Cannot read SD card

Hi all,

I have a TomTom One and have only used it about 20 times, so not used much.
The problem that has developed is that keeps telling me to insert the SD card when the card is already installed. Am I right in thinking this is a hardware problem and not software related? Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated

Your unit will function with no SD card at all. The internal memory contains everything you need.

So what exactly do you have on your card? In order for the unit to function off the card, it must contain the operating system files and a map (just like what's on the internal memory).

You would only want to use the card for a situation where you, say, purchased a map of Europe and you wanted to run it, but leave your original map and setup untouched.

Or the SD card could simply have a top-level "text" folder to hold documents. The OS preforms a mount (/mnt/sdcard) command before most operations, so this is all you need to be able to access them.

A quick way to test for the SD is to add an empty file like, "SD.txt" to the "text" folder on your SD. If the unit can access the SD card, this file will show up under Documents. Although, it sounds as if this test will fail. :confused:

Same is true for the "music" "photos" & "audiobooks" folders.

Ricochet, I only own a One and am not so familiar with the workings of newer models. But I don't believe that the features you mention in your post are available on the One (music, audiobooks...).

All you can do with the card is provide a way to boot up with a different map, ignoring the internal memory altogether.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I have a TomTom One and have only used it about 20 times, so not used much.
The problem that has developed is that keeps telling me to insert the SD card when the card is already installed. Am I right in thinking this is a hardware problem and not software related? Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated

There usually is a hardware sensor which is often a switch that tells if the card is inserted. It could be broken or faulty. If your unit is under warranty, contect suppport. Else you can always open it up and see if there is something that strikes the srutinising eye that can be fixed by yourself. I have often been able to fix broken stuff this way. Sometimes a good magnifying glass with ample light is the key... (Opening your case will void your warranty in most cases.

Good luck!

Ricochet, I only own a One and am not so familiar with the workings of newer models. But I don't believe that the features you mention in your post are available on the One (music, audiobooks...).

All you can do with the card is provide a way to boot up with a different map, ignoring the internal memory altogether.

Cheers.
You're correct. ONE's don't do those, but can still do the Text test.

And yeah, I didn't notice which sub-forum this was posted in, but I was just generalizing, really... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question