Battery flat within a few days after switchoff.

My One XL's battery flattens within the first few days after switchoff (whereas the battery of my digital camera is still OK after weeks of inactivity).

Why does the TomTom's battery go flat after such a short time?

Is there a fix?

When the TomTom is switched off you are only really sending it to sleep certain other functions are still running which consume battery power, if its only lasting a couple of days though it sounds like the battery is on its way out - Mike

I'm pretty sure the One XL has a reset on the bottom of the unit. To bypass the 'sleep' mode, do a reset after you turn it off. This really turns off the unit so no battery will drain. I do this all the time on my unit.

When you turn it on, the clock won't read the correct time, but once your unit gets 3 or more satellite fixes, the clock will automatically update.

Hope this helps.

I take it if you use the reset button after you turn it off, it wont delte or reset your entire unit back to facotry settings?

I take it if you use the reset button after you turn it off, it wont delte or reset your entire unit back to facotry settings?

nope. doesn't hurt anything. It's just like rebooting your computer.

I've never reset mine after turning the unit off, I just push the pin reset while the tomtom is running. It then shuts down totally and results in no drain on the battery. I've left mine in this mode for over a month with no battery loss whereas a regular shutdown sees the battery dead in about a week.

flyer is right. You can just press the 'reset' rather than turning it off first and then pressing reset.

BUT... I noticed on mine (TT 3rd edition) that when I do that, I lose the very last destination in the 'recent destination' list. And yes... I did end route before doing the reset. Not a big deal, just something that you might notice.

I started using the reset about 4 or 5 months ago because I don't take a lot of trips of late. This way I can set it on the shelf and not worry about it losing its charge.

Ask a Question