Cannot open TomTom on PC

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
When I try to open my TomTom 730 on XP, I am asked to insert a disk. There is no way I can open the contents of the TT. I have updated the TT Home 2.5 software. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. The TomTom is on and appears as Removable disk (J) on my computer.

Any help will be most appreciated

Last edited:
Try a pin reset on your unit for about 5 seconds and try again.

If that doesn't help, try the link here

RE: Cannot open TT on PC

Many thanks for your help. I have not tried the reset button yet. TT Home recognizes my TT 730 fine. I wanted to add Altimeter but cannot open the files on the unit. For some reason TT appears as two separate entries in the hardware profile on my pc. When I click on J: it asks me to inset a disk. TT Home shows I have drive L: which I cannot access. I'll try the reset button and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Windows recognizes the Tomtom as two drives - one for the unit's internal memory and one for the SD card. If you don't have an SD card installed, you get the 'insert disk' message from Windows.

Thanks for your reply. "My Computer" recognizes the SD disk but not the internal TT drive. TT Home recognizes both the SD disk and internal TT drive, but I want to add TripMaster but cannot access TT to add the files.
I tried a reset and nothing changed.

I have discovered this is a pc not a TT problem. I tried to open the TT on another pc and it worked fine. There is something on my pc that is preventing the opening of the TT. I do not get an XP message that a USB device has been added, but TT Home can operate the unit for updates, etc.

Have you checked the Device Management option under System Tools (I think) for any info regarding the problematic pc?

Also, can you try a different usb port on that pc (preferably, one in the back of the pc) and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help. In XP's hardware device info, TT appears as two entries. Both removable storage devices are reported as working ok. When I turn the TT 730 on and try to open its internal files, (not via TT Home) it asks me to insert a disk. If I add an SD disk, the pc reads that ok but not the internal drive which appears as L: according to Safely Remove Hardware info.
BTW, have you had any success installing 3rd party software such as Tripmaster, Event Logger or Altimeter. My brother-in-law has a Navigon 2100 Max which displays the elevation. He found that useful driving through the mountains.

I think somebody else made this suggestion too, but check the Disk Management applet under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. I've found that USB devices like flash drives and the Tomtom are sometimes mapped with the same drive letter as another device, particularly if you have network drives mapped. In this case it will show up in Disk Management. You can then right-click it and assign a drive letter that you know is unused. From that point on, it should display correctly. I don't know if this is your problem but your symptoms sound suspiciously like a drive letter assignment problem.

Many thanks. XP recognizes the storage device in disk management but this drive does not show in My Computer. I also do not get the typical USB message that a new device has been added to the system when I plug the TT cradle in. The Safely Remove Hardware icon does show the L: drive of the TT. My pc appears to have a communication issue.

Again, did you try a different usb port on the pc?

Also, what happens (if you're willing) to remove the usb hub completely in device manager, reboot the pc and let Windows recreate the usb hub.

I've tried every hub on the pc. I do not receive any message when any usb device is inserted but memory sticks, SD disks are read fine and are listed in My Computer. There is a notification bubble when it's safe to remove the device. The TT cradle appears as J: but shows no internal drive. I'm not quite sure how to remove the USB hubs as there are many listed in the Device Manager. I'm wondering if it may be a registry issue?

Since the internal drive shows up in Disk Management, did you try changing the drive letter to see if it would come up in My Computer?

In addition to the pin rst, have you tried to use clear-flash. It would be interesting to see if that tool recognizes and clears the TomTom memory.

Very odd that your Home installation shows you both the internal and SD card as "devices", but Windows explorer does notl et you access the internal memory. Since you seem to always see the SD card in Explorer when you connect it, I do not think you have a USB problem.

It is possible what when you first plugged it in, it installed the internal memory as another device with some error. You might see if you can find the device in Device manager. If so, open properties and see if you can uninstall it, and then let device manager scan for new devices and see if it reinstall it OK.

Ask a Question