Route changes display

TomTom Model(s)
Start 20
Why is it on my tom tom start 20 that The route is shown vertical with broad roads then suddenly the route is shown horizontal with very narrow roads.
It is most disconcerting.
Please help

I think you mean the display is changing between "3D view" view and 2D view.

I'm not sure from your description which view you prefer, but I think most people prefer it on 3D usaually, and have complained about a recent software change turns the view back to 2D when you clear a route.

You can change the behaviour to stay on 2D view all the time if you want. Go to Settings - 2D/3D Settings - Press 'Done' on the first tip screen and then on the next screen you should find two options including "Switch to 3D view when following a route" - Untick it.

But you can't stop this change back to 2D when a route is cleared.

You can also switch between the 2D and 3D views manually - by tapping the left-hand section of the status bar on the main driving view. Maybe you've been doing that accidentally?

Route displays

Andy
Many thanks for this information. I will try it out next time I use Tom Tom.
I much prefer the vertical display with the broader roads being shown rather than the small horizontal display

Andy
Thanks switched from 2D and 3D but display still insists on showing a horizontal route instead of a vertical route. Any Idea's ???

Sorry, but it's now time for me to admit....I've got no idea what you mean by a "horizontal " route...

On 3D view, you have a fixed car icon at the bottom of the screen and your route always goes up towards the top of the screen (assuming you are currently driving on a straight road)

On 2D view, it depends on your model, you either get the option of "North up" or "Direction up", or on the simpler models you only get "North up".

In 2D "North up" the display looks like the "Browse map" overhead view with the car cursor wiggling around on the road as it goes along. So if you were travelling east-west it would be going horizontally, but if you were going north-south it'd be moving vertically.

Sorry if I'm not grasping what you mean, but the "broad roads/ narrow roads" description has me confused too!

Any chance you could take a photo of the screen that shows what you're seeing and post it here? (Even better you can make screen grabs directly on the TomTom - some instructions HERE ) - but don't worry if that's too much hassle, any old photo will do.

Route displays

Andy
You have been most helpful

What I meant is that most times the route is shown going up and down the screen as it should be, then for some reason that I am unaware of it will change to a horizontal display going left to right across the screen, although I am driving down a straight road and haven't changed direction, but don't bother any more I can live with it.
Many thanks for your help

I'd still love to see some pictures if you can... might be an interesting bug to report back to TT.

So this happens in both 2D and 3D views?

Route displays

Andy
I only use the sat nav very occasionally as most of my journeys are within a 30 mile radius where I have no need for the unit.
However when I use it again i will attempt to get a photgraph either by using my phone or digital camera.

Thanks

If it's any easier, don't forget you can also run 'demos' of a route while sitting at home.

Just create an "Advance planning" route (a.k.a. "plan route") and then as soon as it shows you the route summary, select Options - Show demo.

Ask a Question