charging xxl540tm

My new xxl540tm took 8 hours to fully charge the battery useing my computer. I bought a cheap home charger from e-bay but it did not work and was difficult to connect. I would like to get a home charger that works if it will charge the unit faster. Thanks for any help.

aralkay - Welcome to TT Forums. :wave:

The following is a great little unit:

Amazon.com: TomTom USB Home Charger for TomTom GPS Units: Electronics

The above even includes various adapters for World Travel.

You should probably be aware that you do NOT want to let your unit's battery ever fully discharge. Very hard on the battery; and can damage the unit.

You also should be aware that LI-IO batteries last longer when not FULLY charged... The act of charging heats them up...

So just charge it; and then disconnect it... If you have it in the car - use it an keep it plugged in... but if its a Hot, sunny day; it is almost better for the battery to charge it up; and then to disconnect it from the power....

You might want to take a look here:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University

Mostly - use it. Enjoy it. And try to make the best of an imperfect world and situation...

D.

The 8 hour charge time from your PC is about right, so don't worry about that side of things.

Anything plugged into a USB socket on a PC is only 2allowed" to ask for a maximum of 500mA current.

A car charger or mains voltage charger can deliver around 1.5A (three times as much current) and will therefore charge the battery much quicker.

The 8 hour charge time from your PC is about right, so don't worry about that side of things.
8? - sure is a lot longer than what I experience here. FWIW, assuming a 1200mAh cell, and assuming an 85% efficient power conversion to 3.7V (and it should be better) and some loss to heat by the pack itself during charging, I'd still be really surprised if 500mA couldn't get the job done in 4 hours or less from depletion.

You're probably right, canderson. I wasn't being very scientific....

I just tend to leave it on charge overnight if I'm charging via the PC, hence 8 hours seemed about right.

(Is 'hence' as bad as 'whist', dhn? :D)

Seeing as you are talking charging here can I but in, can you tell me when my TNS410 is plugged into my computer is it also charging, there does not seem to be a way to tell if your unit is charging like a mobile phone, or I have I missed something, In November when I am on a cruise going to use it as a walkabout map, and take the laptop for Internet and charging it

Thanks

It will be chaging while connected to the computer (if the computer is on!), but it will charge quite a bit slower than on the dedicated car charger.

I don't know that model but is there not an LED on or near the power switch that lights up to show it's charging?

Ask a Question