After Update, Home is broken

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S
I connected my TT through Home and the application update happened (silly me?). Now if I try to connect to get the latest GPSFix Home tells me I have an incorrect version of the application.

So I seem at an impasse. I tried to restore, but it tells me that I do not have a memory card installed that was there when I did the backup :(

Is anyone aware that the "Home" issue is being addressed? I had seen that the update had been withdrawn, but it seemed to happen automagically for me.

I can just revert to the version on the built-in memory and work up from there, but should I also just be able to write the last backup over to the memory card (just using the PC to write directly)?

Should I just wait a few days?

I have logged an issue with support, but for some reason they appear to be busier than normal, and I am heading off on a trip on Monday. Despite Home not working, is anyone aware of any problems with navigation itself?

Home broken, but that is not all

I am having EXACTLY the same problem. I also thought I could just restore back to the older but better version, but HOME also tells me I do not have my 2GB SD card.

Plus, my XLS no longer asks if I want to connect to my computer. Finally, when I try to operate my XLS from my computer, HOME has to download a file every time.

I called TomTom tech support, and (after 45 minutes on hold) was told this last issue is now normal with the new 8.010, because HOME does not recognize the V8.010. Some enhancement!

When I asked when this might be resolved, the tech support guy said that is not something that he would know (i.e., "not my job").

So, here's a question for all. Can I format my 2GB SD card and do a clean restore from my computer... without the V8.010.

well Djarboe I am going to wait for a while. I can pull the 2GB card out, and get the GPS Fix files down to memory, then copy them to the card! Meanwhile maybe they can sort it out.

So, how does one get the latest GPS fix files and load them into the SD memory card. I just noticed that my XLS cannot find any satellites...

I am speculating!

It looks as though the GPS Fix affects the contents of ephem folder. So I would remove the card. Do another backup (saving any others in case they are useful later). Try an update (declining the applicatkion update), save the ephem folder to the PC disc, then write it to the SD card folder.

Please note I have not done this yet, I am going to wait until I get home at the end of the week!

I just got back from a trip and there was a note from TomTom support confirming that there was a problem with Home and asking for a screen shot of the error message that I got. However, before replying I checked Home again and now the problem has gone away.

I don't know if Home was updated on the PC while I was away, but all seems fine now and I still have 8.010 and Home is 2.3.1.92.

A new backup and a restore worked too!

I'm still a little confused about all this gpsfix stuff. My TT One New Edition has no problem with getting the file. My new TT One XLS doesn't get it, and also has no option in Home menus to get it. There is also not an Ephem folder on the TT One XLS. The help file on Home states that some devices do not have or use the QuickGPSfix stuff.

Can anyone clarify this mess?

Thanks.

TT downloads a gpsfix at least once a week, installing it on your TT and saving it on your PC. On occassion the files in the Ephem folder on my SD card get messed up, a)slow to lock on the satellites or b)HOME does not download gpsfix updates.
I correct it by a)copy file content from PC to Ephem folder on SD card or b)delete the Ephem folder on the card. HOME will create a new folder and down load new update.
NOTE: I use external antenna and takes approimately 3-5 seconds to lock on to 8-9 satellites.

Irvinf

Irvinf,

Thanks for the kind response. Unfortunately, something is amiss on my XL-S. I have basically the same versions of everything as what you describe with the exception of a 2 GB SD card. I have no Ephem folder. It wasn't on the original memory loaded OS. And, so far, it doesn't give me one when I connect.

A few things that might be influencing this:

I just set my Home position this morning on the TT. I have only just turned this on for the first time this week, so maybe the next new file will trigger a download. I have no options in TT Home to download the QuickGPSFix files.

When I start up outside in a clear sky, I get the message that no satellites are found or GPS signal was lost such-and-such time ago. I can go to the satellite configuration screen and see 5-6 found. I then say I'm done and things seem to be working.

Maybe things will get better with time.

Thanks

I read the explanation, and I now know more about the quick fix files, but there's nothing that explains why I don't have them, and why Home won't download them, or even provide a way to download them.

I went to TT's web support site, thinking that I would submit the question there, but found a link to one of their solutions that should have solved the problem. Now, there's a chicken/egg/chicken type answer. They say if I don't have an "ephem" folder, to create it and I should start getting the files. If I do have it, delete it because it's probably corrupt or too old and Home will recreate it the next time. So why do I need to create it if Home will create it.

Anyway, I'll see what happens now that I have created it. I still may submit this to TT, but I only seem to get non-human replies from them.

Thanks and I hope I'm not considered a thread-stealer. If so, I'll move to a new thread.

I started getting GPSfixes manually without using HOME.

See this link:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=62873#post62873

Depending on which chip set you have, will depend on which fix you need (no pun intended). :rolleyes:

See my post nr. 9 for what works for me. I download the cab files to my desktop, then copy just the "Packedephemeris.ee" file to my 'Ephem' folder. The date of the file is weird, but it works just fine... finding satellites in about 15 seconds. I plan on using this way to get GPS fixes when away from my computer but having access to another computer.

Hope this helps.

BTW, dhn's link above is one of the best explanations I've read on GPS fixes.

Last edited:
Rick F.,

I had read that before during my research of the problem. Where do I get the devicecodes for the different devices?

To find your device code:
  • Tap the time area
  • Tap version number
  • You should see the device code listed on the top of the next screen.

Thanks again, Rick F.

My device code shows two 5 character words. Does this sound right? Do I replace the xxxxxxx with "ab1cd efghi" or what? In other words, what is the proper way to put the two words in the URL?

I tried the download with two different versions of the URL, one with 'global' parm and one with the Sirfstar parm. I got something with both so I'll try using the one with global as a parm and see what happens.

BTW, I have a One XL S that is giving me the fits. My One New Edition has not been updated to 8.010 yet, but that might be tonight.

Yes, that looks like the right number for the device code.

BTW, I would blank out that number. No sense showing the world your device code. It's like a serial number.

Since I needed the "Packedephemeris.ee" file, the link that worked for me, was this link:

http://home.tomtom.com/download/Eph...s&eeProvider=SiRFStarIII&devicecode=2

... This link doesn't need the device code. But Gilbert in that other thread (in post #10) said he has an XL and needs the 'lto/dat' file. So this link should work for you.

http://home.tomtom.com/download/Eph...vider=globalLocate&devicecode=xxxxxxxxx"

Just highlight / copy / paste your device code over all those Xs in the link above. Then after it's downloaded, open the cabinet folder a copy and paste the 'lto.dat' file into your emphem folder.

I just tried the link above and it worked without a device code. Not sure why.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.,

I just tried the second link with my real device code and got the lto.dat file. I now have both files in there. Not sure which one is the proper ones. The device code I used before was just an example, not the real one.

Start up seems to go a little faster, but maybe it's my imagination. TT Home did not download any QuickGPSFix files, but I should have the latest ones, so I'll have to watch for them in a week or two.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

When I asked when this might be resolved, the tech support guy said that is not something that he would know (i.e., "not my job").

What the tech support guy meant, djarboe, was that essentially, he finds out about updates and fixes that have been released the same time you do. The office that puts out the updates is in a different state, and the tech support office is not given specific dates on when new software is released. They're barely even given a date on product releases.

Part of the reason for this is because they don't want people to be informed that they're releasing the fix on a certain date, only to have it delayed. Another reason is most of the time, they don't like to admit there's a problem at all and admitting that they're releasing a fix means there's something wrong. :]

Ask a Question