updated drivers so I can connect my TT to my PC?

Final Update: I got a response from TomTom. This is the official response:

Dear Balthazar,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the issues you are having with the XP Pro system. My name is Melinda and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. I will be happy to assist you with this today. I understand how frustrating this can be.

Unfortunately this is a compatibility issue with XP Pro. XP Home works fine but Pro is not compatible. We are working to correct this issue and hope to have it compatible soon. We do apologize for any frustrations this might cause.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Melinda and The TomTom Customer Support Team

Last edited:
I would say that since you were able to get into the device by doing a "reset" once, possibly you could try thast move again and then change that name back to "INTERNATIONAL".

If that 'reset" move did not involve the "reset" button on the bottom of the unit near the USB port, I would try that.

I've had similar problems with sporadic connections. Try a different USB port and see if that helps. You may also want to try a port on the back of the computer (direct MOBO header) instead of one on the front or conected to a hub. If still not a consistent connection, try another cable.

Well, I'm adding my nickel's worth - I'm having a similar problem with my One 3rd Edition.

The TT1 asks if I want to connect to the computer, and when I press YES, it tries then fails and asks again. The Windows New Device wizard starts, and I cancel it. Isn't the TT1 supposed to connect without the Windows New Device wizard?

Tried the reset and factory defaults too. No go.

Anyone who has some insight into this would be helpful. From what I read on the TT web site they're not available for a few days and I suspect will be flooded with emails.

TomTom to PC/ TTH Connections

Well, I'm adding my nickel's worth - I'm having a similar problem with my One 3rd Edition.

The TT1 asks if I want to connect to the computer, and when I press YES, it tries then fails and asks again. The Windows New Device wizard starts, and I cancel it. Isn't the TT1 supposed to connect without the Windows New Device wizard?

Tried the reset and factory defaults too. No go.

Anyone who has some insight into this would be helpful. From what I read on the TT web site they're not available for a few days and I suspect will be flooded with emails.

The Windows New Device wizard is telling you that the PC is trying to recognize the TT (it will report it as a removable disk, usb mass storage device or even as TomTom). If you disturb the process the PC will not "see" the TT. If the PC "sees" the TT but TT Home does not, then you have some system files missing or corrupt. TT tech support is able to supply you with those once your TT.com account is established. PiratePast40 gave very sound advice with using a difference USB port. The ports in the rear tend to be more reliable. Also a tip for TT users. Never use a wireless connection for downloads, as errors and unreliable results are the norm. Some users get away with the wireless connections, but it is wise to be wired up for TT file transfer.

I tried a different USB port (both a card in my PC and my onboard USB) and neither of them worked. So I got my sister's cable, and after a few failed attempts, it worked (on the original USB plug I had used). After about 3 or 4 connections it stopped working just like my previous cable. I have tried it several more times and have gotten sporatic connections. Is this the norm? Or is it just my version of windows (XP Pro)?

I tried a different USB port (both a card in my PC and my onboard USB) and neither of them worked. So I got my sister's cable, and after a few failed attempts, it worked (on the original USB plug I had used). After about 3 or 4 connections it stopped working just like my previous cable. I have tried it several more times and have gotten sporatic connections. Is this the norm? Or is it just my version of windows (XP Pro)?

Your problem is not XP Pro. This is not the norm. Uninstall Tom Tom Home. Reinstall from
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17&Lid=4 , using a wired internet connection. Restart your pc and do a soft reset on your tomtom (use a small metal paperclip inserted into a small hole on the bottom of the unit where it says reset. With the unit on, press down and hold for a least 5 sec. and release-unit will power off) After the pc is restarted, turn on the TT, which should activate TTH. If this does not work call tech support at 866-486-6866 M-F 8:30 AM to 7:00PM, Sat 9:00AM to 6:00 PM. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Your problem is not XP Pro. This is not the norm. Uninstall Tom Tom Home. Reinstall from
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17&Lid=4 , using a wired internet connection. Restart your pc and do a soft reset on your tomtom (use a small metal paperclip inserted into a small hole on the bottom of the unit where it says reset. With the unit on, press down and hold for a least 5 sec. and release-unit will power off) After the pc is restarted, turn on the TT, which should activate TTH. If this does not work call tech support at 866-486-6866 M-F 8:30 AM to 7:00PM, Sat 9:00AM to 6:00 PM. Hope this helps!

I had actually tried all of that before, but I did do it again, and got the same result. I have submitted my problem to TomTom via their website, so hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

I've done all that too and tried it on three different PCs. Finally was able to access the TT1 from a newer HP desktop belonging to my son running XP Home.

The other two PCs are running XP Pro, all updated and otherwise fully functional. BIOS updates are current and chipsets have no problem with any other USB device I've used. What I suspect is the Home application is a poorly written application from some New Dehli code sweatshop and may be incompatible with some motherboard chipsets.

As a long time builder of PCs and support person by trade, if this is the problem, TomTom needs to fix it. Not everyone has the newest PC notebook or desktop PC and with USB so ubiquitous, there's no reason for this.

I've submitted a support request with TomTom and with the current flood of people trying to access the site, I suspect I won't hear from them until next week some time. I do hope they have a fix for this.

I booted up my laptop (which is running XP Home) and downloaded TT Home onto it and I am having no problems connecting to it. I am guessing there is just an issue with XP Pro then. Hopefully TT does have a fix for it, cause I'd much rather use my desktop than have to boot up my laptop every time I want to hook up my TT.

I received a reply from TomTom support today and the answer is the device doesn't work under Windows XP Pro. They said they are working on a solution.

If you're attempting to connect your One 3rd Ed. to XP Pro, it won't work. --- SEE UPDATE \/

That's damn amazing - the most well known and developed OS in the world and their device won't attach to it.

UPDATE 01-12-2008: I downloaded the Home app once again and I am now able to connect to my XP Pro installation. Also connected to the TomTom server, obtained a few updates.

Last edited:
I have the same connectivity problem between my older TomTom One 2nd Edition and XP PRO.

I found the older v1.5 of HOME connects fine, BUT that version does not successfully LOG ON to the tomtom server!

Home version 2.x = no connectivity to TomTom One (XP PRO)
Home version 1.5x = connectivity to TomTom but no logon to the server!

So, no way to update my older application version?

Is there any way to MANUALLY copy the v7.x app to my TomTom (using Home V1.5 which gives me access to the TomTom file system?

Thanks!

OB

These problems have to be computer specific.

I am using a old Dell PIII running XP Pro SP2. and I have only had one problem and that is that my TT v2 would only connect via the usb2 card I had installed on the computer, it refuses to connect via the plain usb port that originally came with the computer.

So it would seem that some people can and some people can not. Typical for computers and frustrating for those of us technically challenged.

These problems have to be computer specific.
So it would seem that some people can and some people can not. Typical for computers and frustrating for those of us technically challenged.

I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself. Most PC users now know that their systems have USB. It's been very good at making it possible for devices to be attached easily, but most users wouldn't have any idea that USB has gone through two versions.

First there was USB 1.1, which would have been on your PIII system. Later came USB 2.0 which was a dramatic improvement in speed and usability. The fact that you were able to get your USB 2.0 card to work at all is a testament to your technical confidence. Many of those add-on cards don't work, because the system simply won't recognize it.

I have less of a problem with a manufacturer who produces a device that's not 1.1 compatible than I do with releasing a product that doesn't work with the dominant operating system. That's just bad from every angle. But, it seems the problem has been fixed, so good for TomTom and let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Ask a Question