Cannot use 2GB sd-card

Hello everybody,
I'm new here ...

I just bought an XL-S, I tested in my town along of 2 days and then I updated my device. Today I decided to install the other 3 voices for TTS.
When I tryed that, he said: "You don't have enough space ..."
OK, I pushed in a brand new OCZ 2GB SD-card and I downloaded & installed that 3 TTS voices. When I unplugged the USB cable and I restarted he asked me to remove SD-card, otherwise he didn't started again.
So, I cannot install a new TTS voice if I 'm not deleted Susan TTS voice.

Could you explain me what I did wrong ?
That SD-card it supposed to be an extension of my internal memory and should leaved me to change a different TTS voice, because it let me to install on SD-card that voices ...
I'm confused ... :confused:

thank you

On all ONE models, the SD card gets to replace your internal memory. IOW, if you want to use the SD card, you need to copy all your internal memory content to the SD card or it won't work. I suggest you use Explorer to do that after making a full backup of your internal memory if you have not done so before.

Only GO (7x0 and 9x0) can have SD cards that will consider both internal and SD memory concurrently.

On all ONE models, the SD card gets to replace your internal memory.

Only GO (7x0 and 9x0) can have SD cards that will consider both internal and SD memory concurrently.

Wow, I didn't know that either. Thanks for that info Gilbert.

Now I'm thinking about taking my ONE XL S back to Wally World, and going some other place to get a 9x0. I have a couple more days to make a decision though, but your reply really has me thinking.

Thank you, GILBERT ...:)

so, I have to copy or to move the entire content of internal memory ?
When he try to boot-up will not be a conflict between that 2 booting source ?
Second question:
- How can I copy all internal memory on SD-card ? ... Because I don't have this option. When I'm trying to do that I think he copy all somewhere in Program Files in computer.
Third question:
- Where is that back-up ? How is look ... like an archived file or many folders ?
Fourth question:
- Its impossible to delete anythng on internal memory ?
I ask that because I installed few more voices (not TTS) on it and now I want to erase them ...

thank you again

so, I have to copy or to move the entire content of internal memory ?

Yes. The SD card is like a blank harddrive. You need to have all the operating system files, map files, and POIs to use it.

When he try to boot-up will not be a conflict between that 2 booting source ?

No. Once the SD-card is in, the device automatically tries to use the SD-card and ignores the internal card

Second question:
- How can I copy all internal memory on SD-card ? ... Because I don't have this option. When I'm trying to do that I think he copy all somewhere in Program Files in computer.

Using windows explorer, your TomTom device looks like any other harddrive on your computer. You can do 1 of 2 things:
1) If you have another SD card reader, place the blank SD car in the reader, plug in your TomTom and use Windows Explorere to copy all the files in the root of your TomTom onto the blank SD card that is in the other reader
2) If you don't have another reader, use Windows explorer to copy all the files of your TomTom's root to a directory you create on your harddrive of your PC. Once they are copied, disconnect your TomTom. Plug your blank SD card into the TomTom and plug the TomTom back into your PC. Copy all the files in the folder you created on your PC's harddrive (fromt he TomTom) on to the Blank SD card that is in your TomTom

Third question:
- Where is that back-up ? How is look ... like an archived file or many folders ?

If you have made a backup using TomTom HOME, it can be found in the following folder:
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\

Fourth question:
- Its impossible to delete anythng on internal memory ?
I ask that because I installed few more voices (not TTS) on it and now I want to erase them ...

You can delete EVERYTHING off the internal memory, thus it is very important that you make backups.

Thank you, BIRDMAN, for your detailed and complete answer ...:)

Anyway, in my opinion, it's stupid to be ignored internal memory once you copy all system files on SD-card so, that space is useless all the time because everybody need to install something more on device ...

Last edited:
Thank you, BIRDMAN, for your detailed and complete answer ...:)

Anyway, in my opinion, it's stupid to be ignored internal memory once you copy all system files on SD-card so, that space is useless all the time because everybody need to install something more on device ...

Totally agree. Soe of the more expensive x20 and x30 series do allow this ability to combine the memory usage.

Ask a Question