Backup/restore glitches?

Hi. Just received my One yesterday and did a backup using the newest version of 'Home'. I then installed the updates (Tomtom app, gpsfix, phone contacts...or something like that). Then I decided to make sure I was able to restore the original backup I made. I clicked on restore, the 'restoring' box came up for a few seconds, then another box popped up that said something like 'checking items installed on Tomtom One', then the boxes would disappear and nothing would be done. I would think that the Tomtom app...at the least...should've been replaced since it was a newer version. I then deleted the Tomtom app and maps from the ONE, then tried the 'restore' feature, and it worked. Is this normal??

flamanar

hey flamanar,

I think what you are trying to tell us is that you tried to restore to the
old version, expecting it to overwrite on the newer version of the apps and
all the downloads.
I know for fact when using HOME, if you are trying to place older version
of anything, such as apps, it will ask you that you already have a newer
version and if you are sure to overwrite it in a pop-up window.
So I am guessing that HOME will check the version of your maps and apps
to see which one is more update. If what you have is more update,
I don't think it will automatically restore, overwriting the files.

hey flamanar,

I think what you are trying to tell us is that you tried to restore to the
old version, expecting it to overwrite on the newer version of the apps and
all the downloads.
I know for fact when using HOME, if you are trying to place older version
of anything, such as apps, it will ask you that you already have a newer
version and if you are sure to overwrite it in a pop-up window.
So I am guessing that HOME will check the version of your maps and apps
to see which one is more update. If what you have is more update,
I don't think it will automatically restore, overwriting the files.

Really? I haven't done a restore so I don't know the process but thats good to know.

Sounds like the first time a restore took place it was asking where the retore files were.... it doesn't always know by default the 1st time for some reason. A restore will over write anything, regardless of version type. once you select restore and you say "yes" you really want to do it, it just goes and does it. It won't check anything, it simply restores whatever files are int he repository back to the Device.

It looks like 'givingmybest' is correct. After 2 calls to TOMTOM support, I've confirmed that if Home sees a newer version of an app already on the ONE while trying to restore, it won't replace it with the original (older) version...it will leave the newer version of the app on the ONE. The only way to restore an older version is to first delete the newer version from the ONE, then restore.

flamanar

well thanks for the update! i could have sworn I restored everything including the app to older version before. but than, that might have been HOME 1.03 too...

Ask a Question