$9 RDS-TMC traffic receiver and subscription

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 130 S
I just found out that the old style RDS-TMC receiver (the ones with a mini-phone style plug) will work with the *20 and *30 devices. $9 on the internet, and you get a free one year subscription. (If everybody else already knew this, I apologize. But it saved me $60 so I'm excited!)

So, I had a USB RDS-TMC receiver and the 1 year free subscription expired. $59.99 to renew it through TomTom Home.

Well, I'm addicted to Traffic info now. So I'm about to bite the bullet and re-up, when my 630 and the RDS-TMC get stolen. Bought a refurb 630 and switched my map subscription over to it. Went looking for a replacement receiver and couldn't find one for less than $75.

But I kept seeing the old style receivers for $9 to $15. Would they work? Seemed like a reasonable assumption to me, since my 630 has the socket for it, but lots of googling the Internet and searching this forum wouldn't turn up any confirmation. So I took the plunge and bought one for $9 from a web site. Plugged it in... and I have traffic! Didn't even have to activate anything through TomTom Home. It just worked.

Since I was in shopping mode, I also bought a used 930 remote control. Seems silly when the touch screen is right there in front of me, but it is SO MUCH BETTER than the touch screen for doing simple things while I'm driving. My favorite is to change the zoom level on the traffic map, which was next to impossible using the touch screen to try to move the little slider bar.

So I'm one happy camper!

You'll be pleasantly surprised, most of those old receivers are actually lifetime traffic.

I wasn't using Tomtoms at the time, so I don't know the specifics, but I believe the original round-plug receivers used to be lifetime, and I think you had to pay for weather ??

For me, I never liked the dual cords, they get messy and tiresome after a while. I'd rather pay the $60 for the bluetooth phone option (if you have an older compatible phone).

If I remember, the antenna had a lifetime subscription in Europe (well, UK) only when it was sold.

For NA, it was one year and then renewal was $60/yr.

If I remember, the antenna had a lifetime subscription in Europe (well, UK) only when it was sold.

For NA, it was one year and then renewal was $60/yr.
Wan't Radio Shack selling some model with the RDS cable included that was lifetime?

@bednorem --

I am also running out on my subscription soon. Just where did you find the traffic receiver for $9 and is it the US or EU version? How much did you pay for the remote control? From the same site?

You'll be pleasantly surprised, most of those old receivers are actually lifetime traffic.

I wasn't using Tomtoms at the time, so I don't know the specifics, but I believe the original round-plug receivers used to be lifetime, and I think you had to pay for weather ??

For me, I never liked the dual cords, they get messy and tiresome after a while. I'd rather pay the $60 for the bluetooth phone option (if you have an older compatible phone).

I agree about the second cord. It happens to work for me, because I keep my TomTom on a bean bag mount and I tuck the whole assembly under my seat when I leave the car. I just wound the antenna around the mount. Reception in my car in Houston is so good that I don't need to attach it to the windshield.

RDS traffic is nice, but $60/yr is crazy.

Does anyone know how to know before hand if a receiver has lifetime traffic? That would be pretty sweet.

I got the mini-plug type receiver for my go630 last year from some ebay seller.
It only had a 1yr subscription, but heck, I'd rather buy a bunch of receivers at $9 a pop than pay $60 for one year of renewal! That price is just insane, considering that the retail price difference for a Tomtom with lifetime service isn't even that much!

Last edited:
so I just received my RDS-TMC from zkarlo but there are no instructions on activating the traffic or codes or anything. Does anyone know how to activate the free 1 year sub?

Just plug it in, nothing else to do. Apparently, a time stamp gets permanently set internally at first use. You'll get subscription messages when a year is about up.

In the root of your GPS there is a folder "rdstmc" with a file "subscription.bif". Open the file with any text editor and there is a single line with something similar to this "RDSTMCExpirationDate=2356875071LastConnectedDate=1273427199". The numbers are Unix timestamps which you can decode at Online Conversion - Unix time conversion , Just enter the ten digits in the first box and submit. My expiration date is Wed, 07 Sep 2044 15:31:11 GMT and last connect date is Sun, 09 May 2010 17:46:39 GMT

In the root of your GPS there is a folder "rdstmc" with a file "subscription.bif". Open the file with any text editor and there is a single line with something similar to this "RDSTMCExpirationDate=2356875071LastConnectedDate=1273427199". The numbers are Unix timestamps which you can decode at Online Conversion - Unix time conversion , Just enter the ten digits in the first box and submit. My expiration date is Wed, 07 Sep 2044 15:31:11 GMT and last connect date is Sun, 09 May 2010 17:46:39 GMT

Thank you so very much for the information. It shows that my expiration date is in the year of 2038. This is shown on my rma replacement rds tmc receiver. I have only had if for a few months.

Thanks again.

You mean you bought this one with one year subscription,

but actually it expires in 2038? If so, I'll buy one.

Thank you so very much for the information. It shows that my expiration date is in the year of 2038. This is shown on my rma replacement rds tmc receiver. I have only had if for a few months.

Thanks again.

@gaore

My TT730T product came with an RDS-TMS receiver. Within the year it became defective and was replaced with my present receiver. I've had my current (rma replacement) receiver for about three months. The unix date conversion tool shows that the file on my unit indicates that my expiration is up in the year 2038. I will have to wait and see if my subscription expires next year as I expect.

I have found a couple different style RDS-TMS receivers and I'm not sure which one I need for my GO 730. TomTom support is strangely elusive as far as helping me pick the right one. They just keep telling me that they don't have any to sell me for my unit. Huh? I told them I found it somewhere else since they didn't have it and I just got the same story repeated.

Anyway, I have found what seems to be the "older" style pin connector here that some reviews says works fine on the 730 (I do see what looks like a port on the back of my unit in the upper left hand corner back). I have also read where the "newer" RDS-TMS receivers are built into the power cord and don't need to have the antenna run along the windshield.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Big difference in price from what I've found.

Thanks in advance...

The connector on the rear of the device is for an external GPS receiver, the connector for the RDS receiver is on the base of the device.

The unit in your link will work with the 730 but you need to make sure it is indeed a USA specific receiver as European units won't work, the picture in the link depicts one of the first style RDS devices released in Europe that didn't work very well at all which is why I am unsure as to this specific device will work with a 730 in the USA - Mike

Ask a Question