Application 8.301 Update - can not operate my go

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule here, but when I docked my TTGO720 tonight (for the first time since last week), I was expecting TTH to offer me to download the Navcore 8.301. But it didn't. The only updates that it offered me was a mapshare update and QuickGPSFix update.

Perhaps it's because I'm running Navcore 8.320 with the v700 LoquendoTTS voices (to address the stuttering issue with 8.300) that it didn't offer me to upgrade?

Curious.

Suspect because 8.32 is a higher number than 8.301.....TT would 'see' 8.301 as being a downgrade, not an upgrade.

customer support

talking to customer support about the operate my go problem - I was told a fix should be out early this week for that - of course we all know how well TomTom does repairing their mistakes.

Has anyone who did update to 8.301 notice if the ALG and IQRoutes are still there?

For what it's worth, my 720 doesn't have the stuttering problem, at least not that I've noticed.

If you are in IT, I presume you knew enough to have a full backup PRIOR to upgrading to 8.301. Assuming you did, just delete the current firmware and restore 8.300.

It would be nice if TT realized that every firmware upgrade REQUIRES a new .dll to operate the emulator; sadly, that is beyond them .. :(

I think it would be nicer if TT realised that by simple improvements they probably don't need to update it for every firmware change but that is another issue...

I do have a few full backups (something which tomtom home doesn't allow), however none from just before the firmware update. I would like to argue that tomtom home should at least have prompted me to do an backup, once it had started it appeared to me I'd either have to cancel or continue, as I was nearing my bandwidth limit I pressed ahead...

I will be more careful next time as I now know how bad TomTom are, I suppose I trusted them too much.

I updated my 930 to to 8.301 and seem to have no issues with OMG so far (other than it resets my quick menu every time I try - but that particular "feature" predates the 8.301).

However I am a bit curious after reading this discussion - why do people find OMG so useful? While it's kind of cute, I find it of no particular use - what am I missing here?

Thanks.

-HH

Omg

OMG seems to be the emulator link. therefore, if the emulator link is broken, one can't download, for instance, google maps locations to the GO.

The path is google maps to the emulator, emulator to the device.

So, it's actually crucial that OMG works (if you want to use the various
map features, such as sending to your device), which, I, for one, certainly
do want to use!

Tech support says the problem ls in the emulator, and that, as previously
mentioned, an updated home is coming. They actually said it was already
supposed to be out now, but it got held back for a few days....

I am a bit curious after reading this discussion - why do people find OMG so useful? While it's kind of cute, I find it of no particular use - what am I missing here?

If you want to test or do anything you have to go through lengthy disconnect/connect cycles. It is a "feature" that you can't do anything on the device while its docked. I'd be happy to use my fingers but TomTom won't even let me do that!

Good news is that it looks like the operate my go fix was just released this morning because I got a download when I connected and it works now on my 730 :).

TOMTOM rarely announces updates on their website. Start TOMTOM Home, connect your device to your computer then choose "Update My Go". Install the updates.

The stuttering problem is not fixed but it doesn't seem as bad as it did with the 8.3 update.

I updated my 930 to to 8.301 and seem to have no issues with OMG so far (other than it resets my quick menu every time I try - but that particular "feature" predates the 8.301).

However I am a bit curious after reading this discussion - why do people find OMG so useful? While it's kind of cute, I find it of no particular use - what am I missing here?

Thanks.

-HH
As just one example ... Many people don't have the savvy to build an itn (itinerary) file from a secondary source with their own custom software and copy it over to their TomTom unit. For those folks, using the keyboard on a PC is a LOT easier than fiddling around with the touch screen on the TomTom itself for building a long itinerary from POIs - especially on the units that are a little schizophrenic in that area to begin with (as was the refurb they sent me as a replacement for my 1st unit under warranty). Before I started making my own itn files, I used OMG to set up geocaching run itineraries of 30 to 40 waypoints. When doing so, I had to do the "find" thing and key in each waypoint code to locate each POI being added.

Good news is that it looks like the operate my go fix was just released this morning because I got a download when I connected and it works now on my 730 :).

What was the download - 8.301, and what application version did you have before the update? I am wondering if it is a "fixed' 8.301, as I have not installed it yet because of the effect on "Operate My Go".

I just updated my application file on my 720 (version 8.301). Now I can not "operate my go" through Tom Tom HOME. I'm getting a "This function is not supported for your navigation device or operating system".

I am seeing the same problem after updating to 8.301 on my GO 730. I called Support and they admitted to a problem but I would have to wait for them to correct their screw-up with another update.

I tried to resotore my device from my backup of a couple of days ago, but started getting an error message attempting that function too.

BJ

Ask a Question