Battery on/off question

Just opened my wifes birthday present today (Go 720). And as it sits the unit will not power on unless it is connected to a power source. The batter is fully charged ( I let it charge for 7 hours and checked the battery indicator ). If I have it docked and plugged in to a PC or even plugged into the USB outlet in my wifes car it will power up but as if it were connected to a PC of course. Once I disconnect the cord, the unit powers off.
Is this normal? My understanding from what I have read and common sense says that the 720 has a battery so it should turn on if charged.
I would like to plug the unit into the ciggie socket but of course the charger works, it just wont charge the unit. Go figure. And yes this is a new unit.

Sounds like a duff battery, the device should remain powered on with no cables connected to the TomTom for around 2 hours with a fully charged battery - if its powering down straigh away get it returned for one that works correctly - Mike

My sister had the exact same problem. Hold-down the power button at the same time you push the pin-reset under the unit, then wait 30 seconds and hold the power button again and voll?!

What I could figure was it had something to do with the TT being removed from the docking station without doing the "safely disconnect your USB device" thingy or caused by leaving the TT battery goes dead on it's own while the unit sit on a shelf. These TT won't shut-off, they only go in some kind of "sleep mode" from what I can see.

Is your TT a demo unit? A refurbished? A customer return? A unit the store had in stock since a few months? That would explain.

There's also an option to "power-off" when external power is cut. Does the unit only turn-off when you unplug the power or it simply won't power-up if not plugged-in?

If it doesn't power-up at all unless plugged-in, I'd go with the reset thing. If it powers-on while unplugged but goes off after it's plugged-unplugged, the "power" option is likely the problem.

Last edited:

Ask a Question