Changes I Would Like To See In The 920

TomTom Model(s)
Ok, So first let me say after a few days of using the 920, it is an amazing piece of technology. I have been using the TT Navigator 6 on my Treo cell phone for a couple of years and the 920 is a very nice upgrade for me.

A couple of things I would like to see implemented in the 920/T:

The TT6 software integrated with whatever contact manager (Outlook, Agendus, etc.) you were using on your computer. When you wanted to navigate to a contact, all you had to do was pick a person's name and you were on your way. Since I'm on the road all day, calling on clients, it would be nice if the 920 could include contacts so I don't have to lookup addresses all of the time.

When the battery is about to die, I would like to have a little more warning than a low battery warning with the unit shutting down within 5 seconds.

LET ME ITERATE! I love this unit, but would love it even more. Does anyone else have suggestions that might be included in a future firmware update?

I briefly had a Magellan and I preferred its Speech Recognition. Rather than when entering an address (while I'm sitting still and not driving), the Magellan will respond while driving with things like Nearby Restaurant, Cuisine, other POI inquiries while driving. You just say "MAGELLAN" and it starts to listen.

I would also like to see the clear route option in the quick menu. I hate going through 4 screens just to clear a route!

The TT6 software integrated with whatever contact manager (Outlook, Agendus, etc.) you were using on your computer. When you wanted to navigate to a contact, all you had to do was pick a person's name and you were on your way. Since I'm on the road all day, calling on clients, it would be nice if the 920 could include contacts so I don't have to lookup addresses all of the time.

I'd be really happy if the TTs could import vCards then you could load contacts from any contact manager be it PC or Mac.

FYI, I've sent in that suggestion.

That did not work on the TT920.

Yes it does. As a matter of fact, i just did it again on my 920.

You have a route you want to clear.

You tap 'navigate to', tap a destination...it does not matter which (though Home is a good, convenient one...as it starts to compute the new route, hit 'cancel'. Simple!

Keystokes are about the same, but yu go down fewer levels in the menu and its easier overall.

RE: Future Firmware Update -->More Accurate ETA

Hello everyone,

The one thing I would love to see on the 920 would be a more reliable ETA. The algorythm would be so easy to update by the TomTom Engineers, but nobody wants to do it. An example would be to drive 700KM at 100KM/hr doesn't take 14hrs. It takes 7hrs or less if you're going above the speed limit of course. If you have all the satellites establishing your speed, they can easily establish a time factor.
Other than that, it is a great piece of technology! :eek:

Take care everyone,
CVV

Cover

Wish someone would come up with a cover that would snap on the face to protect the screen for stowing. Not the screen shields that are out but a snap on cover.

Until I come up with a hard case for the 920, I cut a piece of formica/laminate into the shape of the front and slip both into one of those microfiber eyeglass cases. But your idea of some flexible clips to hold something like that in place is a good one - most folks don't need to protect the entire unit but the larger screen does need pocket protection.

just get a Denali $5 camera case from target.

It is the black foldover flap camera case with a belt-loop and a lanyard. Lightly padded and has a small profile that fits the unit snugly.

I dont see why anyone would want to pay more than this!

I would like to see fm radio on the 920. That way you could listen to the radio without changing inputs. I would also like to see the 920 recognize photo's without having to put them in the photo folder. That way when you take pictures and you put in the sd card, you see them right away. I would like the 920 to be able to play video's also. Am I asking for too much?

Last edited:
Resume on ignition

I have a few...

1) Turn on with ignition. Another poster said that tomtom told them that this is a firmware setting that they intentionally disable.

2) Resume the music player when the unit turns on
2 Update) Nevermind, I found it.. 'Change Preferences' -> 'Start-up preferences' -> Select 'Start TomTom Jukebox'

3) My cell phone has an mp3 player and bluetooth. I normally use a sterio headset that I can't use while driving (can't cover both ears while driving), and I wish the tt would take over and transmit to the car, rather than having to maintin my mp3's in multiple devices. Since it already will talk to my cell phone for calls, it shouldn't be a stretch to play music from it like my $20 headphones do...

4) Also, my phone has voice dialing which I can activate by saying a key word. Since the tomtom doesn't have an option to trigger voice dialing for the cell phone or to send what I'm saying prior to placing a call, I am forced to either go to my phone, or select from the cumbersome address book (both unadvisable to do while driving).

I'm a bit of a picky person, but I must say that overall I love the tomtom and the features it does have. In particular, I love it in comparison to the featureless Garmin 650 which I returned to get the TT920 for only $20 more.

If anyone has a solution to any of my items, let me/us know, but from my searching so far it seems like most of these are confirmed as not supported.

Last edited:
I briefly had a Magellan and I preferred its Speech Recognition. Rather than when entering an address (while I'm sitting still and not driving), the Magellan will respond while driving with things like Nearby Restaurant, Cuisine, other POI inquiries while driving. You just say "MAGELLAN" and it starts to listen.
I agree. I have a 930 and have the same problem with cusines. My Garmin, which I use in the US in my vehicle, has restaurants by cusines but my TomTom 930 does not. Real annoying. I only use mine for international travel and in the US with rental cars

Denali case

just get a Denali $5 camera case from target.

It is the black foldover flap camera case with a belt-loop and a lanyard. Lightly padded and has a small profile that fits the unit snugly.

I dont see why anyone would want to pay more than this!

The Denali works great for the 930/920 but is too small for the One XL-s

Ask a Question