Backup/Restore Problem

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Because of the limited space on the supplied 1 GB SD card, I asked TomTom about the possibility of using a 2 GB card. Their reply:
You may use as many SD cards as you'd like for different maps, the important thing is to install the application in them, the link for it will be provided below (you may purchase any SD card, it doesn't have to bee a TomTom card). The instuctions in the following link address a problem that is generated when the card doesn't have the program installed:

http://www.tomtom.com/2053
Ok, so I ran the backup utility to backup my current 1 GB card.

Then I removed it, and installed the new 2 GB card. I got the red X on the display screen as indicated in the information at the above link. I tried to follow the instructions detailed in the link, but the screen I get when running the CD is nothing like what they say I should see.

I launched the HOME application, and tried to run the restore.. nothing happens.. it just sits there with a progress bar that is not progressing.

I also tried reinstalling the application via the HOME application.. it seemed to install (about 9 MB). Then tried the restore again.. same thing. However, now the unit powers up without the red X, so I presume the application is correctly installed.

Couple of odd things.. with the new 2 GB SD card, HOME seems to think my device is a 710 instead of a 510. Secondly, when I attempt to launch the restore, I get a message:
You are about to restore a back to a TomTom device. However, the backup you want to restore seesm to be a backup of a different TomTom device. You may be about to restore the wrong backup. (Note: if you have recently formatted your card or disk, this message can be ignored). Are you sure you want to restore this backup to the connected TomTom device?
So, I reply yes, but nothing happens. I suspect part of the problem might be that it thinks this is a 710 instead of 510 device, but I have no idea how to make it recognize my device as a 510

There is a post on how to load a 2GB card.... no need to call TomTom support for this.... if you just do a little searching you'll see that all the info is already posted.

Actually... not even a search! It's a sticky right on TOP of the ONE forum!!
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=868

Thanks. I got it working on my own.. Just copied all the files from the old 1GB SD onto the new 2GB SD.. seems to be working just fine.

However, not too pleased with the Restore not working.. in my mind, I should not have had to do any messing around.. restore should have just copied everything, including the app, back onto the SD. Maybe it was because the target SD was not the same size are the original backed up?

We all think the app should go too during a restore... but I think TomTom made it that way so as not to make a bunch of restores and try to sell them or something... you can do a restore AFTER you install the app.

True...it's not a real 'restore' but I think TT's version of backup/restore is data files only. (not to include the 910's Text-To-Speech data files however)

We all think the app should go too during a restore... but I think TomTom made it that way so as not to make a bunch of restores and try to sell them or something... you can do a restore AFTER you install the app.

Well, that was not the case.. I did install the app.. it even got the latest update from the net.. but the restore would not work.. just hung. Like I said, I think it may have had something to do with the fact that it thought my device was a 710.. that's what was indicated in the lower left of the HOME screen. I reformatted the SD and reloaded the app several times.. each time it was the same: the restore process just hung.

Antivirus software?

Are you up and running and just telling us the restore doesn't work for you, or are you still having a problem?

If you are trying to run a restore from a backup used with a prior version of HOME, I think we discovered in another thread somewhere that this is definately an issue. All backups run with a previous version of HOME won't restore with a newer version of HOME.

Ask a Question