Restore 540M from Windows Explorer backup

HI,
I was wondering if anyone has the experience for failing in restoring system from a backup made via Windows Explorer?

I assume the GPS works fine before updating the map and if we do Windows Explore backup, we can always copy the original files to the GPS drive without even turning the GPS on. If that's the case, does that mean at worst case I will always be able to get back to the original out of the factory setting if my map update fails?

Why am I seeing so many posts to RMA?

Thanks.

HI,
I was wondering if anyone has the experience for failing in restoring system from a backup made via Windows Explorer?

I assume the GPS works fine before updating the map and if we do Windows Explore backup, we can always copy the original files to the GPS drive without even turning the GPS on. If that's the case, does that mean at worst case I will always be able to get back to the original out of the factory setting if my map update fails?
Providing you copy ALL files (there's some details on how to assure that happens in the "Sticky" post that explains it), then yes, you can recover. In fact, providing you have a set of functional maps somewhere (on your PC or on your unit), you can recover from about anything except bad hardware or a bad firmware load from the start.

Why am I seeing so many posts to RMA?
First, understand that when people come here, it's very often because they're already in a ditch with their unit. The posts you see here are therefore not necessarily representative of what happens to the population as a whole.

That said, there have been some issues with stock of one model that was shipped (often via Amazon during Black Friday sales) where the firmware loaded by TT was bad from the start. Restoring that isn't going to do the owner any good.

On the whole, I think you'll see that the ratio of units fixed to those RMAd is pretty good here.

Ask a Question