720 Turns itself on and flattens the battery.

TomTom Model(s)
I thought I had a battery problem, but found that, when left for several days unused, the TomTom turns itself on, and so flattens the battery, so when next used, the battery is dead.

I make sure that any route is cleared, but don't understand why it should turn itself on.

also, if I input a road speed limit which is missing on the map, i.e. 50mph, when travelling that road it displays 51mph. If I set it to 49 mph, it displays 49mph?

Any suggestions or resolves!

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF. What is the application you have on your unit? Both issues you report were in an earlier application but the 'current' (over 18 months old :eek: ) seems to have resolved them.

Also, do you have the current (860) map for your unit?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have a TomTom Go 720 - M61457A00810
Application version 8.351
Europe Western Zone Maps 860.3101

I also have a 2gb SD card with Western & Central Europe Truck 815.2112, which i use when in my large motorhome.

Hope this is the info you need.

Is it on the truck map you don't see the accurate speed or the internal 860 map or both?

I think it was on the internal map, and some while back! I have not tried it more recently, as it was inaccurate.

My main concern however, it the unit turning itself on and flattening the battery between uses.

I now have to remember to put it on permanent charge, but it does not matter whether it is on charge or off charge, it still turns itself on. Leaving it on charge at least ensures it is usable when required.

My main car has built in satnav, so the TomTom is not in daily use.

Sure fire way to switch it off and make sure it can't switch back on is to give the reset switch in the base a quick prod with a stylus/ pin etc. You won't lose data or any settings but doing this stops the processor, with nothing going on it won't mysteriously wake up until you press the power button - Mike

I presume this is done AFTER turning the unit off!

Is there no other resolve to this problem?

Re the incorrect speed limit showing, I have just done demo routes, both with the SD card in, and removed. It is only showing the incorrect speed limit with the SD card in, so it is the Truck map tat is causing the problem. I will try and get an upgrade on this!

Last edited:
Hey_look_below.gif

Sure fire way to switch it off and make sure it can't switch back on is to give the reset switch in the base a quick prod with a stylus/ pin etc. You won't lose data or any settings but doing this stops the processor, with nothing going on it won't mysteriously wake up until you press the power button - Mike
You're lucky that you have a reset sw in the bottom of your unit. A lot of the newer models do not. On my TT 3rd edition I got in the habit of doing this every time I turned it off. I have a half-opened paper clip hanging on the case for pushing the reset sw. This not only keeps the unit from turning on, but keeps the unit from using ANY power at all (some power is used to run the internal clock). When you turn it on, the clock will show 12:00, but once the unit finds satellites, the clock will automatically correct the time. I've turned off my old 3rd edition... reset it... didn't use it for 3 months. When I turned it on it showed fully charged! I'm still on the original batter after 3 years too :)

I wish my XL-335TM had the reset sw in the bottom.
:(

Rick, supposedly for models without a dedicated reset switch, hold the power button till it not only reboots but then shows the diagnostic screen (white text on black screen).

Let go. Tap the power button quickly to shut it off. Supposedly this truly does power down that unit.

Thank you all for your replies!

Although it does not actually resolve the issue, at least I now know how to stop it turning on.

One last question, the SD Card - what is the limit on card size, and will an SDHC card work. I fear the later TRUCK version software may be over 2gb, and if so an upgrade may not be possible on the 720, if a 2gb standard SD card is the largest capacity it will accept.

Last edited:
32GB is the largest card you can put in the 720, disregard what it says on the TomTom web site about 2GB as thats rubbish and long since out of date, I use a 16GB class 6 in mine.
Make sure you get a decent speed card (the higher the class number the better), class 6 is fine, class 8 is OK but class 10 is akin to feeding a pig on a diet of strawberries - Mike

Ask a Question